• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Law Regarding R/C Cars In Public Places

bildo

I was speaking to my dad about it, and a motorised vehicle is one that has a motor in it (of both the electric and fuel kind) so I would say yes, but as other people have said, the police mainly don't mind as long as you are causing no trouble.

Taken from BRCA site:

The British Radio Car Association is the UK's governing body for radio controlled model car racing. We oversee all aspects of the sport, from setting construction rules to organising British championship events, to selecting the British team for International competitions, and we have affiliated clubs all over the country. Joining the BRCA gives you:

• Third Party Insurance cover

• Copy of the BRCA Handbook

• Regular BRCA Circuit Chatter magazine

• Reduced weekend rates at Jarvis Group Hotels

• Reduced rate magazine subscriptions

• A vote at the BRCA AGM

Membership forms are now online, which you need to download.

• Full Member (£14 a year)

You can also join the BRCA via your local club. To join as a Club Affiliated member your form must be processed by a Club, so take your completed Club Affiliated Member form there rather than sending it back to the BRCA.:

• Club Affiliation Form & Pack (for club use)

• Club Affiliated Member (£12 a year - return to your club)

Jacquie Rowcliffe (BRCA Membership Secretary)

HTH

Doesn't say where / when the insurance covers you though, but i can only imagine it covers you at a club or race meeting once you have signed on to enter a car to race at a BRCA affiliated club.

I would of thought that the PLI cover would simply be there as a precaution in case your car goes off the track during a race & shatters one of the marshals shins or skittles someone's kid down as they are stood at trackside watching the race & they decide to put in a "had an accident in the last 3 years?" compo claim against you or the club.

P.S - i'm a paid up BRCA member :)

There are some amount of " barristers, lawyers & solicitors" using this site :lol::lol::lol::lol: I can't comment on the trespass issue or the legality of RC usage cause i don't know or don't pretend to either :ph34r::ph34r:

Well i worked for the Police for 10 years. ;)

PPS, nice signature pic dude.

motorised vehicles, theres a fine line with this topic, eg lawnmower it has a motor

i do belive the law means when ya say motorised vehicles, it is something you ride on, i dont fancy trying to ride on my little nitro lol

motorised vehicles, theres a fine line with this topic, eg lawnmower it has a motor

i do belive the law means when ya say motorised vehicles, it is something you ride on, i dont fancy trying to ride on my little nitro lol

true, but you would still be "driving" be you sitting on it or controlling it with a hand unit.

the same applies, i'm sure if someone came into your field & started causing havoc on a lawnmower you'd be a bit narked.

The law is open to interpretation.

The stupid thing is, this time last year they were seriously thinking about bringing in MOT tests for non-registered & non-road going powered vehicles, simply in a bid to reduce mini-moped & go-ped sales & make owning one less appealing. Imagine having to take your RC to get an MOT! But technically speaking surely your vehicle needs a chassis or engine number - RC cars's don't have or need them, so i think we are OK if that ever passed as law, otherwise how would they keep records, unless they introduced some form of PAT testing??

PAT testing??

AKA portable appliance test

only thing that can be tested is ya charger as it has a plug top on it

PAT testing??

AKA portable appliance test

only thing that can be tested is ya charger as it has a plug top on it

i did say "some form of PAT testing" - basically inferring that if some form of MOT for RC cars ever came along it may well be along the lines of a PAT test, but we are going WAY off topic here & i was only generalising, not saying it was going to happen, but with all this bureaucracy regarding MOT's for motocross bikes, lawnmowers & electric wheelchairs etc they were discussing last year, i wouldn't be surprised if some hair brained half-wit politician suggested it & the other halfwits in parliment thought it was a good idea!

OK this is the state of play as i understand it with regards to using RC's on private land.. hopefully this will put a lid on it.

You need permission, that is the most important point. This could be a verbal "yes" from the landowner or a written contract, or some form of contract where you pay them a fee. if you don't have permission, In a nutshell if you get caught by the land-owner he has the legal right to ask you to leave or have you prosecuted in a civil case for trespassing & press charges or impose an injunction on you. if you refuse to leave his land or continue to be a pest he can call the police to ensure that you will leave the property.

if the Police catch you & beleive you to be trespassing, well it's really up to them. most of the time they will just tell you to lay-low & buzz off, but if the copper hadn't had his leg-over & was in a bad mood he could & is quite within his power to take you to the land owners & inform them you have been caught on their property without permission, he will ask them what they want to & will act accordingly. basically if the land owner wants to press charges or for the police to take you to one side for a quiet word, the Police have a case & a duty to comply with the land owners wishes. Again if you are causing a nuisance the Police officer may well pull out his ticket book & slap a fine on you or have you arrested if you don't comply with their wishes.

OK this is the state of play as i understand it with regards to using RC's on private land.. hopefully this will put a lid on it.

