• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Anyone know what size the bearings are in the stock scream motor? Looking to replace mine but hpi literally never responded when i emailed them :huh:

@dazp1976

Hi bud - i've a mate wanting me to convert both his truggy's to BL - an ST and Trophy.  The ST I can do in my sleep with bits already in but would you mind outlining the trophy for me - as in best option (ie using stock chassis where possible, E version mount etc).

ta

Anyone know what size the bearings are in the stock scream motor? Looking to replace mine but hpi literally never responded when i emailed them :huh:
I was only able to reach HPI through my old dormant Facebook account. They didn't respond to my email but got straight back to me on Facebook.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2018 at 20:39, capri-boy said:

@dazp1976

Hi bud - i've a mate wanting me to convert both his truggy's to BL - an ST and Trophy.  The ST I can do in my sleep with bits already in but would you mind outlining the trophy for me - as in best option (ie using stock chassis where possible, E version mount etc).

ta

There's a fair bit to change to go to a stock chassis.

Has a height difference between the 2 on the center diff mounts and center shafts are different lengths.

To properly do it you'll need all this. Prob cheaper to buy a new one and flog the elecs!!! :o

#101797 - CHASSIS 6061 TROPHY TRUGGY

#101799 - SIDE DIRT GUARDS L/R TROPHY

#101801 - CENTRE GEARBOX MOUNTING PLATE

#101674 - MOTOR MOUNT

#101011 - Diff Fixing Plate

#101673 - CENTER DIFF. PLATE

#101802 - WIRE GUIDE TROPHY TRUGGY FLUX

#103674 - RADIO BOX SET

#67491 - Steering Linkage Set

#103675 - BATTERY HOLDER SET

#103676 - ESC TRAY SET

#101663 - 83MM CENTER SHAFT FRONT TROPHY

#101800 - CENTRE REAR DRIVESHAFT 144MM

To convert the nitro chassis:

#101674 - MOTOR MOUNT

New holes drilling for this: #103674 - RADIO BOX SET &  #103676 - ESC TRAY SET

New holes drilling and tapping for this: #103675 - BATTERY HOLDER SET....

....(one of my holes needed a bodge as it was at the engine mount openings)

Need to grind chassis plate to straighter edges to fit these: #101799 - SIDE DIRT GUARDS L/R TROPHY

You'll need the hard #101142 gears for your diffs too on both.

Personally I think the nitro chassis converted airs more level.

I have both legit one and a conversion.

Images to show my converted one with close-ups of chassis modification for guards.

r1OL6rt.jpg

Edited by dazp1976

17 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

There's a fair bit to change to go to a stock chassis.

Has a height difference between the 2 on the center diff mounts and center shafts are different lengths.

To properly do it you'll need all this. Prob cheaper to buy a new one and flog the elecs!!! :o

#101797 - CHASSIS 6061 TROPHY TRUGGY

#101799 - SIDE DIRT GUARDS L/R TROPHY

#101674 - MOTOR MOUNT

#103674 - RADIO BOX SET

#103675 - BATTERY HOLDER SET

#103676 - ESC TRAY SET

#101663 - 83MM CENTER SHAFT FRONT TROPHY

#101800 - CENTRE REAR DRIVESHAFT 144MM

To convert the nitro chassis:

#101674 - MOTOR MOUNT

New holes drilling for this: #103674 - RADIO BOX SET &  #103676 - ESC TRAY SET

New holes drilling and tapping for this: #103675 - BATTERY HOLDER SET....

....(one of my holes needed a bodge as it was at the engine mount openings)

Need to grind chassis plate to straighter edges to fit these: #101799 - SIDE DIRT GUARDS L/R TROPHY

You'll need the hard #101142 gears for your diffs too on both.

Personally I think the nitro chassis converted airs more level.

I have both legit one and a conversion.

Images to show my converted one with close-ups of chassis modification for guards.

r1OL6rt.jpg

OK cheers - too involved/expensive doing it that way.  Is there a cheap and dirty way?

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, wiggy2k7 said:

can anyone tell me/post a link to the adaptor i need to run one 4s lipo instead of two 2s lipos on my trophy truggy flux? thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-Temperature-Soldering-iron-Desoldering-Electronic/dp/B06Y5HVCMG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1529700131&sr=8-3&keywords=60w+solder+iron this is the best universal adapter ;) 

11 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Seen here at 3:52 in this video

Edited by wiggy2k7

12 minutes ago, wiggy2k7 said:

Seen here at 3:52 in this video

that is just a deans plug that is bridged. 

3 minutes ago, wiggy2k7 said:

can you buy them from anywhere?

not that i know of but there must be out there somewhere. 

2 hours ago, wiggy2k7 said:

can you buy them from anywhere?

I'll have a look see if I have one left.

If not I should be able to put one together with 10awg cable on Sunday for £2.80 and post Mon morning.

9 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

I'll have a look see if I have one left.

If not I should be able to put one together with 10awg cable on Sunday for £2.80 and post Mon morning.

That's great, pm me your paypal email please. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Jambo.26 said:

What’s a good motor and esc combo. Converting my buggy to brushless. Looking for decent power that isn’t too expensive 

what is your budget? 

6 minutes ago, Jumper said:

what is your budget? 

Don’t have a budget. Prefer to get something based on what I want and reliability. Something for a newbie. But not to basic thst il need to upgrade too soon. 

Just now, Jambo.26 said:

Don’t have a budget. Prefer to get something based on what I want and reliability. Something for a newbie. But not to basic thst il need to upgrade too soon. 

ok. a hobbywing max8 combo with a 2200kv motor would be a great system. Loads of power.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-with-2200kv-motor-combo-with-twin-deans/rc-car-products/397267

if you want something a bit cheaper, but might not be as good this combo might be ok too.  

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-wp8bl150-bl-esc/rc-car-products/382834

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-toro-1-8-x8t-v2-sensorless-bl-motor-6t/rc-car-products/407948

3 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Ok thanks alot I’ll have a look at both set ups 

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly complete doing a brushless conversion but the chassis strengthening mount on the rear diff is wrong. I’ve found the part number 101119 which looks correct but can’t find one anywhere. I found the part in the exploded views of building the rear diff in the manual online. I have also changed the chassis to the flux version. 

On 12/08/2018 at 14:21, Jambo.26 said:

I bought the hobby wing exrun max 8 combo but what’s a good base pinion to spur ratio? Would I be better to swap the plastic spur to a metal one

So I think the standard spur is 46t? If that is the case then 17t pinion is where I would start and see how the temps are. That should get it to around 40mph on 4s and probably nearer 60mph on 6s. The standard buggy flux uses a 15t tooth pinion, but the electronics are much weaker than yours. 

On 15/08/2018 at 20:23, Jambo.26 said:

Nearly complete doing a brushless conversion but the chassis strengthening mount on the rear diff is wrong. I’ve found the part number which looks correct but can’t find one anywhere. I found the part in the exploded views of building the rear diff in the manual online. I have also changed the chassis to the flux version. 

Seen it in the manual and I see what you mean. The nitro one only has the tabs to hold a chassis brace on one side whereas the trophy flux has got two. Have you tried looking for a whole trophy flux rear end instead of just that part? 

Edited by Jumper