• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

online RC raffles?

Lone-wolf

We tend to see these RC raffles mainly on facebook groups, but are they strictly legal for the person staging it to do?

I dont partake in them as i dont agree with some one standing to make a lot of money from it, for example one popped up last night for an FTX superforza....if all tickets are sold the person stands to make £794 for model that is £499

I do see the appeal for people on low income to buy a couple of tickets and hope to win, i just dont agree with this in principle 

• Like 1

Some are and some aren't. As a raffle is considered a form of gambling there would be countless gambling guidelines that should be followed that I'm sure many of these smaller ones don't. 

If no profit is made then I don't see too much of an issue however when a large amount of profit it made that's out of order. 

• Like 2

I'm sure you know the morning TV programs that do those win a holiday if you txt a simple A, B or C question (or send a postcard). Competition websites that use this format are no different and is all above board. HobbyComps for example who have sponsored various things (TomleyRC, ROSSA, and even the forum) has been going for a couple of years now and has done really well.

It's a business at the end of the day so profit is usually expected.

I'd probs not trust the ones ran out of Facebook groups though.

• Like 3

Funny this topic has come up today, I’ve entered my first rc raffle comp today (and my last). Doesn’t tell you how many tickets are available till you’ve purchased a ticket. After I’ve purchased I’ve found out it’s unlimited entry and I’ve calculated the individual has made about £30k from the one raffle I’ve entered. Not a bad little earner for them.

Wait till you see  how much the Youtubers are making off the Rafall stuff that gets thrown down our throats now…… its well j tk the thousands judging by the tickets sold. I chuck a fiver on here and there, cant really begrudge them as they’re only doing a Youtube Channel as a job. I was suprised at how lucrative they are. Always seems to be a winner outside the UK too on the ones Ive entered haha. 

Also bare in mind its not ‘all’ profit, Im sure the organisers take a cut and there’s advertising etc

Edited by Kpowell911

What really gets my goat is the nameless facebook group where the guy tags all the members in his profiteering venture, and on that group i am sure the prize goes to his mates each time, any way im lucky i dont need to enter them if i want it i buy it, i did enter a Rafall once and was shocked at the amount of personnel info they wanted so wont do that again  

• 8 months later...

Randomcompetitions.co.uk I got lucky with £5 ticket Tim such a nice guy also 

IMG_0579.png

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

• Like 3