• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nick's Slash 4x4 "Powered by Insanity" Project ...(MGM X-Series ESC PICS! MUST SEE!)

Nick

I partly agree with you Joe but as AJ said, it was no near full throttle

Neu have a recommended running of 60,000RPM but are tested upto 100,000RPM.

On 8s, at full throttle with no load, I'd reach a maximum of 85,000RPM. I must of only hit at the most, 3/4 throttle, which would be 64,000RPM, should all cells be at the highest 4.2v.

Pushing it? Hardly. This isn't a hobbyking motor we are talking about, where the magnets are melted down teeth off failed bottle cap production line workers... we're talking the real deal top end stuff.

guys....

fact is nick over pushed his motor... simple...

most motors would fail at that rpm, they just arent designed for it!

just cause it was a neu... doesnt mean you dont have to observe max rpm ratings...

the dodgey conection was a production error... would have repaired that free of charge...

really surprised their replacing the rotor tho... as it was fully nicks fault...

Neu are still up their as great motor manufacturers, just the fact they arent based in europe is a downer... as when things go wrong (as they do, from time to time with every thing) it makes it a little harder to return and recieve a replacement in a sensible amount of time.

so dont slagg of a motor because it wasnt used correctly...

:doh: :doh: This has been discussed in the past, i think the concensus was the motor had not reached the max RPM because the slash just couldnt handle, or put the power down.

Fair point. Dont want to get into an arguement over this.

Let me word it differently.

Neu wouldnt be as strong a competitor

LOL I had no intention of creating an argument.

I am far from a fan boy, I do not have loyalties to a particular brand (this hobby is alot more fun with a range of products ;))

I do not know the details, I do not know how the motor broke, or even the specification of what it can take. I do not know how Nick was driving it, So i am in no way fit to comment.

But for you to say "they are no longer a competitor" was laughable. Everything has issues. Nothing is 100% perfect, the real test comes down to customer service and support, which once NEU knew all the information, they appear to be sorting the situation out.

I do not intend speaking for Nick, that is not how I want this to come across at all, but, Nick obviously has had a poor experience with NEU, so he rightfully will not be using them again, due to his experience, and hopefully he will have alot more luck with a Lehner motor, as afterall, he has invested enough to prop up a third world country in this Slash :D

However, that doesnt take away the fact the NEU are a very highly respected (on an un bias level!) motor manufacturer, with many sucessful motors. Some will argue they have "sold out" so to speak, what with the RTR market, and the fact that thir quality and innovative-ness (making up words FTW) has suffered, but that doesnt take away the fact that NEU are a quality motor manufacturer. Mistakes happen unfortately, even at the horrifically high level Nick is at (I appreciate you aren;t dealing with the same genre of product I am). IF you delve into it, nigh on nothing has a 100% reliabilty record (maybe V-Tec from Honda, although that may be rumour. I'm sure there are Hacker and lehnrer failures out there, and I know for a fact there are a high level of Tekin Failures too before you bring them up.

All one can hope for in a situation like this, is the issue is sorted out as amicably and quickly as possible, causing as little stress and inconvenience as possible to the customer. It does appear that NEU Are sorting the issue out for Nick now, to me, this shows they are a decent company, and simply shouldnt be written off by someone who more than likely has little experience with the product (again, not saying I do!)

Anyway, back on topic.

I wouldnt have mentioned Tekin as they are in a completely different class of motor.

No i dont think nick will be using Neu again. I would have thought that this thread would have influenced anyone else (however few there may be) who in the future wish to purchase a neu motor.

As i said i dont want to argue about this

• 6 months later...

Wow! Just read through all of this and this deserves a huge bump to anyone who hasn't seen it! Really impressive stuff Nick!

Dare I ask, any idea of the next model which will be tortured... I mean used? :)

I asked Nick at the bash and he said he sold the system to a rich asian guy in Wales. laugh.gif (Same person who bought his lovely E Maxx)

I don't think he is selling the slash anymore either, he needs something to put under the nice new shell! good.gif

Wow! Just read through all of this and this deserves a huge bump to anyone who hasn't seen it! Really impressive stuff Nick!

Dare I ask, any idea of the next model which will be tortured... I mean used? :)

Thanks. :)

I have another project in mind but that'll be when I actually have some pennies, lol.

and trying to sell the slash :confused:

Not anymore, after the weekend I've been convinced to keep it! :) Though I could do with a 1:1 car, lol, I guess the bad MPG will have to do for a few more weeks! :(

I'll hopefully have it up and running soon, trying to bodge it back together, lol.

one of these may do http://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle%202028%20neu%20castle%20780kv%201%205th%20scale%20brushless%20motor/rc-car-products/39912 maybe two. you could e-mail tesla motors and ask where they get there motors 144bhp each would be enough to get a slash the land speed record and brake the light barrier in the process

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...