• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

40 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Your flogging  a dead horse fella you have been messing with the shocks for a year now and your still no better off. Admit defeat and move on . Personally I loved the set up I had with the pulse shocks and hellfire springs and I just tweaked the Pistons and oil.. Never had half the issue you seem to face but then again if your trying to race tune a rtr it's a hard thing to do ;) these are more setup for bashing over the park and the odd track bash IMO 

:lol: Well, the one with the bb's hadn't been out for 6 months, the conversion one hasn't been out for a year :lol:

Thought I'd dust the webs off ;)

Will use them for a little longer then flog em for peanuts I guess :crying: and look at the Talion

Edited by dazp1976

6 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I'd have another Trophy buggy in a second, only reason I sold mine was to fund something more sensible for me and my boys to use. I spent about a tenner on hex screws, £50 on steering arms although cheaper options are available and a few quid on an extra brace and it was totally bash proof.

Oh and I never moaned about CVD's ;)

What about the stock pile of shocks you destroyed I'm sure you had a crumble about them ? ;) 

i wouldnt call a buggy bash proof if it eats shocks like  yours did or should that be its bash proof just not everclear proof :P

5 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

:lol: Well, the one with the bb's hadn't been out for 6 months, the conversion one hasn't been out for a year :lol:

Thought I'd dust the webs off ;)

Will use them for a little longer then flog em for peanuts I guess :crying: and look at the Talion

Sadly they seem to go cheap nowadays and after all the time and effort you put it it's quite heart breaking really but that's the nature of the hobby .. Mind you if they've sat unused for months might as well keep them you never know they might be worth a few bob one day, no harm in dreaming lol 

I have to own up I've been looking a the Talion of late as a back yard cheap basher truggy and now with the electrics sorted it only leaves the hubs and diffs to address .. I reckon it might be worth a punt but I'm also looking at a getting a yeti XL at some point so who knows what way I'll go 

Was better with the 3.5 shafts apparently.

I'll have to keep mine for a bit for now I reckon as I've accumulated a few spares like 7 spare new Vorza f/r diffs (still unused) :lol:

1000w charge & 1500 psu system 

7x 6s 5000mah lipo's

4x 1700kv 4274's

4x 1600kv 4082's

List goes on

Hmmm :rolleyes:

Gonna convert a D812 with a 4082 for a laugh :lol:

Edited by dazp1976

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

What about the stock pile of shocks you destroyed I'm sure you had a crumble about them ? ;) 

i wouldnt call a buggy bash proof if it eats shocks like  yours did or should that be its bash proof just not everclear proof :P

Sadly they seem to go cheap nowadays and after all the time and effort you put it it's quite heart breaking really but that's the nature of the hobby .. Mind you if they've sat unused for months might as well keep them you never know they might be worth a few bob one day, no harm in dreaming lol 

I have to own up I've been looking a the Talion of late as a back yard cheap basher truggy and now with the electrics sorted it only leaves the hubs and diffs to address .. I reckon it might be worth a punt but I'm also looking at a getting a yeti XL at some point so who knows what way I'll go 

Good point, I guess I was bound to miss something. The 3.5mm shafts as recommended by Dazp1976 cost me an extra fiver, wish I'd have known about them sooner!

Finally finished the service (god I'm slow) :lol:

Near enough :) Should invest in a dusty cover but it'll do for now.

BlHDMnz.jpg

Just need to address the led's. Was previously running them with a separate 4xAAA box. When testing in the front room they went 10 hours with 950mah ones. When I had them on whilst running the batts were drained in 5 mins and red hot :huh:.

Must be to do with the interference from the electronics. I'll re-plan them to use less mah and hook up to rx without compromising running time. 

• Like 1

Just now, crazyfrog said:

Hows that motor over stock? Looks like a quicrun

It's a 4082 1600kv Leopard for 6s with yeah racing twin fan/heatsink. Was running it in the other Truggy because it's stronger but the big bores were causing it to keep the front end skimming along with the torque and blowing front tires. Thought I'd get this Truggy out of it's year long hibernation :lol:

Will be first time in this one it normally has a 1700kv 4274 skyrc. Want to see if these shocks handle WOT better with the Leppy. Hopefully the 3.5mm shafts hold up over the 3mm stock.

Hoping to get a grass run later today.

The Leopard is too much :( shame. Only had punch set at 2 in the end.

Back to the skyrc 1700 I guess.

Charged 4 up and on the first pack broke a shock rod end :rolleyes: Didn't have one so patched it up. Ran a second pack and it popped off towards the end of the run :ack: Now a 4hr discharge on the other 2.

Running 16/50 on the grass temps were batt 48C, ESC 57C, motor 70.6C. Borderline :lol: Even with the yeah racing thingy (hot day)

I know my batteries are up to it because my LVC is set at 3.6v and the lipo's come off at 3.68v so they barely drop. Grass is pants.

The Leopard is good if you want to wheelie all over the place and is quick but can be a little uncontrollable.

52 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

The Leopard is too much :( shame. Only had punch set at 2 in the end.

Back to the skyrc 1700 I guess.

Charged 4 up and on the first pack broke a shock rod end :rolleyes: Didn't have one so patched it up. Ran a second pack and it popped off towards the end of the run :ack: Now a 4hr discharge on the other 2.

