• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ezrun

Milliscent

An update.

My Ezrun is apparently leaving Hong Kong postal service for delivery to the UK today, so should have it by Monday.

RCMART are a good company but always wondered why it takes them longer to process the order than it does to get it shipped.

Order was placed Saturday and it was posted by them yesterday following processing.

Will let you know how it goes when it gets here.

Im taking my Rising Storm down the local sand dunes this weekend before a full strip down, clean, degrease and rebuild.

I greased every where Tamiya said to and have found that the dog bone cups are full of gunky mess,so going to follow someone elses advice and only grease the diffs.

Also going to file the cup joint slits out so get more movement on the suspension, as the dog bone is fowling on the cups (following this guide http://www.tam.ne.jp/nic/gravelhound/gravelhound-e.html link given by Mad Wolfie.)

Have also received some better ball bearings than the ones I fitted during the original build so will replace all the bearings with the new precision ones ready for the Ezrun.

Cheers

Graeme

Update 2.

My EZRun combo arrived today.

Discovered I would need to add battery connections to it and have ordered some Tamiya connectors.

Does anyone know of a decent setup guide for the wiring the connectors?

Also does anyone have any advice guides etc for wiring in the motor, the instruction manual is not very helpful in this regard and I quote "The #A, #B, #C wires of the ESC can be connected with the motor wires freely (without any order). If the motor runs in the opposite direction please swap and two wire connections."

Not being the most confident with soldering I would rather get it right 1st time.

Cheers

Graeme

Discovered I would need to add battery connections to it and have ordered some Tamiya connectors.

Noooooo......

Don't use Tamiya connectors, they can't handle power and will melt.

Get either Deans or Traxxas connectors.

Also does anyone have any advice guides etc for wiring in the motor, the instruction manual is not very helpful in this regard and I quote "The #A, #B, #C wires of the ESC can be connected with the motor wires freely (without any order). If the motor runs in the opposite direction please swap and two wire connections."

Are you going to wire the motor direct to the ESC or put bullet connectors on the wires??

My suggestion is to put bullet connectors on, makes disassembly and maintenance easier...

And then its also easy to swap a couple of wires round if the motor spins the wrong way :good:

Noooooo......

Don't use Tamiya connectors, they can't handle power and will melt.

Get either Deans or Traxxas connectors.

I have to second that.

Trust me, it may turn out to be an expensive mistake.

Tamiya connectors and bushless systems are incompatable.

OK So I will need to replace the connectors on my batteries, charger and discharger?

Whats best Traxas or Deans and where can I get them?

If I put Traxxas or Deans on the ESC and batteries do you get adapters to connect them to my charger and discharger without replacing the connectors on those?

Thanks again

Graeme

Update 2.

My EZRun combo arrived today.

Does anyone know of a decent setup guide for the wiring the connectors?

Not being the most confident with soldering I would rather get it right 1st time.

Cheers

Graeme

personally i run Corally connectors. Although Deans are probably the most fool-proof & easiest to work with. Just solder the pronged end to the ESC & make sure you cover the bare wires with the shrink sleeving (should come with the plugs) or insulating tape. I am tempted to give Venom connectors a go though

As was said though, change the connectors. You "can" run the eZrun with Tamiya plugs - the ESC comes fitted with them, but i'd not try it.. i've seen Tamiya plugs melt with silvercans on wiper speedo's so i can only assume a brushless with tamiya plugs will cook on gas mark 4!! Plus you will notice a big difference when you swap, so the 1st thing to do is get the wire snippers out & cut the begger off!

Let me know how you get on with the eZrun in the DF-02, i'm very tempted to put one in mine. Mine should be able to take it, i've got TGS diffs in the thing along with the alloy prop & bearings, plus it's geared with a more buggy-friendly ratio than as the standard kit comes.

