• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Tamiya BBX Build

Kpowell911

I caved and bought the wheel. Also, whilst I was at Tony’s TTP, I picked up some eBay orders Id bought which were about to ship

mnkn6k9.jpg

I now have the spare, which I think youll agree finishes off the rear:

IUsXMgO.jpg

Now, Ive sang the BBX praises, but one thing the BBX doesnt appear to be is easy to work on. So god knows how Im going to get the transmission out 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Jesus, Id have snapped that up just for the build. Its thoroughly enjoyable!

Not for me, i am looking for a Tamiya to build but thinking a drift touring car, im even tempted with another MF-01x as i really like these

• Like 1

when i first seen that buggy announced i was like wow looks sweet but pricey for what it is, now after looking through your build thread im getting tempted lol

cracking looking buggy bud and good job building it, looks awesome 🙂

if you ever run it get a vid of it  🙂

Added the Slipper and Gear Diff. Also glued the tyres. 

xCPJThb.jpeg

Wasn't as bad as I thought getting the tranmission back out. 

4ci48TB.jpeg

Wasn't sure on fitting the gear diff, but I am running quite a powerful motor and I have it. Also its quite a big job to get to this again so may as well do it all in one go:

9oD4h77.jpeg

Really over complicated Slipper IMO. Why is the slipper spring on the opposite side? Couldve just gone with a Traxxas/Associated style which I expected it to be. Ah well all fitted

u0KWkbN.jpeg

Im gonna call this one done. TRF Shocks wouldnt look right IMO. Now to use it:

l0RvZM3.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

when i first seen that buggy announced i was like wow looks sweet but pricey for what it is, now after looking through your build thread im getting tempted lol

cracking looking buggy bud and good job building it, looks awesome 🙂

if you ever run it get a vid of it  🙂

Its a weird one. 

Its a £320, 2WD Buggy Kit. No electronics. Not even a slipper clutch which is £55 and lets be honest, quite important. Its also not a racer like an Associated B6 or whatever the latest one is called. 

BUT it is a great build, and theres a lot more to it than youd think. Its probably not worth the money, but if we were bothered about value for money, we wouldnt have a hobby would we?

Ill definately run this one. Problem is, I paid £299 for my Egress Black, admitedly on offer. Thats a 4WD, Carbon & Alloy legendary Tamiya kit, so I must admit that represents better value for money. With the Slipper & Gear Diff, mines cost more than an Avante Black Special Edition, from MB recently, which is arguably a re re of Tamiya's most legendary kit ever

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its a weird one. 

Its a £320, 2WD Buggy Kit. No electronics. Not even a slipper clutch which is £55 and lets be honest, quite important. Its also not a racer like an Associated B6 or whatever the latest one is called. 

BUT it is a great build, and theres a lot more to it than youd think. Its probably not worth the money, but if we were bothered about value for money, we wouldnt have a hobby would we?

Ill definately run this one. Problem is, I paid £299 for my Egress Black, admitedly on offer. Thats a 4WD, Carbon & Alloy legendary Tamiya kit, so I must admit that represents better value for money. With the Slipper & Gear Diff, mines cost more than an Avante Black Special Edition, from MB recently, which is arguably a re re of Tamiya's most legendary kit ever

Talking of price, the BBX is currently on sale at AsiaTees.  Kit price is 184.04 GBP!  The price, including shipping by FedEx to UK is 207.40 GBP.  Delivery is 2-4 business days from Hong Kong.  Maybe you will get caught for import duty, maybe you won't, but the price is VERY tempting...

• Like 2

Right so first time out with this:

z62UXQu.jpeg

First of all. I expected the 5400kv motor to be too much on 2S. But it handled it well. I only popped round the local park which was a car park, with a tiny bit of rough stuff. However, HS2 works had filled the area with machinary so it was only a car park and a football pitch. 

Without offending anyone, I didnt expect much from the BBX. Im used to much more powerful bashers, but I really wanted the BBX build experience. You know what? This is fantastic. The motor wasnt too much, it was extremely smooth and fast on 2S. It handled better than I expected, for example its nicer to drive than my Rustler VXL which is what I expected it to be like. It swapped direction too much when I applied the brakes on tarmac but that could be a tuning/tyre thing. What suprised me was how it handled if Im honest grass that was far too long for it! It skipped over it. I genuinely cant wait to use this on loose dirt. Im actually Impressed so far! It performs better than expected. Its quite funny to see an "old school" Tamiya, but going 4 times faster than an 80s brushed Tamiya with an MSC haha. 

However, when I fitted the gear diff, i noticed the outdrives were a bit shorter than the Ball Diff, and a driveshaft popped out. Wonder if Ive done something wrong

acAF2xP.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Ok, so Ive had this since September. Lets just look at the facts.

I have £550-600 in this buggy. I thoroughly enjoyed building it. I know I didnt need Brushless System and the servo may be over kill. I also have a Slipper Clutch and TA06 Gear Diff, and the spare wheel. But thats where it is.

Now I know Im the guy who is used to much more powerful/larger scale R/Cs. Im usually out with my X Maxx, so going to this Tamiya was a bit of an odd choice for me. However, I really wasn't gelling with the BBX. I couldnt help thinking how much better off Id have been with literally any other RTR. I struggled to use it, which is probably more on me. It wasnt good enough off road, and it just span a bit too much. I adore how it looks, and the build, but dare I say it, I was massively dissappointed with the BBX. As I say, its probably a me thing. I compare it to say a Rustler 4x4, which can be had for similar money as what I have invested, and it just doesn't make any sense to me, other than being far prettier. 

Im well bitten by Tamiya now, and my Traxxas' etc sit gathering dust. I've picked up an Top Force Evo, and my plan was that 2WD was the issue not just the BBX, so I was going to strip the BBX of its electronics, put them in something else and maybe move the BBX on. However, I decided to have one last bash today.

I didnt really want to drive around a car park, but I struggled for places to go. I charged up a 2S lipo and off I went....

Ironically I ended up at a car park, because Severn Trent are doing some work on the 'stoney bit' so.....

I genuinely had a good time. It seemed to perform a bit better than I remembered. I probably had it out more today than I have since Ive owned it combined! I still spin out under braking far too often, and maybe Id benefit from a slower power system (as the lipo was charging, I pulled out a 1060/Superstock BZ combo to downgrade too) but I had quite a bit of fun.

I even moved Severn Trent's cones to make a little track.

gswJJUK.jpeg

iWHqxTP.jpeg

7bYPlNr.jpeg

Here's the Top Force Evo I intended using over the BBX..... Not sure now??

vdUvIuE.jpeg

U9ElGD7.jpeg

Maybe in the Spring Ill find some dusty tracks and the BBX will come into its element.

So for now, the BBX survives the chopping block!

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 3

I have had rc`s that i just did not gel with both cars and planes, but i also have some i really like but just dont get to run like my Blitzer beetle, i keep saying i will sell it on but i do like it, just dont use it, still not sure what i will do with it and i think a coupe of my crawlers need to go to free up space, keep at it with the BBX and maybe each time you run it you may like it even more

• Like 3