• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Show Us Your Savvy!

dazzi220

12 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Any help appreciated guys. I'm usually out of ideas!

The threads in the gearbox housing dont look too healthy, perhaps the case is being forced open slightly under load and allowing the gear to skip?

Try swapping the diffs front to rear and see if the problem stays at the back or moves to the front, that should rule out the diff itself for certain.

41 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

You could also try clamping the diffs bevel gear in a vice and turning both drive cups in the same direction to see if it makes the skipping sound then - if it does then you know it's something with the spider gears inside the diff, and if not you know it's something with the bevel gear mesh.

Edited by MadDirtMonkey

Cracked diff case maybe, or perhaps you've had a bearing seize at some point and it's worn the case around the bearing area allowing sideways movement of the bearings. 

2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

may need to shim either side of the diff matey i had that on mine i used 2 on one side and only one on other if that makes sense between the alloy diffcase and those black cups cant remember which ones i used last i checked on wheelspin

but it was waaay back 

like this buddy 

Edited by Bajadre

1 hour ago, Bajadre said:

Yeah I forgot I used to do this with the original gears all the time

• Like 1

GSGA matey i went through 3 sets of bullet proof gears 2 yrs ago before i found that video i didnt have any clicking but every jump and it would strip teeth lol it was a running joke in our group how many laps it would do before it went 🤣 think i sent about £300 on gears that year

taught me to always shim diffs from now shims alot cheaper than gear sets lol i think it was kyosho  shims i ordered in the end off wheelspin as model sport and wheelsin were out off the hpi versions 

• Like 1

Thanks so much guys, after many hours of frustration I found this, probably should have been the first thing I checked! One of the bearings behind a drive cup had failed. It felt ok by hand, but as soon as I removed it it completely disintegrated 🤣

IMG20201115172309

I guess the upside is I now know that all of my diffs are in great shape haha

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, supersavage said:

My new updated Savage.

First impressions are well it's a Savage 🤣 🤣

And the updates that they have done are good however not going to lie it is way too expensive for what it is.

It would have been nice at this price point for it to have the HD spur gear and HD clutch bell, aluminium shocks (though I never really had a problem with the plastic big bores on my previous Savage's) and maybe a better fuel tank design or at least one with a clunk.

Hoping to get the first two tanks of the brake in done later and will post up whether I come across any issues.

Apart from obvious new shell, wheels, bumper, are there any hidden improvements?

There's a few 

NEW - Standardized 17mm Aluminum Hex Hubs
NEW - Tredz Terrahex 3.8" Tires
NEW -  3.8" Havok Wheels
NEW - Pre-Cut Factory Finished And Decaled GT-6 Bodyshell
NEW - Plastic molded body detail parts
NEW - Rugged Modern Styled Bumpers
NEW - Captured Hinge Pins 
NEW - All hex hardware

Probably the captured hinge pins, hex hardware and 17mm hexes are the biggest ones. There may be a few others that HPI haven't listed but until I have to take it apart, which I probably should have done before braking in the engine as I did find a few things that weren't assembled right.  

5 hours ago, supersavage said:

There's a few 

NEW - Standardized 17mm Aluminum Hex Hubs
NEW - Tredz Terrahex 3.8" Tires
NEW -  3.8" Havok Wheels
NEW - Pre-Cut Factory Finished And Decaled GT-6 Bodyshell
NEW - Plastic molded body detail parts
NEW - Rugged Modern Styled Bumpers
NEW - Captured Hinge Pins 
NEW - All hex hardware

Probably the captured hinge pins, hex hardware and 17mm hexes are the biggest ones. There may be a few others that HPI haven't listed but until I have to take it apart, which I probably should have done before braking in the engine as I did find a few things that weren't assembled right.  

My god I just saw the price, Is that what you paid, Must say that is horrendous price and way too much, £450 tops.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, babylon said:

My god I just saw the price, Is that what you paid, Must say that is horrendous price and way too much, £450 tops.

I'm ashamed to admit it but yes. And I also agree that £450 should be what its priced at and I think apart from the hardcore savage fans a lot of people will be extremely disappointed with what they'll get.

35 minutes ago, supersavage said:

I'm ashamed to admit it but yes. And I also agree that £450 should be what its priced at and I think apart from the hardcore savage fans a lot of people will be extremely disappointed with what they'll get.

Well, My hats off for admitting it, But we have all bought with our hearts and not our heads before, But don't feel too bad because I have a feeling that nitro is gonna make a comeback.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, babylon said:

People are paying £450-500 for used ones on eBay though. Hpi would be crazy to sell them at the used price.  It is mad though.

Was hoping to get another tank or two through the Savage however I discovered that the fail safe on the stock radio wasn't working so ended up putting my trusty Futaba system in it. Also ended having to switch out the throttle/brake servo as it was buzzing like mad and wouldn't let the slide on the carb open fully, luckily I had a spare Savox servo in my parts draw. I really don't know where my money went in this one HPI 🤔

Depending on the weather and if I have time I'll try again tomorrow.

Already have some things I want to get and do. First is get a HD spur gear and clutch bell. I'm also looking at the LRP .28/30/32 engines as I'm getting the impression that the stock HPI 4.6 isn't as good and possibly not as reliable as they used to be, granted that could be my fault for breaking it in in less than ideal conditions. I also want to try and track down a tuned pipe for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supersavage said:

Already have some things I want to get and do. First is get a HD spur gear and clutch bell. I'm also looking at the LRP .28/30/32 engines as I'm getting the impression that the stock HPI 4.6 isn't as good and possibly not as reliable as they used to be, granted that could be my fault for breaking it in in less than ideal conditions. I also want to try and track down a tuned pipe for it.

Had good results with the Jammin JP-3 pipes back in the day .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think I might have to contact wheelspin or HPI about a couple of things with my Savage. The first being the throttle servo that was trying to burn it's self out  right out of the box combined with the stock radio system that wouldn't go into or let me set up the fail safe which both were a run away waiting to happen. The second after reading some YouTube comments on various channels it would appear that the clutch shoes slip excessively, I know that sometimes it can take a little while for them to break in but from what I've been reading they never really start biting properly. The third thing is the two speed gearbox though I'm not sure if this is really a problem as it were as I think it's just going to take a lot fiddling and trial and error however again from what I've been seeing even if you get it to shift it doesn't seem to be as aggressive/positive as the previous Savage's. It could just be down to the upgrade/updates they've done to the transmission but until I get a chance to play and mess with it I'll just have keep an eye on what people find out.

I've got to be honest if anyone is looking at the new updated Savage I'd either wait and see if the price comes down significantly (I doubt it will), try and get a new previous gen version at a good price or get a good used one as IMO it is no where near worth its current price.