I've now got eZruns in my TRF415 (more for club racing, for tournaments i'll be switiching back to a checkpoint) & yesterday i put my 2nd eZrun into my Ansmann... that thing is nuts with a brushless, i tried high powered brushed motors in it & it just seemed to cook them or the ESC gets hot & thermals - probably because the ratio is so high & can't be altered, but the brushless it just goes like a bullet! It does tend to bounce about a bit though when at speed, so i think a shock upgrade is in order.

... make sure you cover the bare wires with the shrink sleeving (should come with the plugs) or insulating tape.

in fact now i think about it, the eZruns come with some shrinks sleeve in the box.

Ok,

I am looking at Deans, and will make up an adapter to allow me to plug my batteries into my charger, discharger.

I am at work just now (busy working away and not surfing for my RC biggrin.gif) and going to order one mail/female set, plus 4 females, and a female with wires already connected.

The females with wires will make up my adapter and will get a tamiya connected to the other end for attaching to the charger and discharger.

The male goes to the EZRun and the other females on my batteries and I should be good to go yes?

Cheers

Graeme

how i have it is as such.. on my charger i have a male tamiya plug, from there i made up a set of leads with a tamiya plug on one end & whatever else i need on the other, charger don't tend to pump out as much as a car will use, so you can get away with tamiya plugs on chargers & personally speaking if a charger comes with a tamiya plug, leave it & make up a lead if your charger doesn't come with a conversion lead. I still have a few stick-packs with tamiya plugs which i use for connecting cooling fans etc & my step daugter still uses stick on her cars (she only has silvercans) plus it means she won't be robbing my batteries.

On the end of the batteries (bare in mind i use saddle packs, but sticks are just as adaptable) i have corally plugs.. you could put deans on them or anything you fancy, but always remember the female end goes on the battery.

If you intend to use deans, you can chop the male plug off the eZrun as close as you can to the end of the plug, then bare back a few mm of wire & solder on the deans.

the deans plugs will look like this when viewed from end on

" | - "

the way i remember it is the black wire goes to the minus which of course is represented by the - sign... not hard to figure out then which end is which, so solder the + wire (red) to the | end & the - wire (black) to the - end.

On the batteries themselves (if using sticks) do the same.. chop the tamiya plugs off & then solder on the deans in the exact same way as before... using the female end of course. If you wanted, you could chop the tamiya plug with some short lengths of battery wire left on & then solder a male deans to the other side & put the female on the stick as normal, this way then you can plug in your tamiya end if you use them in a car with tamiya plugs or hook it direct to your charger if it has a tamiya plug in the normal way.

if using saddles, make up a lead with some wire & just solder the wires to the cells & put the connector on the end DO NOT DIRECT SOLDER THE ESC TO THE BATTERY!!

Excellent Wolfie.

I will keep this post to hand when fitting the connectors.

I am planning on doing a full strip down when I fit the EZrun, and will change the spur and poinion then, will try the 22t 67t combo and let you know how it all goes together.

Cheers again.

better go and get some work done laugh.gif

graeme

In addition to Corrally and Deans, Losi and E-Flight use an EC3 connector - it's essentially a plastic polarity-proof connector with Corally plugs in it. I haven't found a place I can buy them cheaply in bulk, though.

and will change the spur and poinion then, will try the 22t 67t combo and let you know how it all goes together.

that would be the gearing choice i'd go for.. seems to work best for 19t motors

you could also fit the 61t spur from the TT-01, this will give you more top speed. if you put the 20t pinion on this should be the same ratio (almost) as the 67/22 combo

... problem is it's rare to find just a TT-01 spur on it's own... usually they come with diff cases & stuff you'd never need.

Deans have a little Plus and Minus sign moulded on to the bit next to the pin

not always... especially if you buy the dirt cheap ones, they rarely have +/- on them

Cheers Guys.

I ordered some Deans connectors, and some Tamiyas and wire for making up adaptors for my charger and such.

It will be some time before I get everything together.

Will keep you posted on how it goes, and also any more stupid questions I come up with in the mean time biggrin.gif

Cheers

Graeme

:D

Read the links and stuff on how to solder Deans, my soldering Iron is only 30W and I think it will more than likely melt the plastic before the solder.