You need permission, that is the most important point. This could be a verbal "yes" from the landowner or a written contract, or some form of contract where you pay them a fee. if you don't have permission, In a nutshell if you get caught by the land-owner he has the legal right to ask you to leave or have you prosecuted in a civil case for trespassing & press charges or impose an injunction on you. if you refuse to leave his land or continue to be a pest he can call the police to ensure that you will leave the property.

if the Police catch you & beleive you to be trespassing, well it's really up to them. most of the time they will just tell you to lay-low & buzz off, but if the copper hadn't had his leg-over & was in a bad mood he could & is quite within his power to take you to the land owners & inform them you have been caught on their property without permission, he will ask them what they want to & will act accordingly. basically if the land owner wants to press charges or for the police to take you to one side for a quiet word, the Police have a case & a duty to comply with the land owners wishes. Again if you are causing a nuisance the Police officer may well pull out his ticket book & slap a fine on you or have you arrested if you don't comply with their wishes.

Bang on.

Public liability insurance can cover you for most things, but it is generaly specific as to the area of work / recreation. Self employed peeps have it...my brother does as he's a self employed thatcher (accidentaly dropping a hammer on someones head could cause problems otherwise). I also have a form of public liability insurance for my shooting with the BASC, this covers me for any accident that may occur within the bounds of law and the area I am allowed with written permission to shoot in (family land is classed as verbal permission).

Dont vehicles have to be over a certain size / power / engine size to be classed in the same class as mini moto's / scooters e.t.c.?

MOT for my Hyper would be hilarious...watch them checking emissions and brakes rofl

yeah i've run into one of these characters before with a dog but i was driving my t-maxx in a car park just doing some high speed runs. and then the dog started chasing after my car and the guy had the nerve to blame me for it. I was with my two older cousins at the time and we had a big row over it in the end the guy gave up and drove off. if the are doesn't specifically say there are no r/c cars allowed then no-one can do anything about not even the police. All the police can do is come and tell you to stay away from people and animals when driving it.

All the police can do is come and tell you to stay away from people and animals when driving it.

Depends.. if you comply with their wishes they will let you on your way with nothing more than a telling off. if you don't or you start arguing with the bobby he may well decide then to take more serious action, but this would be for public order offences or to prevent a breach of the peace, rather than becuse you have been using an RC - not under any laws relating to unlawful use of a radio control car in a public/private place, but because of his authority under section 25 of the Police & Criminal evidence act. Likewise, if he asked your name & you said your name was something like Frank N Stein (unless it was your real name) or suspected you gave a false name he could arrest you again under section 25.

Most you would get is a night in the cells & a rollocking from the Sergeant in the morning unless you turned round & clobbered the guy you were arguing with or if you kicked something in anger or of course if you knocked something over with your car & caused any damage to someone else's property when you were running your car, you could be done for criminal damage & made to pay for the repairs.

Is this thread still going ? lol

I fell asleep a few pages back :D only jokin of course,

Simply put i would advice running your RC away from built up areas like housing estates, i dont see a problem using it in a field or wasteland (not a farmers field :P ) and if someone wants to complain .... Let them, the police will be able to tell you whats what, but i can bet my left bum cheek that you wouldnt be put on death row for it :D

go forth and ... bash

I wouldnt class an RC as a vehicle btw im sure a vehicle is somethign that "Transports" you, if you look into RC Flight laws (uk not US) youll probs get more info on whats acceptible or not. but get the match sticks ready cos its gonna be a long boring read !!!!

I wouldnt class an RC as a vehicle btw im sure a vehicle is somethign that "Transports" you, if you look into RC Flight laws (uk not US) youll probs get more info on whats acceptible or not. but get the match sticks ready cos its gonna be a long boring read !!!!

As i say that is open to interpretation. I can't say there is a definitive answer.

I think the bottom line is this.

Go out & play, but if you find you are going to get in trouble or a Police officer comes up to you, be nice & use your manners & most important agree with them then do what they ask & apologise.

I come from a background of skateboarding where over the 20 years I have done it [still counting] I have come into contact with many upset, angry people/police/security. The old rule always applies: If they are ****¹s to you be ****¹s back, if they are nice be nice back. If you are in the wrong, at fault or some other reason then let it go. TBH, I wouldnt use my car near any people..just because of the interest it gets [chav scum] but as far as old dog walkers, tell them they are in the wrong [politely] and always have a nice reasonable answer-it really confuses people when what they think will be a confrontation turns into a nice chat and you both agreeing. Like I mentioned though, if they are being ****¹s, give them the same response back.

I come from a background of skateboarding where over the 20 years I have done it [still counting] I have come into contact with many upset, angry people/police/security. The old rule always applies: If they are ****¹s to you be ****¹s back, if they are nice be nice back. If you are in the wrong, at fault or some other reason then let it go. TBH, I wouldnt use my car near any people..just because of the interest it gets [chav scum] but as far as old dog walkers, tell them they are in the wrong [politely] and always have a nice reasonable answer-it really confuses people when what they think will be a confrontation turns into a nice chat and you both agreeing. Like I mentioned though, if they are being ****¹s, give them the same response back.

well said :D

i agree