• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What battery connectors?

Cuiken

I'm building a car up from scratch (first car) and have sourced a couple of lipos and an esc that don't come with battery connectors. My initial thinking was to buy some tamiya style ones as they are simple and cheap. However, when I stopped and thought about the currents involved in modern RC, I figured that these probably aren't really up to the job anymore.

What do people recommend?

I found these but I don't know if they are commonly used. I'd rather use something that is relatively standard.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8327__EC3_plug_Male_14awg_10cm_.html

Cheers,

Cuiken

I would Recomend Traxxas or Deans, I use Traxxas because i find them easyer to pull appart. but alot of people on here use Deans.

Your right, Tamiya connections will Just melt as theres to much resistance.

dont know much about those hobbyking EC3 connectors. i would just stick to something quite common and easy to get hold of in the UK :/ being able to borrow friends batteries is always good or otherway around XD

Steve

Edited by S-D-L-88

Bought Deans as they came out most popular on a recent poll...

Horrible things! Difficult to solder if you're new to it, and tricky to separate.

I bought EC5 (the EC3 bigger brother) and they are simplicity itself to solder. Loads of youtube vids showing you the easy way.

• Like 2

Iam useing 5.5mm easy solder bullets on my boat and deans on the Savage Flux shall be changing the deans to bullets though for the Flux,but saying this Iam not a basher like the guys on here so deans would be more secure for a basher I should imagine..

I always use Traxxas, easy to solder, easy to pull apart. The fakes arn't so good, better off paying the extra for the real deal. Only downside to Traxxas connectors is they won't take a cable bigger than 12awg, I think you can squeeze in a 10awg, but it ain't easy and forget trying to get 8awg in, it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for all the info. In the end went for a pack of 5 EC3s. Dead cheap from hobbyking so we'll see how I get on. Difficult to tell without a scale reference but they looked to be beafy enough for some proper current. That said, it's only a 1:10 car with a 12T motor so I guess they won't be pushed too hard.

Cheers,

Cuiken