• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Update... I went for the Trackstar TS-910 from HobbyKing as it's on offer and seems ridiculously good value for the spec. It is a little slower than the stock item but has waaaaaay more torque. Low speed turning has been transformed although it does start to seperate the servo saver a little if you flip those massive front tyres when stationery on a grippy surface...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstartm-ts-910-digital-1-8-truggy-monster-truck-servo-30-6kg-0-14sec-66g.html

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Long shot but does anyone have a spare battery tray they would sell? I'm converting a nitro roller to electric and liked the battery tray in my old Buggy Flux.

Chris have you seen the losi 8 tray we usually use for conversions?  I'm assuming you'd have to drill the thunder tiger to fit whatever.  I do like the Vorza type battery tray mind - how it adjusts to suit lipo size.

1 minute ago, capri-boy said:

Chris have you seen the losi 8 tray we usually use for conversions?  I'm assuming you'd have to drill the thunder tiger to fit whatever.  I do like the Vorza type battery tray mind - how it adjusts to suit lipo size.

I haven't but I'll check it out now, thanks ? 

4 hours ago, capri-boy said:

I went ahead and ordered the 8ight tray from Amain. Thanks again for the pointer :)

• 2 weeks later...

https://gyazo.com/63ee6d1d7ff010b00240c56100c84a6c can anyone point me in the right direction of this part, its a metal ball with a through hole that pops inside of item 101086 (6.8mm ball end) no item number in manual and no luck finding it online 

EDIT: found em, 101080 was the number I missed it ?

Edited by StokerGTi

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

evening all   or to any 1 that still has 1 of theses  

I'm just converting  my 4.6  to  brushless.

I've fitted   motor mount   and  lower  plate   and  upper plate       but only have the 4.6  plastic diff mount.  I've tried  cutting a bit from the bottom  but  cant quite  get it square.     do I just need the flux  1    or is there more shimming to do  

I've got  and  esc tray  and radio tray 

just need a battery tray        what's best to use 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rockerlee said:

Blimey, it's dead on here now, anybody still got a tt? Not been on here for a few years.

Aye, still have my gtx2 (just a trophy truggy/lightning gt but with a slightly longer chassis) few health hiccups have put the rebuild on hold, for now at least

Allan

I know where you coming from mate that's one of the reason I stopped for a while, a few health speed bumps but on the mend now and starting to get little jobs done that I probably wouldn't of done on the cars.

Aye, I really need to get mine going again, should never of stripped my lightning gt to convert it to a gtx2, but the pull of a twin engine nitro was too great lol.

Allan

Mine is still alive, well and very active. With a few choice upgrades I'm finding it extremely durable. Love it. I actually started a new thread in an attempt to summarise the 500+ pages on here. You can find that here... 

• Like 1

Looks like a good thread, we had tried to do the same with this thread but the op seemed to no longer come on to the forum and we couldn't get ownership of the thread to change the first post to add the same info that you have to yours.

Since your threads for electric, I obviously cant post my nitro, but I will post if I can help in any way as some indo/parts are cross compatible.

Thanks

I sold my main used Flux one and kept the one that was/is still being rebuilt. Haven't used it for around 2 years at least. Been busy messing with a new cnc mill conversion.

I must check my Lipo's and hope they aren't knackered from being in storage for so long! 😟

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but looking for advice...

recently bought a truggy and after around 20 tanks the clutch decided to drag, cut out at idle and scratch all the nice orange flywheel.

Anyway, I took it apart expecting a broken clutch spring, the spring was fine, clutch was fine - the clutch well was wobbling around time touch, hence the scratched flywheel.

I took it all apart and lay it on the floor next to the exploded diagram in the book, the book shows the clutch, then a e-ring, then bearing, then bell house, One bearing, followed by 5 washers, then 1 retaining washer followed by screw cap.

Mine was a little different... clutch, e-ring, 1 washer, one bearing, bell housing, one bearing, 4 washers and then 1 retaining washer followed by screw cap. 

The exploded view shows two bearings the same size, 5x10mm. I have one 5x10mm and one 5x8mm, which I presume caused the wobble, stopped the car from idling and scratched the flywheel making awful noises.

Can anyone confirm? I hope the above makes sense - this was brand new sealed from a seller, so it seems odd it wasn’t as per the book?

Cheers. Jay

Edited by Dawesy

I lost my manual so I follow the downloaded one on the hpi website, both of the bearings are 5x10x4 on my truggy.

SmartSelect_20200525-115435_Drive.jpg

19 minutes ago, rockerlee said:

I lost my manual so I follow the downloaded one on the hpi website, both of the bearings are 5x10x4 on my truggy.

