• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Tamiya BBX Build

Kpowell911

Decided to make a start tonight. Not really planned this much, just going for it. 

K4UW72j.jpeg

First up, a ball diff. Probably going to actually use this RC, and Ive gone a bit crazy with the motor as youll see later, so this may need upgrading to the TA06 Gear diff. But for now

https://i.imgur.com/pQLmzCz.jpg

3MRz9Jh.jpeg

Simple so far, we have a gear box. 

snDW6dZ.jpeg

I normally leave electronics till last, but Mr Tamiya wants me to fit it now. Originally was going

1060/BZ Motor. Still might, but a quick check of the stash.....

IFO1As4.jpeg

I had a brand new Max 10/5400kv Sensored Combo. This may be too much, this also may not fit. But hey.

SCbDql0.jpeg

Now heres something else. I originally planned this build with a gear diff, the Slipper Clutch and TRF Shocks. However, whilst this was on order, I bought an Egress Black (and an Avante Black, but thats another story......) which has took a massive chunk out the budget. Im not sure wether to stop the build till funds recover and at least go with the slipper and diff (and go with stock shocks). The diff and slipper wont leave much change out of £100..... but I have gone OTT with the motor.....

The gear cover is a weird material, kinda rubbery?

VDfwBQO.jpeg

Thats mounted to the chassis with some very small screws. Chassis is nothing special, not actually as good as usual Tamiya stuff IMO. Seems to have a few mould markings etc

Ex3qmS8.jpeg

I then built up the 4 Links and added the brace. Everything is going together very smoothly to be fair

hY4ak0a.jpeg

I finished Bag B which was the steering. But Ive not decided on a Servo yet. I may go and pick up a nice snazzy Savox Low Profile one tomorrow, if not Ill use my SRTs I have. Either way Im not using the stock servo saver. 

H0qj8pk.jpeg

C Bag next. But thats enough for tonight......

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Spend now as when January comes you wont be able to :insane:

well within reason lol :rofl:

Im fully aware of that haha. Its space thatll be the issue I think as we only have a 2 bed, and the RCs are in the 2nd bedroom. Ill probably sell my Revo Summit and Maxx. Good thing about Tamiya's is theyre small ish. Ill probably take them all round my parents and put them all in my old bedroom, but thats 40 miles away. We will see. 

• Haha 1

Coming on well, i totally get what you say regarding space and you have a little one on the way, for me i will not let my hobby encroach into the house so all my stuff is tucked away, my cars mainly live in a little space above stairs in little bedroom, i am at just about max capacity hence if i want another model i have to sell stuff to make room, i dont like doing it but thats how it is 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Looking good so far. Finally something out there from Tamiya that can take decent BL system without blowing the gearbox (fingers crossed) :lol: 

I think Id have liked to see the Slipper (£55) and Gear Diff (£30) included for that. There is a lot to it mind, I did feel yesterday that £320 felt a lot for a 2WD kit, but it is substantial. My Egress black is 4WD, full of carbon fibre and alloy and was cheaper when bought on sale....

• Like 2

Got the front hubs/axles on. The body clip is temporary to hold the axles in, theyll be hexes eventually. One thing that caught me out. The battery tray hinge has some "top hat" inserts that you put in the cage. These are bigger than the ones required for the front hubs. I got them mixed up and had to go back and swap them. 

Rr4dQ36.jpeg

9JVx8Eb.jpeg

Looks almost 8th scale thickness. Its getting heavy mind!

I then built and fitted the front shocks. They seem quite nice so Ill save my money and not upgraded to Big Bores.  At least for now haha

FyF9uCo.jpeg

BDGR8vT.jpeg

• Like 3

Ordered the Slipper Clutch and Gear diff. At a cost of £82.93. Quite expensive, but couldnt be bothered importing. Beer may have been involved with this decision. However. I need help from you guys here. Please make, by force if necessary, me actually use this buggy!

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The entire build is hex head. Mainly 2mm, the odd 1.5mm. Then suddenly I was getting frustrated as I couldnt grip a certain screw (on the back of the cage). A closer look revealed that screw was a phillips/JIS head 😂

They can't help themselves   🤣

For me it's the shocks, why aren't they threaded in 2023!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/09/2023 at 22:50, Kpowell911 said:

Now I enjoy doing bodies, Im just not very good at it..... so I decided to start with that first. Was quite complicated to cut out, but nothing too crazy. Ive gone boring box art..... I was tempted to go with a more vibrant Blue, but I stuck with PS4 Blue and PS1 White for the roof as per box. Hasnt came out too bad.....

aLEIVxG.jpeg

Looks cracking! I'd say you've done a fair amount better than you're giving yourself credit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I intended TRF Aeration Dampers (54028) but PJ now charge VAT and im Tight =/

I heard something about that, it's still gonna be cheaper than the UK however another 20% is wasn't what was needed. 

RcJaz doesn't add vat? 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex97 said:

I heard something about that, it's still gonna be cheaper than the UK however another 20% is wasn't what was needed. 

RcJaz doesn't add vat? 

Ill see. Ive bought the slipper and gear diff now, and to be honest its not a very blingy build. The TRF's may look out of place

• Like 1