• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nick's Slash 4x4 "Powered by Insanity" Project ...(MGM X-Series ESC PICS! MUST SEE!)

Nick

really looking forward to seeing this in action :good:

you do have to wonder what is going on in nicks head lol. thats i crazy world i wanna see,

never has there been such a more accurate title to a thread

should be awesome Good luck nick

Today was a good day, more stuff arrived!

Though someone has failed me, the Panda is not happy (cough* hide, wrong pinion pitch :(). So I won't be running this weekend or for a few weeks at that. Wondering if I can bore out an existing pinion from 5 to 8mm.

Pro-Line V3 Velocity Wheels + Bowtie Tyres. These are 1/8th scale buggy wheels BUT are 5mm wider (not offset, actual wheel/tyre width) than standard buggy wheels. :good:

3x heatsinks + fans, will run along my motor and be hooked up in series. :lol: Why not go over the top on everything?

Then got some spurs, new batteries and drivetrains spares.

gallery_267_981_130870.jpg

Best part... because of the power it draws, I've double up the wires on EVERYTHING, it looks sick. :rofl: I can't wait to show you the motor, it looks like something out of a Sci-fi film with double up wires.

Here's my new series connector:

med_gallery_267_981_76500.jpg

Parallel connector also been made. :good: Not a common connector, so will get pics up when done as it's quite interesting. Parallel will allow double the discharge current and capacity.

Awesome stuff.

One thing though :whistling:

Why double up the wires then use deans? Surely a deans will melt before one wire does, let alone two.

This is a problem I'm already aware of, lol. I'll cross that bridge when it happens. :lol: But most likely will end up using higher rated bullets instead.

Awesome stuff.

One thing though :whistling:

Why double up the wires then use deans? Surely a deans will melt before one wire does, let alone two.

:lol:

nick you may have to consider this type of plug

IT_plug.jpg

:rofl:

but your motor is a 8hp, a standard slash weighs 2.6Kg, which works out at 3088hp per tonne

I get 3076.9230769230769230769230769231 HP per ton...

Wondering if I can bore out an existing pinion from 5 to 8mm.

If you do, use a pillar drill and make sure it's lined up properly and that there'll be enough thread left for the grub screw to lock into. I tried boring a 3.5mm hole out to a 5mm holes with a cordless drill...it didn't go well :whistling:

or this:

908753-a-cute-business-woman-holding-a-large-electrical-plug.jpg

Don't be stupid! That's got 3 pins ;):P

Nick I got your medication, hope I'm not too late :P

Unfortunately you're several months late nos <_<:P

Everybody hold on when he hits the throttle because the earth will move.

That's a lie and you know it! It'll just find its way to Australia in a matter of seconds :lol:

I completely understand where you are coming from. :)

Expense is not necessary but this isn't just a fun run RC, it's going to be pioneering the very top end electronics. Where every tiny bit of performance, starts to cost multiples more.

The ESC I have on order is being made from scratch (nothing off the shelf) to exactly my specifications on top of a brand new architecture. I'll be the first to own one of its kind. They don't come cheap but if you want the very best, it comes with a price tag. The basic version (just the unit) is around £500, however mine comes with lots of other gizmos and features, which is £612 total. Crazy expensive, yeah but it's an investment that I will be using in RCs for a VERY long time!

I'm not going to defend my expense, it's silly money but it should be a lot of fun, for me but also I'm sure you guys will get some good kicks watching the projects I get out of these electrics for many years to come. :good:

So sit back, hold on to your wallets and enjoy.... :lol:

Thanks, Thats a fair answer, Believe me, Im not one you need to justify the cost of anything too, Im hopeless with money (well spending it) And it appears here that although its silly money, its going to be worth it.

My ONLY gripe is, I genuinely believe your ESC and Motor are capable of far more than any R/C Car out there (maybe excluding the Baja?) OBviously, in years to come, we will have R/Cs capable of this (Who would have thought 60mph, 1:8th Scale Brushless 6S Lipo Ready Buggies and Monster TRucks would be avaliable as RTR's!), But by that time, wont this technology you have here, be "almost" the norm and therefore rather more affordable?

However, my sensible hat is now off, And will not come back on in this thread, Im looking forward to all sorts of things powered by this!

Regarding wiring, I've been fitting a Car Stereo otehr the past few days, Got some0 Gauge Power Cable if you need it :D haha

Edited by 19 Inch Guns

It's going to be a busy next week. :D

MGM contacted me and said the ESC is finished and on its way! Should be here Wednesday next week. :D He gave me a strict message to use MP Jet connectors, using Deans/TRX/Corallys are a BIG NO NO. :lol: They will fail, tried and tested apparently!

A fabricator has been sourced and ordered to produce a custom centre driveshaft. :ph34r: It will be made to grub directly onto the diff outputs as opposed to the current design where it uses splines. The benefit, is it's much stronger, the only downside, is that there is no freedom for the shaft to move when the chassis flexs. This is why the stock centre driveshaft has so much play, so when the chassis bends, the driveshaft can move and not act like a brace and bend its self.

Can't wait. Fans all soldered up now, just need to start sticking stuff together.

But by that time, wont this technology you have here, be "almost" the norm and therefore rather more affordable?

I don't wait around. ;)