• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Returning to the hobby

bashman

Hi everyone. Haven't been on here for years. Returning to RC bashing with my old nitro stuff (I'd forgotten how much fun it is).

Thing is, I can't help noticing that hardly anyone is interested in nitro nowadays.  It's all gone electric.  I haven't got a spare £1000 to go out and buy an electric truggy or 1/8 buggy. I enjoy the tuning process but spare parts are thin on the ground.  My question to you all is this.  Should I ditch the nitro stuff and save up and go brushless. I know they can be much faster than nitro if you go 6s or 8s but I know absolutely nothing about electric.  I love the nitro sound and smell and I think I may regret spending hundreds on a fast brushless model. The batteries are mega expensive and I have heard that they can catch on fire 🔥 when charging. Please give me some advice.  I could use brushless in the street outside my house and not bother the neighbours too much. Cannot do that with nitro. Not worth selling my nitro cars as they aren't worth anything.  

Many thanks in advance for your advice. 

If you are having fun with nitro....why change?

I still have a few nitro trucks, but I also have some I converted to brushless.

A reasonable conversion can be had for a Hyper 7, but by the time you get batteries, charger, motor, ESC and copnversion parts it will leave a £500 hole in your bank balance. It's down to you whether you think that's something you want to do.

Get a used 1/8 buggy/truggy/rally, sometimes sold with lipos, or get new 2 x 4s lipos and lipo charger,  have a look at sales section on this forum, <£500 assuming you have tx/rx. Nitro is always more fun, if you can find somehere local where noise doesnt offend too many. Lipos arent anymore dangerous than any orther energy storage device as long as common sense and care are taken. What nitros do you have?

18 hours ago, locky said:

Get a used 1/8 buggy/truggy/rally, sometimes sold with lipos, or get new 2 x 4s lipos and lipo charger,  have a look at sales section on this forum, <£500 assuming you have tx/rx. Nitro is always more fun, if you can find somehere local where noise doesnt offend too many. Lipos arent anymore dangerous than any orther energy storage device as long as common sense and care are taken. What nitros do you have?

I have a brilliant Kyosho Inferno Neo which I have swapped out the . 21 engine for a .25 and taller gearing and better servos. This thing is rapid for a nitro model.

I also have a HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 which is  very quick too, considering I'm a crap driver. Just love nitro. Shame it's not that popular now.

6 hours ago, bashman said:

I have a brilliant Kyosho Inferno Neo which I have swapped out the . 21 engine for a .25 and taller gearing and better servos. This thing is rapid for a nitro model.

I also have a HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 which is  very quick too, considering I'm a crap driver. Just love nitro. Shame it's not that popular now.

I have at trophy truggy too, i did a 5.9 swap in mine, it really is a lot of fun and really fast, i think i i have a 17t clutch bell on mine