• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wolfie1 X-MAXX

wolfie1

On 13/01/2024 at 23:38, wolfie1 said:

Got 3 full sets of packs through the xmaxx today and so far so good with the 1650kv 4985 hobbywing motor and max6v3 esc, i am running a 50t spur and a 20t pinion on 8s and the highest temp i seen doing back to back speed runs (for pretty much a whole set of packs) was 49 degrees c. I really think it may be possible to run a bigger pinion but i am happy with it the way it is

I had temp issues until i replaced stock motor fans/cooler. Im just curious whats the weather temp now? In January? You might get temp probs when the temperature goes up in summer.  

P.S. could you link anti roll links and mud flaps - would be an upgrade to my truck 🙂 do you bash or only go for speed runs?

I bash and speed runs, but i like going fast, the temp doesnt really get up that much in summer here tbh  😂 its Scotland.

not sure what you mean about the mud flaps and anti roll bars, i am running the pos mud flaps with the arb’s without an issue if thats what you mean?

On 21/10/2023 at 16:25, wolfie1 said:

The postie arrived today with the haul of goodies, some i have installed, others will be done at a later date when other stuff arrives

installed the spur holding plate and installed a new 50t spur gear and 18t pinion

Then installed front and rear anti roll bars, i may change to the thicker ones in the kit but have stuck the mediums on for the moment

FnY6Gnq.jpg
Also replaced the cush drive as mine was destroyed, may get a delete eventually but will keep with it for a while and see how they last,looking forward to the better weather tomorrow to get it out and test it all out

Do you still recommend the M2C Racing X Series Wide Kit and sway bar kit? Seems to not have the disadvantages of the widemaxx kit.

And is the sway bar safe, does it ever get damaged/bent? and any install tips?

I think the above and some louise uphills will sort handling as im mostly on grass.

I

22 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

I bash and speed runs, but i like going fast, the temp doesnt really get up that much in summer here tbh  😂 its Scotland.

not sure what you mean about the mud flaps and anti roll bars, i am running the pos mud flaps with the arb’s without an issue if thats what you mean?

Yea i mean sway bars - how do they take the bashing? they seem flimsy? Do you actually feel the difference with/with out them?

7 hours ago, xxCarlxx said:

Do you still recommend the M2C Racing X Series Wide Kit and sway bar kit? Seems to not have the disadvantages of the widemaxx kit.

And is the sway bar safe, does it ever get damaged/bent? and any install tips?

I think the above and some louise uphills will sort handling as im mostly on grass.

I

Well i decided that kit was too expensive for what it was and found hub extenders from aliexpress and they are great, combination of the hub extenders and the anti roll bar kit has transformed it, i really think this is how it should have come from the factory.

to install the anti roll  bars (i went with the medium ones), first attach them to the vehicle in the central location behind the bumper and then see where you need to drill holes in the lower  arms to attach the drop links

These are the 24mm wider axle extenders im using https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185169366689?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dJGZG_yrS82&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=692925604531&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The anti roll bars i bought are similar to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142826095010?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BZV_nEmwSMe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

Yea i mean sway bars - how do they take the bashing? they seem flimsy? Do you actually feel the difference with/with out them?

I def think there is a considerable difference with them, 1 thing i would add is on the drop links there is a metal collar which holds the ball in, have these on the inside so if the collar pops off you dont lose it.

so far i havent damaged them, had a collar pop off once a while ago, i squished it back in and its not come off again

• Like 1

Today i was having some diff issues so decided to strip down the rear end and shim the rear diff properly, when i took the centre diff out the super gloopy diff oil was more outside the diff than in it, so rebuilt that again. When i shimmed the diff before i just stuck in a .3 shim today i also added a .1 as a singular .5 was too much, if the rear diff goes again i am going to have to look into something more substantial as i rebuilt the rear 1 not long ago

IYrgIJ5.jpg

XSeV6wq.jpg

fT8loZU.jpg

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

Well i decided that kit was too expensive for what it was and found hub extenders from aliexpress and they are great, combination of the hub extenders and the anti roll bar kit has transformed it, i really think this is how it should have come from the factory.

to install the anti roll  bars (i went with the medium ones), first attach them to the vehicle in the central location behind the bumper and then see where you need to drill holes in the lower  arms to attach the drop links

