• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

motorbike laws

Rc_mad

hi guys

im 16 in november (long time yet :rolleyes: ) but was wondering is the only thing i can get a moped?

as ive seen 50cc superbikes and more my favourite the dirt bike style

they have gears does that mean i couldnt get one?

here is a chinese version of what i want (i was thinking of going better est. brand tho)

link

says 16year learner legal??

thanks for the :helpsmilie:

cheers for that :D

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

whats the insurence going to be like for me?

There you are Alex! :D

Problem solved, you got a bike currently? As in a non-road legal one, that is like Pit Bike styled etc?

sorry missed that post

no dont own one have a little razz on bikes before :P

i would never ride a moped they look so queer I've always said rather be seen on a my dh bike than one but a 50cc crosser style would be ausome :D

Some of the scooters,like the Peugeot Speedfight 50's can be tuned for very little to do over 50mph and they are quite cool looking in my opinion.Two wheels is two wheels when all's said and done.I have a few mates who have Speedfight 100's that have been tuned and they get close to 85mph and take off like a banshee.I'm a die hard biker and have been since 14yr old and rather than be without anything,i'd have one just to get around on and they're quite good fun too.

People dont laugh so much mate when your riding round fully legal when they're still playing pitch and toss and peddling to get from A to B..... :) *EDIT* These are the ones I like,pretty sporty looking.They're the 100cc Speedfights but the 50's look identical.... :good:

speedfight_rcup.jpg

speedfight_lr_grey.jpg

cheers but imo i dont like them just something that doesnt apeal to me

and the yamaha DT50's get 70mph de-restricted and the gears means it doesn't just drone all the way down the road

Yeah,thats true.If you want a proper bike type ped,then the DT 50 is a cracking little bike for learning on and are easy to control at slow speeds,not heavy neither,they only weigh about the same as a packet of fags.... :lol:

the dt's are one of the slowest 50's about, as my mates 125 only gets them speeds,

if you want a fast one get a aprilia rs50, or even sr50 moped my mates did jus over 60 :)

if your looking for somethign for gettign about on get a moped a pegeot etc if you want speed then a derbi gp 50 will get you to 70 very qucik 50

think of it this way if u get one of those frankly crap 50cc crosser type things u will be regreting it in a yeaes time when ur 17 and are llowed anything under 33bhp (i think) so instead of wasting ur money to avoid a ped just buy 1 get a 70 kit on it rag the crap out of it and not give a ****²e wot anyone thinks, i thought the same as u but then found one for

think of it this way if u get one of those frankly crap 50cc crosser type things u will be regreting it in a yeaes time when ur 17 and are llowed anything under 33bhp (i think) so instead of wasting ur money to avoid a ped just buy 1 get a 70 kit on it rag the crap out of it and not give a ****²e wot anyone thinks, i thought the same as u but then found one for

wouldnt touch a peugeot scooter after all the dodgy ones we get in the shop (swarf in the carb! :o )

just get a 50cc with gears, leave it standard (restricted) as to not void your insureance, save your money up for a 125 when your 17. ;)

The only scooter I considered buying (before deciding to learn to drive) was a Piaggio Vespa. I think sport scooters look ridiculous. The Piaggios are nice bits of kit but are very sought after and consequently expensive, especially at this time of year,

Edited by bb2120

Well i ride a ped and it does the job fine but me mate has an aprillia rs 50 and they are the nuts he did 75MPH with a 70CC kit on it but really until you are 17 you are supose to be restricted to 33MPH i think then after 17 on a CBT or provisinal its under 33 BHP but im not sure but TBO there is no point spending loads on a 50 as u will just want something even faster anyway lol

ferdy

there is a kid on my road with one of the superbike ones, its 125cc, has gears... sounds realy bad and its terribly slow, today he drove past me on a open bit of road with no cars and was on the limiter :rolleyes: (30ish mph)

also i hate scooters... if they didnt sound like a hairdryer on wheels it would be alrite... but they just sound realy bad... and slow...

he looks soo funny wearing his full leathers and his helmet when hes on it... you can hear the pewny little engine struggling :lol:

there is a kid on my road with one of the superbike ones, its 125cc, has gears... sounds realy bad and its terribly slow, today he drove past me on a open bit of road with no cars and was on the limiter :rolleyes: (30ish mph)

also i hate scooters... if they didnt sound like a hairdryer on wheels it would be alrite... but they just sound realy bad... and slow...

he looks soo funny wearing his full leathers and his helmet when hes on it... you can hear the pewny little engine struggling :lol:

A 125 flat at 30? Are you sure it wasn't a crappy 50?

If it was a 4 stroke it would push 50 very easily, a 2 stroke it would be pushing 70 as standard (a few of them can crack the ton when de restricted)

Depending on what car you drive, you'd be happy to know that the majority of 125 4 strokes will beat you to 30, get a decent rider that knows how to use the gears and accelerate hard while keeping the front end down then you wouldn't be laughing at them until about 50.

I find it funny when numpties in cars try and race me off the lights, you even see some in their chavved up corsa's trying it on with sports bikes :lol:

Well i ride a ped and it does the job fine but me mate has an aprillia rs 50 and they are the nuts he did 75MPH with a 70CC kit on it but really until you are 17 you are supose to be restricted to 33MPH i think then after 17 on a CBT or provisinal its under 33 BHP but im not sure but TBO there is no point spending loads on a 50 as u will just want something even faster anyway lol

ferdy

16 your restricted to a 50cc and to 30mph.

17 your restricted to a 125cc

anything over that you need to take a test, at17 you can take your restricted test, which allows you to ride any cc bike aslong as it has 33bhp or under which you then must ride for 2years under that rule. once your 2 years are up, you may ride any cc bike...

its s shame some people take they direct access when they are 21, buy a 1000cc bike, and become a statistic:(, i think everyone should ride to a restricted amount of BHP for at least a year, not just people under the age of 21...