But one of my customers fabs electrical control panels for offshor, and other process needs, so one quick word to my guy there, and their top soldering dudes will do my motor, esc, and battery soldering for me once all the connectors arrive. :D:D:D:D

Would have liked to do it myself, but did want to break the motor or esc, the connectors I could live with their cheap enough.

Will report back once its done.

Graeme

• 2 weeks later...
After waiting 4 weeks for my eZRun system to arrive I contacted the seller to try and claim for it. If anyone has any doubts about the Hong Kong sellers I can assure you that 'hobbytoys88' has gone out of his way to prove to me he isn't a con artist! I've had photo evidence of the package with dates and corresponding 'could not deliver' stickers from Royal Fail. On the plus side, I can upgrade to a different system if I want.

i too got an ezrun brushless system from 'hobbytoys88' and can safely say that i have had much, much worse experiences from uk sellers online and about to order 2 more 10th scale systems from them!!!! Rock on!!!!! :mf_laughbounce:

and yes i did have problems with cogging but a lipo setup soon sorted that and now it makes me smile (in a straight line anyways!!) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well said i would report back on a DF-02 with and EZRun.

Since I ordered my EZRun I have obtained a DF03 MS fully hopped up, and decided the EZrun would go in there.

But it didnt fit with the Xenon Carbon Fibre Chassis it has. So I need to rebuild it back to the plastic Chassis to get the EZRun in.

In the meantime I gave the DF02 to my son to use, and we went and entered a competition at my local club on Sunday. SOns first event, he improved over time and finnished by putting in 3 laps more per heat than when he started. (this was with Tamiya sport tuned motor and stock gearing.)

At the end of the meet I stuck the EZrun in as I wanted to see if it works.

And work it did.

With a little setup help from one oof the club regulars, (lowering ride height so the car stopped flipping on corners) he had a blast though my son thinks its to fast for him to control just now.

The club regular made a mock up of the regular track and took it or a few laps and was putting in times within 2 secs of his Lossi XXX4. With its novak BRCA compliant motor.

So the EZRun and 8.5T 60A ESC combo works well in the DF02. Too well for my son hes asked for the Sport tuned Tamiya motor to be put back in.

Did find out that the Accoms radio set that came with the Rising Storm bundle from Modelsports isnt work too great. Thought we were having battery issues, as the car kept conking out and going out of control, but then realised it was doing it at the far side of the track, stuck in the old Futaba set that came with my DF03 and no problems.

So now on the look out for a cheap radio set.

But have to say the EZRun DF02 combos would be a barrel of laughs for bashing, so much speed. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Next need to get my DFO3 fixed up and get the EZRun in it.

Cheers

Graeme

Was racing my new D4 at Bury this weekend with the 6.5 Ezrun and smoking everyone on the straight - its super fast. But then I stripped the spur gear (setting the mesh in a D4 isn't easy!) and had to resort to my spare car for one round. The car in question is my old Cat'98 and that also has an Ezrun in it, though this time its the 9T version. And you know what, that was flying too! In fact, its so quick I'm now disappointed with the speed I get from the 6.5 as it should be much better!

Basically if you want speed, and you don't want to pay much, get an Ezrun!

• 2 weeks later...

Me and My mate both have 9T eZRun moters and ESC and we have had them for a good few months and no problems and they are FAST! i use mine in a Car and mates in a Bike both go like hell!

we got them cheap off ebay like everyone else i guess lol as we got them together think we payed

• 1 year later...

Hi guys and thank you i have been reading through over a hundred pages preparing me for my rising storm to arrive mid week smile.gif

I have a few questions just so i get it right first time smile.gif

I was at first going to stick a 21t motor in with 22p / 67 spur

But have just acquired a EZRun 9t motor and 35a esc what i have read will work at first it will be running on Ni-Mh 5000mAh 7.2V i know lipo is better but cant afford that at the moment as just spent about