• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

More hassle than its worth ?

8800GT

just reread the engine instructions and it seems they call the low speed needle a idle needle and call the idle screw a black screw. Tells me to turn the lsn fully in then 4 turns out again. i will get the engine settings sorted out, Clean the airfilter, replace the fuel lines, replace the spur gear. Then i will start again. if i get the same problems will it be time to lean the lsn just a little bit ?

LOL i didnt know nitrotek was that bad they didnt know what the needles are called.

If it bogs down so much when you accelerate from a stand still you cant get it going then yes i would lean the lsn very slightly justt to help. But don tune the lsn first. I had to do this.

when the hyper is factory settngs i have to help it start by giving it a push just until the engine can pull the car and then its ok..

Edited by fredted40x

Is your model an ACME did you say? If it is I don't think they have a slide carb they have one the barrel types. If I'm right you only get a main needle and an idle adjuster no LSN or MRN. I started out in Nitro with a Acme Conquistidor Truck with a Team Iffinity .18 engine and it was like that. That's maybe why your having so much problems. Does your carb look like the one on this: Click Me!!

If you do wash the foam filter in nitro dont panic when it expands to a million times its normaly size. I wondered what on earth was going on with my two filters but once they're dry they'll shrink back to normal.

Hi it has a barrel carb. Its a team infinity 18 engine. Im pretty sure it has a lsn as the shop has told me to tune the lsn and also it looks like it has one. Look at the pics. I think the engine i have is a different one that you posted the engine instructions to. Also it isnt nitrotek that calls a lsn a idle needle thats what it says in the engine instruction

p1020598e.th.jpg

p1020596k.th.jpg

p1020599d.th.jpg

The only needle that you need to adjust is the main needle valve as there is no low speed needle (lsn) on that carb. Adjusting the mid range needle (shown in first picture) is whats causing your tuning issues!

The mid range needle (on the side of the carb in first picture) should be flush with the opening it is screwed into. YOU THEN DO NOT NEED TO ADJUST THIS EVER AGAIN! (Looks like it could do with being turned in (clockwise) a turn or so based on your first picture.)

Set your idle gap (idle adjustment screw) to 1mm (at idle) and the main needle valve to factory setting. (2.5 to 3 turns anticlockwise from closed.)

You will then ONLY need to lean the main needle valve to tune the engine. Turn it clockwise, 1/8 of a turn and then run the engine for a couple of minutes. Repeat this process until you get a good tune. (Visible trail of smoke at full speed and a max engine temp of 200-250 F.)

Edited by dark stranger

Hi thanks for the info. The medium speed needle sticks out a little bit from the engine i will make sure its flush shouldnt need anymore than a full tuen like you said. My carb gap is set its just that it moves because there is no servo horn on the carb at the moment. Engine is out of the car while i sort it out. Have a question on glowplugs where is the cheapest place to get a glowplug. Cheapest place i get them from is ebay for

is fuel tank sealing properly? an piping good?

I would suggest getting a new exhaust alloy(if current is plastic) as if got a dodgey pipe it affects tune/running of engine big time :good:

replace it all!(manifold an pipe) currently engine breathing throw a straw ;) those pipe cause engine to boil up which equals to accelated linear/piston wear.

Edited by R46

here is the msn again will it need turning in slightly ?

p1020600e.th.jpg

Keep turning until the top face of the screw is flush with the body of the carb.

yep its a plastic pipe. Dont really want to have to replace it. Woudl cleaning it out help ? Does the exhaust pipe open easily and can it be cleaned by a newbee like me ?

Try it after the carb adjustments I have mentioned. Any crap in the exhaust will burn off after a 10 minute run. A plastic exhaust is not ideal but will serve it's purpose providing it is air tight.

Edited by dark stranger

Hi it has a barrel carb. Its a team infinity 18 engine. Im pretty sure it has a lsn as the shop has told me to tune the lsn and also it looks like it has one. Look at the pics. I think the engine i have is a different one that you posted the engine instructions to. Also it isnt nitrotek that calls a lsn a idle needle thats what it says in the engine instruction

p1020598e.th.jpg

p1020596k.th.jpg

p1020599d.th.jpg

Thats exactly the same engine as I started out in Nitro and as far as I remember there was no low speed needle. As one of the other guys said you only need to adjust the main needle. Have you adjusted the MSN at all so far or did it come like that??