• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I now have a Losi 5ive......

Well in a few days anyway 😁

Paid over the odds but it looks so very tidy and in good condition, even the chassis is virtually unmarked.

TBH I wanted a 5ive all along but there was nothing even remotely local to me for sale, don't get me wrong I certainly don't regret buying the Baja but the DBXL was a bit of an impulsive 5ive replacement.

I am not 100% if I am going to keep the DBXL now, we will see.

Also not sure if I am going to keep this petrol or go brushless, only thing helping me decide is the potential additional cost to go brushless, this is basically complete even though it will get a full strip and rebuild with some obviously added upgrades 😁

Screenshot_20240414_183645.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_183653.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_183708.jpg

• Like 2

Brushless is awesome, but I'm biased as it's my preferred method of propulsion. 

However, it ain't cheap. You can cut costs with a 35 quid motor mount and make your own battery boxes. 

For the ESC, Max4 is king, awesome piece of kit. 

Cells? Plenty of choice out there. 

Looks like a well cared for, hardly used truck. Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

All being well should be getting this tomorrow, excitement starting to build now.

Had to get some bits to finish the Baja (well at least get it running) before starting on this one, however I might be restrained for now and completely finish the DBXL and Baja first otherwise it might not happen.

Still mulling over what to do with this and wether to stick to petrol or not.

Can't get over how clean this is, almost feeling guilty at the thought of stripping it down.

Tempted to keep it as it is and just use it but it would need a kill switch fitting at least as it currently doesn't have one and I just think it would end up being a waste of £s if I do go brushless eventually and with 3 other RCs to use in the mean time part of me says stick to the plan 😁

Everything else looks so small now!

IMG_20240418_221247.jpg

• Like 2

Looks very nice indeed,Im impressed. Like the new wheels on it.(last pic)👌. A very capable machine even in standard form. Number 1 on your list is as you say, a kill switch is a must, trust me. I was lucky with mine, I hit a brickwall thats what stopped it😆. IMO I would definitely do the shoe goo mod on the bodywork.The first crash and subsequent crashes after split every panel, even on small rollovers etc. Something I regret not doing as now a new Losi body shell  is upwards of £250. I personally went for an air filter upgrade and an exhaust on mine. The standard exhaust I think sounds more like a petrol strimmer/lawnmower. Now mine sounds like a small motocross bike. Much better 👍

Well I am going to keep this body and most likely get one of the 30deg North flexible jobbies, I quite like not having the rear fenders on the stock body and the 30DN has very minimal rear fenders so.........

Going to start with something cheap first and sort the shocks out, they are fine but the stock blue springs are weak, the previous owner wound the adjusters so low on the rears the springs were buckling.

I prefer soft suspension, the roll in the corners, the squat under acceleration, the nose kissing the ground under braking, awesome stuff. 

Nowt wrong with a bit of chassis slap, can aid handling. 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

This thing continues  to surprise me.

Got the back end in bits and had the diff out, was going to buy a rebuild kit but it really doesn't need it, the oil inside was clear as well, used to opening diffs and finding a black gooey mess but not in this case.

Ordered a Taylor RC rear diff case, shock tower, rear brace and diff oil to get me going.

Thinking I might mock it up on the stock chassis and then when it is all done (less motor etc) will transfer it all to a Taylor RC chassis, still toying with maybe sticking with petrol and getting a big bore engine so working along those lines.

If I do go brushless it will be 12s, hence me going a bit overkill with the rebuild ether way.

• Like 1

Added a few more bits back on after yesterdays delivery, rear anti roll bar and bumper now in place. 

Changed fixings to stainless steel using some i had left from the Baja build but need to order a few more. 

Emptied and refilled rear shocks and ordered slightly stiffer springs. 

Shock tower and rear uprights next when i get paid in a few days. 

IMG_20240424_113453.jpg

• Like 1

Did the centre diff today, messy but again existing oil was very clean. 

Tidied the rear centre drive shaft, was okay but a bit rusty in places, got some 16mm 4:1 heat shrink to cover over the nastiness 😁

Made a bit of a gaff and had to redo a small section towards the centre diff but you can hardly tell. 

IMG_20240501_154309.jpg