• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Opinions on MT

mattbroomer2000

I am trying to decide on my next nitro RC car. Currently thinking HPI Savage X 4.6, Traxxas Revo 3.3, or HoBao Hyper MT Sport Plus Nitro. Is there any others I should consider? Opinions on which one would be a good buy and why? I am in the UK and would need easy access to spares. Recently got into the hobby, hence hoping to hear about advantages / disadvantages from those more experienced.

New or used? I'm biased as only had Savages. They all will have pros/cons. Just check online for spares availability as this can change over time nut usually Traxxas has best ongoing support even in UK, but Hobao are also good, HPI has been sporadic in last few years.

15 minutes ago, locky said:

New or used? I'm biased as only had Savages. They all will have pros/cons. Just check online for spares availability as this can change over time nut usually Traxxas has best ongoing support even in UK, but Hobao are also good, HPI has been sporadic in last few years.

Which versions of the savage have you owned?

All of them apart from the latest reincarnation. Usual things to change are the stock servos and throttle/brake linkage set up. You used to be able to put a standard big block engine instead of the TRX3.3 by using a different engine mount. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-big-block-conversion-kit-revo-20896

Whether the chassis and drive train can cope with a larger engine is another question.

I only buy used now but that usually requires waiting til the right one comes up that has been looked after and had some improvements, but not the usual addition of aluminium parts.

For the Revo, definitely get RPM True-Track for the rear arms, this gets rid of the tie-rods.

Same with the Savvy, fit Integy Deletes to get rid of the tie-rods.

Huge weaknesses on both. 

The Savvy has better diffs available as they're bigger and hardened steel gears are available. 

Both are not the kind of truck you want to wrench in the field. Once they're sorted with the upgrades they need, they're both good options. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Different body and wheels/tyres, better 17mm wheel hex, thicker dog bones, captures hinge pins and hex screws on the newer model. Just take a look at the descriptions on MS site. Nothing really wrong with old version apart from the old 17mm wheel hex/nut.

• Like 1