• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lightning GTX-2

Mr Terminator

Well i've finally finished getting her up and running.I bought this off a guy on fleabay for £130 delivered and it was sold as an RTR,what a joke,clutch in 1 engine was FUBAR,OWB on other engine knackered and the rhs steering servo was stripped and the truck was totally covered in fuel residue and crap and to top that off the rear springs where collapsed big time.... :angry: Luckily enough compression on both engines is excellent and pistons and liners look in good shape.If they don't perform i've 2 .28 Machstars that can take their place,engines are standard .26 Power Factory with rotastart,2.6hp each... :)

First she was stripped and degreased and all parts ultrasonically cleaned (except fuel tanks)by moi,that makes em shing.After that I just put her to roller status and sourced the parts and then began to make the air filter conversion that came on the truck as an ornament to work.The airscoop is off a Kyosho twinforce Gigacrusher and has a foam element in the air box.Just made some air duct extension pipes out of placky irrigation conduit and joined them up to the carbs with silicon filter extension elbows by Fastrax and soe zip ties. Fastrax failsafe all which I had lying around.Fitted stiffer Hot Bodies white springs all corners from standard yellow and re oiled shocks with Orion Sledge oil 40/400 and the diffs just re greased with HPI Heavyweight diff grease 3000.Finally engines fitted with new HPI purple silicon exhaust manifold gaskets, Venom fuel lines all round and two Golden Horizon Purple filters and new Venom purple silicon exhaut couplers, McCoy MC-9 plugs and run on 25% MS Powermax,234o F and 235o F respectively.The only thing she needs now is a rear bumper to complete and a wide open space to let her rip.... :good: Anyway hope you guys like her and it stands me less than £170 for a truck that originally cost just over £500 new....Bonus..

Photo-0044.jpg

Photo-0042.jpg

Photo-0041.jpg

Photo-0047.jpg

Photo-0045.jpg

Photo-0046.jpg

Stay tuned for the future Nosram RS .28 Evo engines and the Mr Terminator design 2 speed tranny..... :P Oh yeah,sorry bout picture quality only the phone camera,digi ones had it.... :)

Edited by Mr Terminator

Nice truck carl, got a bargain there mate, its typical of ebay stuff ready to run yeah my a**e, like my havoc was supposed to be it needed the uprated clutch bell and gear and bearings to get it up and running but saying that it only cost me £140 and it has some upgraded speed secret options on it.

Make a vid on it soon mate bet it will have plenty of power, the Nosram.28 twin engines might be a little over kill mate to be honest you can only put so much power to the ground as you know.

marty :)

Cheers guys,just glad that she actually moves now.The Nosrams may be a little too much Martin so could go for some little less pokey engines,the 2 Machstars i've got should do the job but only when I design a 2 speed for it cos there's none out there standard which is a bummer but hey that's what it's all about.... :) Thanx again guys for the comments..... :good:

Looks really good!!

The scoop idea looks intresting

U got any piiks fo the scoop with the shell on

And where is the filters? in the scoop?

Ziggy

Looks really good!!

The scoop idea looks intresting

U got any piiks fo the scoop with the shell on

And where is the filters? in the scoop?

Ziggy

There's pics on this post with the shell on showing the scoop,I think that's what you mean Ziggy.The scoop has a collector box underneath it and the filters in that... :) Cheers mate... :good:

Now that is one sweet looking truck. would be good to see a video of it going. :good:

chris

As soon as weather permits Chris i'll do one,well the wifes the the camerawoman... :lol: Cheers for compliment,glad you like it mate... :good:

hey mate

do you have a temp gun mate. i found with the twin engine mp777 i built that the best way to ballance the engines was by temperature. its so easy to do, get both engines running get them up to full temperature and take a reading from each engine. the engine that is the hottest is working the most, you can then retune the other engine to match keep doing this untill both engines are running as roughly the same temp.

hope this helps you a bit

chris

hey mate

do you have a temp gun mate. i found with the twin engine mp777 i built that the best way to ballance the engines was by temperature. its so easy to do, get both engines running get them up to full temperature and take a reading from each engine. the engine that is the hottest is working the most, you can then retune the other engine to match keep doing this untill both engines are running as roughly the same temp.

hope this helps you a bit

chris

Yeah thats how I did it,i've got computer controlled diagnostics in one of my workshops that I use for the bikes and it's got a temp probe on there,a bit overkill maybe but dead accurate.That's as close as I got it with that but did'nt spend a lot of time doing it and probably can get it better with a little more time spent... :) I've seen that 777 of yours Chris and that's sick fast,not that clued up on that buggy but OMG the take off is mental,are they geared? I don't think this truck will be anywhere near that fast,It's got a 50 tooth spur gear and 13 tooth clutch bell,I can get a 14T Clutchbell but i'm going to leave it on stock gearing for now and think up a 2 speed from another model similar to the XLB buggy or Hyper style tranny.If I can get her upto around 60-65mph i'll be well happy..... :good:

Yeah thats how I did it,i've got computer controlled diagnostics in one of my workshops that I use for the bikes and it's got a temp probe on there,a bit overkill maybe but dead accurate.That's as close as I got it with that but did'nt spend a lot of time doing it and probably can get it better with a little more time spent... :) I've seen that 777 of yours Chris and that's sick fast,not that clued up on that buggy but OMG the take off is mental,are they geared? I don't think this truck will be anywhere near that fast,It's got a 50 tooth spur gear and 13 tooth clutch bell,I can get a 14T Clutchbell but i'm going to leave it on stock gearing for now and think up a 2 speed from another model similar to the XLB buggy or Hyper style tranny.If I can get her upto around 60-65mph i'll be well happy..... :good:

the 777 will be quite a bit lighter than your gtx-2 so will have the advantage on acceleration, but i am limited to gearing that is available. i run it with 2X 22t clutchbells 46t spur 13/43 diff and pinion, and 4.5" wheels. if you can get a 2 speed box fitted and a small spur and big clutch bell you shouldn't have a problem getting speeds over 70 mph. i would think in order to go any quicker you would need to upgrade the H/B .26 engines to something with a bit more power. if you give me your wheel diameter and diff set up ie teeth on bevel and pinion i will tell you what spur and clutchbell would be best for top speed.

chris

Ive got the new type snap on infra red temp gun bud and its brilliant (£70 or more can't remember)for my nitro car as a guide line, i use it mainly at work checking for mis fires on engines, point it at the manifold and see which is the cold one and you got the cylinder thats gone down a pot.

I also use it for coolant blockages and brakes for binding.

marty :)

the 777 will be quite a bit lighter than your gtx-2 so will have the advantage on acceleration, but i am limited to gearing that is available. i run it with 2X 22t clutchbells 46t spur 13/43 diff and pinion, and 4.5" wheels. if you can get a 2 speed box fitted and a small spur and big clutch bell you shouldn't have a problem getting speeds over 70 mph. i would think in order to go any quicker you would need to upgrade the H/B .26 engines to something with a bit more power. if you give me your wheel diameter and diff set up ie teeth on bevel and pinion i will tell you what spur and clutchbell would be best for top speed.

chris

Cheers Chris,i'll get back to you with the diff set up figs and the wheel diameter,I know the tyres are 7" but i'm not sure if the wheels are 5.8" or not i'll have to check in the specs.... :good:

Use Snap on myself Martin,the best there is in my opinion... :)

right just had a quick look and it seems the bevel is 43t and the pinion is 13t if your tyre size is 7" for you to be able to get to 65 mph you would need an 18t clutch bell and the engine's reving at 30,000rpm. if top speed is your goal mate i would advise you get rid of those wheels get the 17mm savage hex conversion kit and go for some light weight truggy type wheels and tyres. you dont need a 2 speed box to acheive 70mph but if you go down to 6" diameter tyres you will need a 46t spur and 20t clutch bell and 32,000rpm on the engines.

hope this helps

chris

right just had a quick look and it seems the bevel is 43t and the pinion is 13t if your tyre size is 7" for you to be able to get to 65 mph you would need an 18t clutch bell and the engine's reving at 30,000rpm. if top speed is your goal mate i would advise you get rid of those wheels get the 17mm savage hex conversion kit and go for some light weight truggy type wheels and tyres. you dont need a 2 speed box to acheive 70mph but if you go down to 6" diameter tyres you will need a 46t spur and 20t clutch bell and 32,000rpm on the engines.

hope this helps

chris

Cheers mate,that helps loads.I've already got 17mm hex's on it the wheels are 17mm hex so I'll just get truggy dishes with dirtbonz on or similar.Thanx again Chris your a star mate..... :good:

If it helps the lightest wheel/tyre combo I've found is Kyosho STR Wheels and Pro-line Bowties MTR, I think they came in at something around 190g each.

Cheers mate,suggestions and opinions always welcome fella.... :good:

Took her out yesterday and OMG,this truck is phsycotic.The suspension could do with further tweaking but the power is amazing and quite a bit faster than I thought it would be.The plan now is to change the shock oil to a heavier grade and that should sort it out.The air scoop works excellent and feeds the carbs better than I thought it would,so all in all a good first test.Stay tuned,there's more to come..... :D

Nice to hear it's working well. I'm currently fixing up and cleaning one of them Nitrotek trucks - They don't look that bad to be honest but the gear mesh is quite bad (luckily it's adjustable).

Which Nitrotek trucks do you mean? :)