Running 16/50 on the grass temps were batt 48C, ESC 57C, motor 70.6C. Borderline :lol: Even with the yeah racing thingy (hot day)

I know my batteries are up to it because my LVC is set at 3.6v and the lipo's come off at 3.68v so they barely drop. Grass is pants.

The Leopard is good if you want to wheelie all over the place and is quick but can be a little uncontrollable.

Why the obsession with running 6s ? 

These are designed with 4s in mind so over loading it with a fat old 6s and a big motor is always going to give you headaches .. I found that these are best suited to either a 1800kv running 5s or stick with a 2000kv running 4s 

Your not even getting any temp benefits from running these 6s packs  by the sounds of it either .. Maybe your just pushing it beyond its boundaries 

3 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Why the obsession with running 6s ? 

These are designed with 4s in mind so over loading it with a fat old 6s and a big motor is always going to give you headaches .. I found that these are best suited to either a 1800kv running 5s or stick with a 2000kv running 4s 

Your not even getting any temp benefits from running these 6s packs  by the sounds of it either .. Maybe your just pushing it beyond its boundaries 

:lol: I like to push the limit and all I have is grass atm.

The way I run these things flat out I was getting 8 mins with a 4s & needed at least a 60c discharge or else lipo nearly melted :lol: 

Was a little slow as well geared by temps. 5s on a 2000 is the sweet end on these but the new Max Hobbywings don't do 5s unless you set LVC to "disabled" which I wasn't happy with.

I get 12 mins with a 6s and I get away with 30c batteries which were half the cost of the 4s at the time so that sealed it and they're about the same weight. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Known already but:

Big bores never worked right on this thing. The angles the shocks sat at. In stock form the shafts are too thin and bend at least one every outing :rolleyes:

Bit of a pain and time consuming to do but hopefully won't bend anymore shafts :) Had all the bits sitting there so might as well try it.

Used nitrile seals 8mm od 4mm id, trimmed the outer edge to fit the 7mm shock hole.

Had some old HPI BB's, took the plastic bushes out and filed the outer edge of those to fit and made the lower one shorter.

Needed the thread hole on the piston drilling bigger.

End result looks like it'll work. The seals have a bit of a grip on the shaft, should be better when they wear in a bit.

Used the D8T Tessmann rear shafts however they are just a bit long hence the fuel tube bump stop so I reckon the way to go is use the ones from the 112mm shocks with longer shock ends.

o4m1MeH.jpg

HsiUDPD.jpg

:)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sully said:

I'm going for Matt on mine in a few weeks hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet, i was planning on doing matt too, ill post a pic in a day or 2 when its done :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I,m always looking in this topic for tips and tricks so thank you guys!

Now i am almost finisht with mine i think i,m going to put up some pictures

lEUB3x7

Front, with D8T Arms, shocks and tower

pIQ9oyu

D8T Tessmann knuckles and hub

x3cNNww

Rear with Tessmann shocks, D8T tower, arms and suspension holder

sQeCmmb

Tessmann Servo saver,  i neded this one because a bent the chassis a little for the D8T pivot plate, and the TT one jams against the diff housing

JyNQyW8

D8T Suspension holder, screwt down to the chassis. (old photo TT servo saver still here :-D )

I put D8T Arms all around, D8T Tessmann Hubs and steering knuckles,  D8T Shocktowers,   Front D8T Bigbore shocks Rear Tessmann shocks,  D8T Tessmann servosaver, D8T Suspension holders and pivotplates.  Xerun 150A Esc and 2200KV sensored motor.  I am verry happy with how it handles and the power on 4S is great with this motor.

I bent the front of the chassis a little bit to fit the D8T suspension holder, it has a different angle. And i drilled two holes to bolt the suspension holder to the chassis.  Also replaces the 2 long screws going tru the diff housing with 4mm Hex screws, mutch better!

Edited by rsremco

28 minutes ago, rsremco said:

I,m always looking in this topic for tips and tricks so thank you guys!

Now i am almost finisht with mine i think i,m going to put up somo pictures

Still can't see them. You using photobucket? I been struggling too. If so:

Copy the direct link on the right hand side under "share this photo" in PB.

Open "inset other media" - "insert from url" on here.

Paste "direct" link in the box, click "insert".

Should now come up.

PB isn't direct embedding as the image address is ending with .html and not .jpg. :ack:

Sounds like a decent rig. I want to use Tessmann rears on mine too but don't want to use the carbon tower so no go yet. I used some Hellfire carriers on the front instead too as I could then use the stock Trophy cvd's 

I've changed to running / messing with my stock one atm and put the D8T ish one on the shelf.

Edited by dazp1976

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me the thread pitch on the 17ml wheel nuts for the Buggy Flux, 1mm or 1.25mm.....need some new ones and im having trouble finding out.

cheers.

44 minutes ago, RCpete said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me the thread pitch on the 17ml wheel nuts for the Buggy Flux, 1mm or 1.25mm.....need some new ones and im having trouble finding out.

cheers.

No idea but I can do you a new set of 4 for £6.75 all in :thumbsup:

• Like 1