• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Paint for lexan bodyshells

I'm painting up a couple of bodyshells.  I ran dry whilst painting the two shells.

Normally, I use Tamiya PS rattle cans but my local R/C shop has very low stock (and none of the paint colours I wanted except for Champagne Gold), but he did have some Core RC paint (which says it is for polycarbonate bodies).

Does the Core RC paint play nicely with Tamiya paint as I have two part-sprayed shells or does it react in any way?

Also, if the Core RC paint is any good, it seems to be better value - cheaper per can than Tamiya PS and 150ml of paint instead of 100ml.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 21.54.32.png

Thoughts?

Is Core RC Paint any good, can it be used alongside Tamiya PS paint, do folks use it/recommend it?

Thanks in advance,

CC

Edited by Captain Courageous

Core rc paint isnt bad not quite as good as Tamiya paint

does it react dont know i had in past used tamiya fluro ornge and ran out and the used core fluro orange it didnt react but cant vouch for other colours

If its really urgent to get the paint you could buy it online from like Modelsport , Wheelspin etc 

Thanks for the replies.

Just tried some Core RC White Knight over Tamiya PS -16 (Metallic Blue) and PS -57 (Pearl White) and there is no adverse reaction.

Looks like Tamiya PS and Core RC paints can be used interchangably.  Guy in the model shop said that Core RC paint splatters a bit so best to warm the can up in some hot water first - which I did - and no issues.

As the Tamiya paint is approx £6.75 for 100ml and the Core RC paint is £5.75 for 150ml (=3.83 per 100ml), looks like I'll be switching to Core RC in future.

CC

This was painted in both tamiya and core paints and it had no reaction (the orange is tamiya and it's backed with the metallic core RC silver

IMG_20230107_212314.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Courageous said:

That's a heck of a big bucket on the rear there Fred!

😁

Standard mardave hot hatch wing to keep the back end down 🤣 the raw power from the 4.8v battery needs it 🤣 but it does look smaller in green than orange 🤔

IMG_20230106_194829.jpg

• Like 1