• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

Scrumpy Jack...that looks a very clean truck!

Wrighty8766, not got any spare but ebay.com have loads available. Even got the new XXL-2 red annodised shocks available!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-XXL-2-SHOCKS-Set-of-2-LST2-Oversized-Assembled-dampers-LOS04002-/391022337406

Thanks mate, I do already have them in my watch list but I was seeing if there were any in the UK :)

It's been over a year since I last ran my LST2, need a new engine and had bigger priorities but maybe this year... Lol

Wrighty8766, I might but will have to check as it's been a while since I had looked at my extensive collection of spare parts.

ThanK's jay, keep me posted please

I've got a set currently on my XXL that I'll potentially be getting rid of. Just need to find out if my idea of fitting IRC big bores for the Baja will work out.

not the baja ones but the savage ones will i think (well they fitted on me muggy with lst2 towers + 10mm spacer)

S1051280.jpg

S1051298_zps3a5a8d8f.jpg

Edited by Corbs10

Hi all really enjoyed reading through this thread, could you help me with my original LST conversion please

This will be my first ever build and even though I think I have most of it worked out I wanted to double check a few bits if thats ok with you guys? (complete noob!!)

My parts so far

Hobbywing 1800kv 150a esc combo 4274
RC monster motor mount
Rc Monster 150x50 1 piece tray
Single speed conversion (Is there any other places to buy this as im in the UK and not sure TDR ships this way??)
pinion (An online calculator says 28t for 1800kv?)

Im running stock everything on the LST atm.

My questions are...

1.What battery (im at your mercy with which 'S') would you recommend?
2.What charger?
3.I heard about EC5 clips but don't know what they are??
4. a guy on youtube recommends a plastic pinion so if something break it'll be that (cheap to replace) do you?
5. my LST is quite old, the servos should be OK but is there much benefit to a single servo mod?
6. do I need an ESC shelf

What am I missing? would really appreciate your input

Thank you in advance for your help.

EC5's are connectors for battery and esc, I got a whole bag of them spare if your interested! The dual servo setup works fine an upgrade would be a luxury but not neccesary. The KV for motor sounds about right. Get a nice high amp esc, at least 160a 4s batterys at 4000mah would do nicely. I would recomend getting the metsl diff housings if your original is still running the plastic ones as well.

• Like 1

Wrighty8766, sorry mate but didn't get the chance to look last night. Will tomorrow.

mattmatt001, I have a TDR Motor Mount with M3 mount and M4 mount and TDR single speed conversion hub, also have and LST2 gear box forward only converted for brushless. Can PM you details and pics tomorrow if interested, check the link below for my feedback.

Edit- Used but in good condition.

Edited by JayJ
  • Like 1

oh no i thought the motor was a sure thing so ive ordered it, is 150a no good?

-font-b-Hobbywing-b-font-font-b-XERUN-b-

This is the one ive bought do I need Ec5's?

Do you know of any UK outlets for motor mount/battery tray/single speed servo?

That will do fine buddy, there's a variety of connectors you can use, and everyone has there personal preferences, other types are Deans, bullets etc, but they need to be big beefy ones because of the current draw- I found EC5's to be easy to solder and use- make sure you have a good high wattage soldering iron though!

• Like 1

That TDR stuff is defiantly the way to go, the single speed and forward only conversion gearbox I would snap up from JayJ. I have the official Losi brushless conversion kit that came with my truck and it's a bit naff compared to the TDR bit's, not that I'm going to ever brushless my LST, as after a brief fling with leccy, it's just not for me. Start a build thread on your conversion though as I'd like to see how you get on, and am sure we would all step in to help if you have any questions or problems.

• Like 1

Thank you for the help! I will do a build thread for noobs as I think there is a perceived base level of knowledge on the subject and things like soldering connectors (even knowing what they are!) is something I would never have even thought of until something didn't work/fit. This is easily the most helpful thread I have found, there is a feeling on some sites that if you don't know the basics you shouldn't be doing the build but everyone has to learn at some point!

So do you choose connections on the basis of the battery choice?

