• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What is CNC?

stallion_explosion

it stands for Computer Numerical Control, the design is loaded in to the computer and the user programs it to use different tools ect and then the machine goes ahead and cut the item out of for example a block of billet.

The machine basically uses an array of routing and drilling bits and can work uber fast and very accurately

so when something is titled as CNC, it means cut out of solid material rather than cast etc

I really need to learn how to use our CNC routers, mills and lathes at work. I know the basics of CAD so I'm part of the way there.

What I really want to do is try out some various CNC options for weak points on my cars. Aluminium has its advantages and disadvantages that are already discussed in great detail, what I'd like to experiment is with the difference between say a nylon CNC created part and a standard moulded plastic one.

I really need to learn how to use our CNC routers, mills and lathes at work. I know the basics of CAD so I'm part of the way there.

The mills and lathes are a doddle once you get a bit of practice at them,it's alot to do with precsion control when using it.CNC is ok as well,but the input data needs to be correct else it will produce some odd looking components :lol::lol: Took me a while to get the hang of the CNC machine after so many attempts (Forgot alot of it though :blush::lol: )

There are some advantages and disadvantages to CNC'ing parts over casting them. When something isn't cast properly you get air bubbles in the end product that weaken it, whereas something that is CNC'd on a good block of metal will be stronger. After casting lots of products still require extra bits of machining to finish them off, ie make them smooth, shiny etc. The one advantage of casting is that it's much cheaper when you are doing things in bulk that don't necessarily have to be too strong, and plastic is also a bit better suited to being cast. :good:

Although then again injection moulding (which is when you force the air bubbles out of a cast) can actually produce some good results when done well.

My job is a CNC programmer/operator for a structural steelwork company. Our machinery is for the production of structural steel though so totally different to the kind of components we are talking about here, but the principle is still the same. We import the DSTV data directly from the cad systems in the drawing office, so the machines output exactly what is drawn with very little if any programming required.

Edited by DreXeL

I'm loving all the in-depth answers here. Great work guys, keep it up. :good:

Out of curiosity, say someone had an idea for parts to be CNC'd, where could they go that wouldn't cost silly money for a small order to be designed and made up?

I'm loving all the in-depth answers here. Great work guys, keep it up. :good:

Out of curiosity, say someone had an idea for parts to be CNC'd, where could they go that wouldn't cost silly money for a small order to be designed and made up?

Dejan would me more than welcome to make them. Would be hard to approach big companies, for one small part. As there machines are always on a timeline.

Well at least thats how they worked on my work expience.

Maybe someone could post a link up for Dejan? I havent dealt with him personally but his work is next to none.

A bit of digging on google should be able to find you a local jobbing CNC or NC workshop capable of working aluminium, steel and plastics. You want anything "odd" you might need to look further afield.

This is especially the case if you live anywhere near a "technology hub" such as Derby (Rolls Royce), West Midlands (JLR), North London (Ford), Swindon (Honda) and so on, as they all have small subcontractors who are geared up for small runs of prototype parts. Its cheaper to get "Fred" down the road to custom machine 10 driveshafts to size over the weekend than it is to have an entire on site workshop running....... and Fred usually has spare capacity and is probably a technology/toy nerd as well :D

And Garry, designing 2D stuff on CNC can usually be done with free software and a little basic knowledge (min cut radius, tool sizes and suchlike) i've knocked up CNC programs with no more training than that. The fixtures i made/designed are still in use now :D

3D stuff is a bit trickier! You'd need someone with an idea of how to fixture/clamp the part, datum faces and so on....... (i usually get someone to do it for me, much cheaper in the long run.)

There are some advantages and disadvantages to CNC'ing parts over casting them. When something isn't cast properly you get air bubbles in the end product that weaken it, whereas something that is CNC'd on a good block of metal will be stronger. After casting lots of products still require extra bits of machining to finish them off, ie make them smooth, shiny etc. The one advantage of casting is that it's much cheaper when you are doing things in bulk that don't necessarily have to be too strong, and plastic is also a bit better suited to being cast. :good:

Although then again injection moulding (which is when you force the air bubbles out of a cast) can actually produce some good results when done well.

Next time I get some front wishbones for my Hyper 12 (most commonly replaced part for me) I think I'll get a silicone mould made up and try some vacuum cast ones. We don't have a huge selection of materials but I'm sure I can find something suitable.

Will be interesting to see how they compare.

Edited by lordrobs