These are the 24mm wider axle extenders im using https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185169366689?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dJGZG_yrS82&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=692925604531&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The anti roll bars i bought are similar to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142826095010?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BZV_nEmwSMe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thank you, sorted it

image.thumb.png.e3258494a1e66d072e59b1c6239d7bb1.png

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

Today i was having some diff issues so decided to strip down the rear end and shim the rear diff properly, when i took the centre diff out the super gloopy diff oil was mote outside the diff than in it, so rebuilt that again. When i shimmed the diff before i just stuck in a .3 shim today i also added a .1 as a singular .5 was too much, if the rear diff goes again i am going to have to look into something more substantial as i rebuilt the tear 1 not long ago

IYrgIJ5.jpg

XSeV6wq.jpg

fT8loZU.jpg

This is beyond me atm, but no doubt ill be tinkering with this eventually. 

45 minutes ago, xxCarlxx said:

This is beyond me atm, but no doubt ill be tinkering with this eventually. 

You will easy do it, if you get stuck with something just look on the xmaxx exploded diagrams of what goes where

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So with all the issues im having with rear diffs thought i would get some GPM mod 1.6 hardened steel ones, i thought these would be good as there is a snap ring behind the bearing so it cannot pull out and hit the diff casing, the downside to this is you cannot shim it, they are not good rear 1 didnt last a a set of packs before it was slipping again, so back to the drawing board again 

Kr8Cr14.jpg
0FHY4I3.jpg
tSa0TC8.jpg

so in hindsight these are of no use and i would not recommend anyone to buy them

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was a good day, went to a quarry i have never been to before with the xmaxx, it was pretty good but i dont think it can be a regular place, i have rebuilt the centre diff with all new parts and put in a mix of 50k diff fluid to mostly lubricate the rubber seals and the stock 20 million, i do have some machined internal gears coming for the centre diff and another type of machined pinion and ring for the rear diff, when they arrive i am going to also replace the rear bulkhead if i have any issues with the stock 1 thats in there at the moment as its all shimmed properly, its weird as i had no diff issues and then all of a sudden constant issues with the rear, that being said since i refitted the standard rear and shimmed it i have had it out quite a few times without a problem with it…………… 

This pic was taken after i had driven on some wet grass to clean it up a bit to make less mess in the car!

BR7Htop.jpg

Edited by wolfie1
  • Haha 1

Got a few parts arrive today, there was good deals to be had on aliexpress, the reason there is so many wheel nuts is there was a 75% off deal on them and i had to spend over £8 for free shipping, so i was 50 odd pence over for 20 wheel nuts, thought i would give the alloy diff housing cover things a go as the ultimate has them so why not and i am thinking its maybe the plastic ones flexing thats killing diffs. I also have tried a different type of hardened diff gears but just went with a rear 1 to begin with and see how that works out and then maybe get a front afterwards as i was a bit annoyed with the cost of spiral cut gpm ones and long they lasted

Zztm5sn.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, karlo888 said:

Just found this and looking excellent.

love the video in the sand😀

would love one but your modding skills, driving, jumping and experience are way above mine with all these upgrades etc.

No dont think that at all, we all muddle through and get there in the end, i have been doing this since i was around 10 years old starting out with scratch building rc boats and beleive me i was a disaster zone back then!

It’s just that you are constantly working and upgrading, makes me tried just reading all this..lol

Whereas I am going to ask one of my daughters to plug my batteries on the savage due to the spark..😜😜😜

Edited by karlo888
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

No dont think that at all, we all muddle through and get there in the end, i have been doing this since i was around 10 years old starting out with scratch building rc boats and beleive me i was a disaster zone back then!

Did my sway bar yesterday! Surprisingly straight forward. 

20240221_172504.jpg

20240221_172511.jpg

20240221_172530.jpg

20240221_173519.jpg

20240221_173531.jpg

• Like 2

Got around to do doing some stuff, fitted the different type of hardened diff and pinion and fitted the alloy diff cases, went together nice and will need to test this weekend.

the wheel nuts are a fail, even though they were listed for an xmaxx they arent, the thread is too fine to screw on so they are going to go back for a refund

jnHmUaU.jpg
Je60uzA.jpg

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Is that a crack in the plastic U shaped part above the dif ?

The X Maxx is modular, so most things are in two parts. They fit together like lego and then screw together, making them strong and light. So not a crack. You can see it better here

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-x-maxx-front-shock-tower-left-and-right-halves-396020

• Like 2

Looking at my pics again it looks well dirty, and that was after me cleaning it after having it in the quarry and giving it a dry with the compressor! I should really give it a proper clean

• Like 1