That 150a ESC will be sucking a lot of amps to power that motor, smaller connectors will over heat and melt! So you need big connectors to handle the current draw, Deans are another option, which are highly regarded although I've never used them myself, 6mm bullet types are also good for high current applications. Soldering these large connections to heavy gauge wires can be tricky. I initially tried with a poxy 25w soldering iron...not a chance in hell of getting the wire or connector hot enough quickly to melt the solder! I eventually managed to solder them up using the gas hob on our oven, I don't recommend this method though! I brought a cheap 100w soldering iron off e-bay for about

• Like 1

mattmatt, have a little look in the monsters thread linked in my signature, there is some leccy lst info in there with pics, from early on and recent rebuild, not completed, with changed layout. If JayJ is about a bit these days, he`s a good guy to ask for info, I can help out a bit, but rusty these days :0, the dude does ship to the uk, I run his stuff on mine, along with JJ and I`m sure a few others and its properly the best. That combo will be fine, as mentioned 4s with a decent c rating, 30 min with a good burst rate will give you a good punch. Plus being an lst, not lst2, your truck has a few more weak spots, but you`ll soon work out what they are.

Order up a pr losi 8t hd diff cases losb3258, and get some shims losb3951, and build your diffs with these.  

Good luck, keep asking the questions and throw up a thread.

• Like 1

mattmatt, have a little look in the monsters thread linked in my signature, there is some leccy lst info in there with pics, from early on and recent rebuild, not completed, with changed layout. If JayJ is about a bit these days, he`s a good guy to ask for info, I can help out a bit, but rusty these days :0, the dude does ship to the uk, I run his stuff on mine, along with JJ and I`m sure a few others and its properly the best. That combo will be fine, as mentioned 4s with a decent c rating, 30 min with a good burst rate will give you a good punch. Plus being an lst, not lst2, your truck has a few more weak spots, but you`ll soon work out what they are.

Order up a pr losi 8t hd diff cases losb3258, and get some shims losb3951, and build your diffs with these.

Good luck, keep asking the questions and throw up a thread.

Honestly B, I haven't been in the game for a while now... Funds unfortunately. Just can't afford the things I want so just stopped. Sold up most of my RC's including the Baja, D8Te, MBX-6Te. I do still have my LST2, the still unfinished XXXL Muggified E-LST build and my first ever RC, Mini LST2...lol

I've probably forgotten more than you have, my memory is terrible. [emoji6]

wow some serious RC P0rn there!!, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed at the idea of rebuilding diffs but there is more than enough info on here to help!!

The pictures will start tomorrow night and i'll get the thread up once its finished! I nearly didn't do this build due to the lack knowledge/soldering/rebuilding gears but I think I can pull it off now!

Its funny all the LST builds Ive seen have "still needed" lists that have motors etc on them mine now reads

1.learn how to rebuild diff

2. learn how to line up pinion with piece of paper (???) 

etc etc hahaha

So what are your thoughts on this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vo0wKq5rjk

He has turned the chassis around which gives him room for the reciever gear next to a single servo and somehow means he can mount the esc onto the chassis rather than a plate?

Edited by mattmatt001

Alright J, all good with me. Life does throw up some interesting stuff, whilst your making other plans!!! You all good though.

Had an rc spell back in 2013, when I got into truggies and buggies a bit, but still an mt guy at heart. Had a bad run with the e-xxl and put some heavy damage on it and a few other trucks, chucked them on they`re stands and left em be for a bit. Been into mtb for most of 2014, but had a bad spill and injured my neck and back, and been using the opportunity of extra downtime to sort out some of them, plus a little treat here and there. Plus I believe I finally know why I was smashing diffs way back! Have a look in the monsters thread for some recent e-lst work. 

Matt I`ll link you a guide for re building diffs, and a top end build by one of the lst forum, hdrcvideo forum og`s.

Personally I`d probably not do it the way that guy has, for a few reasons, but for you it`ll be simpler if you leave the chassis alone, and it won`t compromise your build. I`ll post up some pics soon when I mount my new batt tray and the new rx box. Plus there are a few very nice ideas in the build thread I`ll link for you, so just take the ideas you like best from all the different ones.

Just go 1 step at a time and it`ll come together no problem.

• Like 1