SmartSelect_20200525-115435_Drive.jpg

thanks dude, I checked the manual and thought the same. I originally thought the bearing was the incorrect size (maybe it was), but it looks like one is 5x10x4, the other I W more like 4x9x4 - I’ve been told in a few groups that it’s pretty common for these bearings to eat themselves... I read the clutch goes quick on this thread also...

it’s just disappointing cause I’ve only had the car two weeks and it’s already not working! New bearings on order though, I’ll use the time to rework my RS4-2 i guess! 

thanks chap, J

19 minutes ago, Dawesy said:

thanks dude, I checked the manual and thought the same. I originally thought the bearing was the incorrect size (maybe it was), but it looks like one is 5x10x4, the other I W more like 4x9x4 - I’ve been told in a few groups that it’s pretty common for these bearings to eat themselves... I read the clutch goes quick on this thread also...

it’s just disappointing cause I’ve only had the car two weeks and it’s already not working! New bearings on order though, I’ll use the time to rework my RS4-2 i guess! 

thanks chap, J

No problem,  I get your disappointment specially if you not had it long, I had same with a kit, I had couple parts missing and you would think from a top brand this wouldn't happen but unfortunately it does but I'm sure when you get your clutch problem sorted you will have hours of fun with it, like with any rc with a few upgrades if you can get hold of any at the moment it will be bullet proof.

Really should dust my truggy and get it out again.

20170409_140509_copy_2252x1689.jpg

On 25/05/2020 at 12:55, rockerlee said:

No problem,  I get your disappointment specially if you not had it long, I had same with a kit, I had couple parts missing and you would think from a top brand this wouldn't happen but unfortunately it does but I'm sure when you get your clutch problem sorted you will have hours of fun with it, like with any rc with a few upgrades if you can get hold of any at the moment it will be bullet proof.

Really should dust my truggy and get it out again.

20170409_140509_copy_2252x1689.jpg

Hey man I contacted the shop that sold it who confirmed it had incorrect bearings fitted, from factory. Something they said they’ve never seen in 100+ kits sold... doesn’t make it any less bitter for me!

Unfortunately that’s about it, they recommended me a new clutch / bearing set and refunded me postage which I suppose is better than nothing - my memories of HPI were quality parts for reasonable cost.

All I’ve read about it the clutches being made of cheese, the diff cups breaking, servos breaking and the wheels snapping/coming off! I know the 4.6 isn’t THAT expensive, but at near £400 you’d expect the clutch for example to last more than 10-20 tanks? And you’d definitely expect the right bearings installed...

I emailed HPI direct, cause it’s nackered the flywheel, bell and everything else... which I don’t think is right since it’s a direct cause of wrong bearings being installed at factory...

still, I want to get it fixed and start bashing it again... and fix the rs4 when the parts eventually arrive! 

j

4 hours ago, Dawesy said:

Hey man I contacted the shop that sold it who confirmed it had incorrect bearings fitted, from factory. Something they said they’ve never seen in 100+ kits sold... doesn’t make it any less bitter for me!

Unfortunately that’s about it, they recommended me a new clutch / bearing set and refunded me postage which I suppose is better than nothing - my memories of HPI were quality parts for reasonable cost.

All I’ve read about it the clutches being made of cheese, the diff cups breaking, servos breaking and the wheels snapping/coming off! I know the 4.6 isn’t THAT expensive, but at near £400 you’d expect the clutch for example to last more than 10-20 tanks? And you’d definitely expect the right bearings installed...

I emailed HPI direct, cause it’s nackered the flywheel, bell and everything else... which I don’t think is right since it’s a direct cause of wrong bearings being installed at factory...

still, I want to get it fixed and start bashing it again... and fix the rs4 when the parts eventually arrive! 

j

Hpi were great 15 years ago but they are not great any more. They just haven't improved anything over time while most other manufacturers have. 

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

Hpi were great 15 years ago but they are not great any more. They just haven't improved anything over time while most other manufacturers have. 

Good to know mate, it’s a shame.

I’m not as experienced as most on here I’m sure, but it’s pretty evident the parts were installed incorrectly at factory.

This is the inner clutch bell bearing, look at the slop in it, it’s no wonder it has messed the flywheel up! 

Id have like someone to put their hands up and say ‘hey, wrong part installed, our fault, we’ll help you sort it’. But, it seems all anyone’s done so far is send me links to buy replacement parts. 2 week old car, breaks due to wrong parts installed and I’m forking out for a new clutch, flywheel, clutch bell, and gear.  

Just stinks to me!

J

F263E303-AE34-4083-9D03-01C4C6BB8FEA.png

52 minutes ago, Dawesy said:

Good to know mate, it’s a shame.

I’m not as experienced as most on here I’m sure, but it’s pretty evident the parts were installed incorrectly at factory.

This is the inner clutch bell bearing, look at the slop in it, it’s no wonder it has messed the flywheel up! 

Id have like someone to put their hands up and say ‘hey, wrong part installed, our fault, we’ll help you sort it’. But, it seems all anyone’s done so far is send me links to buy replacement parts. 2 week old car, breaks due to wrong parts installed and I’m forking out for a new clutch, flywheel, clutch bell, and gear.  

Just stinks to me!

J

wow that is super obvious XD they might have a similar problem to arrma where they have a high turn over of employees. if they dont get trained well in the assembly then they will mess up like this :( pretty poor customer service.