• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

I do need to find myself a nice deal on a 5D mkII. Maybe when the mkIV comes out. My 5D is starting to fall behind a little :(

I do need to find myself a nice deal on a 5D mkII. Maybe when the mkIV comes out. My 5D is starting to fall behind a little :(

the 5d mk i is still a awesome camera that was the start of a full ftame digital compact. the mk ii is amazing body love it to bits

9121707050_c3b4baa77d_b.jpg
IMG_2455 by R.Clark93, on Flickr

Edited by itsme93

Keep an eye out. The classic is dirt cheap. I would sell you mine but then im stuck using a 1D mkII with a battery that lasts 100 shots and not planning to invest anymore.

If I get a 5D II soon, ill have to let you know on the classic :)

• Like 1

Nope I made myself a promise, until I sell the 5D or till it breaks, I wont use it. I like it but I dont so rather spend the money elsewheres. Its a great camera but I dont enjoy it and the focal lengths with my current lenses. Its me being picky I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice stuff bud. Was a good turn-out there today wasn't it? Even the car-park was chock full of lush motors.

Nice few shots Tim, think the 1st is the best. 3 lacks any real impact, the subject matter isn't clear enough. You want to fill more of the frame with it and also get closer as well as using a larger aperture to blur he background more.

Some shots of Waddington today:

9234951208_a64cbc48f5_c.jpg

9232149753_e3dd315255_c.jpg

9234907584_23449b85ea_c.jpg

9232117589_645ab384fe_c.jpg

Guys, any 1D mkIII users in here?

Im looking at them at the moment since the 5D mkII/III are out of reach. I know their ISO handling is better than the 5Dc and 1D mkIIn but wondering by how much and also the AF aspect...such a slippery slope!

Im looking at them at the moment since the 5D mkII/III are out of reach. I know their ISO handling is better than the 5Dc and 1D mkIIn but wondering by how much and also the AF aspect...such a slippery slope!

Speak to Rich ;)

The price variable between a 1D mk3 and a 5D mk2 hovers between 100 to 200 pounds in the second hand market which isn't much really (unless obviously you don't have that kind of money to hand)

Some 1D mk3's had an early AF problem (a quick Google search tells you the serial number range for those affected) most should have gone back to canon or an authorised company for repair. I would be surprised if there are many/any 1D mk3's kicking about with the AF problem. If in doubt though ask questions.

When working well the AF on a 1D mk3 is excellent. Well suited to moving objects.

The 5D2 has a weaker AF system that can leave it exposed for things that move fast.

It's not that it can't be done with the 5D2 you just need to think we'll ahead of the shot.

As for ISO performance, I have no experience of the 1D3 bit on the 5D2 with good glass and correct exposure 6400 ISO shots are not to bad with a bit of NR tidy up.

I haven't brought the 5D3 into my response as obviously it's expensive and out with your budget.

Which is a shame as I class it as a hybrid body - it has the AF of the 7D and the pixel range and ISO performance to go with it.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Sent by my SG2 with rootbox 4.2.2

Been a bit quiet as I've been shooting solidly for what feels like the last 3 months! Anyway..

Got a 5D2 and a 1D3 and love them both. The 1D3 has great AF, and you can vary it to suit your panning speed/accuracy etc. The level of customization is fantastic, and the handling and the buttons on the body are much better than on the 5D. Battery life is insane, I can get 9000 frames out on a good day, with IS on and rattling along at 10FPS. I could rant on and on about the handling of the 1-series cameras, stepping back on to the 5D really does feel like a step down. I can't endorse them enough. The main downside to the body is the review screen, which is pretty grainy making it hard to tell if a photo is sharp or not sometimes.

The 1D3 has pretty bad low light performance - past 800 is knocking on the door of unusable IMHO. I've used 1600 once or twice when I had no option, but I don't go past 800 if I can help it. Where it's light enough, the pros massively outweigh the cons. It may only 10mp, but when the ISO is in it's sweet spot, the tonal range is excellent and it takes some cracking images. Exposure is more accurate I feel than on the 5D. It really depends on what you want to shoot though, the 5D2 has very excellent image quality too, but far, far better low light, but you lose on the AF which is pretty poor. If you're shooting mostly still subjects, then the 5D2 and a bit of extra saving would be better. If you're in to sports, airshows, fast moving birds (?!) then the 1D3 is great.

Canon are treating me to a free trial of a 1DX for RIAT this year. Hoping for clear skies and good displays!

Well looks like the 1D mkIIn and 5D are going tomorrow and expecting a shiny replacement...1D mkIII :)

• Like 1

I've been a bit busy these last 3 days, airside at Duxford for Legends :D

9284858297_ce43587b3d_c.jpg

9287551904_8db21aa6be_c.jpg

9287533980_209b73d389_c.jpg

9284756767_b6747014b8_c.jpg

9277210835_cdebe6d774_c.jpg

9287545884_2f27d72ac5_c.jpg
  • Like 1

Was down at Popham airfield. Not the same league as you Harry but some cool planes non the less.

Still waiting on a 1D III so had to spend some time with the Sony SLT-A58 over the past few weeks/months. Not a fan of EVF or the whole translucent mirror evolution but it was an interesting experience. Oddly, im still finding someone weird with this shot. Almost like its been PS'ed. I can't put my finger on it...

9288334926_24a2c3d560_c.jpg