• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I used to have a Baja 5T, what's new?

Depends what you are looking for.

If you want a new Baja, get a KingMotor clone. They are the nearest thing to the real thing out there. Having owned both, the only issues I had with mine was down to prep work and the fact I bought the absolute cheapest one they did as I was going to swap a load of parts anyway. Sincew then, they have started putting better bits on and generally upped the spec a bit.
I still wouldn;t buy an all alloyed one though, as they put things on that I simply would NOT have alloy.

There were minor changes in gearing which meant gearboxes were not compatable, and they used to ship with some pretty awful servos. The gearbox worked fine ( once I replaced the diff oil and packed the housing with actual grease) and I replaced both servos with much better items. I think the newer KMs come with servos that are far more usable than the cheap toy ones I had back then.

The shells were clear ABS though, rather than lexan. They do a 5T version, but you would have to be careful with the body.

These guys:  https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/

are the importers for both the buggies and spares.

The entry model KM001 now comes with a proper Walbro carb ( not the awful clone carb). alloy diff, reasonable shocks and a tuned pipe.  Then you can just sit back, open the wallet, and upgrade from there.....

They do a load of Rovan clones as well, but I have never tried one. They used to be rubbish. Might be a lot better...but I don't honestly know. I have only owned KM and genuine HPI.