• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCA-1E vs TRX4 Sport kits

Wanting to do a kit build for my first crawler and the shortlist is down to these two.  

I’ll be adding a bearing kit and steering link upgrade to the cost of the Carisma and the TRX kit can be had for £310ish on discount so the gap between them is about £100ish. 

I know the TRX is the technically better car, but is it £100 better?

I will mainly be using it for crawling rather than trailing.   

Element and Axial kits have been considered, but once you add body and wheels they are no cheaper than the TRX. 

• Like 1

I havnt any experience of the Carisma but i do have a TRX4 rtr and the TRX6 rtr

In my opinion the trx4 is worth the extra also it is very well supported with aftermarket upgrades like brass and scale bits pieces 

As for the kit version im not sure if it comes with 2 speed gearbox or the remote locking/unlocking difs but if it doesnt they can be added if required

If being used for crawling youl probably brass  up whatever 1 you get ( i got my brass etc from AliExpress and Amazon ) so have a look see whats available for both of them  HTH

• Thanks 1

I would have to say the TRX4 is probably the better one of the 2 but the coyote has a lot of charm along with lower price tag and if built right its still a capable rig with some upgrades like heavy alloy beadlocks, seems like you have done a little homework already so top marks to you, one tiny bit of advice i can give you is this, if you build the coyote kit use a bit of grease on each and every screw, i built the kit and did not know this and really struggled with the build till i was told this, it makes a huge difference, this is my one 

lowered.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, deprivedoflsleep said:

Thanks both, I must admit the Carisma’s plucky underdog status is part of its appeal.

The Carisma is a simple no non sense rig it has won scale nationals and other stuff in past, the kit version is way better, i would not buy another carisma RTR but kit is fine, if your budget allows go for Hobbywing 1080 esc they are just superb, fit a half decent MG servo about 15-20kg

Edited by Lone-wolf
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

The Carisma is a simple no non sense rig it has won scale nationals and other stuff in past, the kit version is way better, i would not buy another carisma RTR but kit is fine, if your budget allows go for Hobbywing 1080 esc they are just superb, fit a half decent MG servo about 15-20kg

I’m considering the Fusion SE since they are not far off the cost of a 1080+motor anyway. 

Although I guess that creates a single point of failure and makes it harder to change motor options later. 

• Like 2

If you have the budget for the TRX4, then it's clearly the better choice. If you only have the budget for the Carisma, then keep saving and buy a TRX4.

Really top quality rc with a huge support in the aftermarket.

I'd also suggest a good brushless system such as the Hobbywing AXE or Fusion, as the TRX4 drivetrain is very robust and wheelspeed is good.

I second what @Stormbringer says I have one in my TRX4 don’t think I will look at a brushed system again says it’s for 1/10 scale but I’m curious if it will work in my traction hobby cragsman c that’s 1/8 scale 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Which is same as trx4 etc  so it should work in theory 

I thought the TRX4 used 540 as HW quicrun fusion pro is a 540 I’m not 100% clued up in the motor size stuff but not much in a 540/550 motor the 550 are slightly longer aren’t they?

Yeh the fusion is a 540 size motor but the TRX4 motor is a 550 its just a longer 540 giving more torque than the 540

it will be more the esc rating on the cragsman tho 

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Yeh the fusion is a 540 size motor but the TRX4 motor is a 550 its just a longer 540 giving more torque than the 540

Looks like I’ll be getting another one for the cragsman c then 🤣 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

i edited above post mate

So maybe not then  I’m not sure what ESC comes with the cragsman I’ll have to check 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

yeh worth checking mate :good:

The ESC in the cragsman c is a WP 0880 dual a copy of this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-0880-dual-motor-brushed-esc-80a-waterproof-440053  but with only 2 motor wires instead of 4 it’s the same ESC that is in my new clodbuster 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Yeh but its 80A tho the Fusion is 60A

I’m not going to bother changing it unless it packs up will stick the program box on a see what I can change 😁

• Haha 1

I have the carisma coyote kit and love it and for what it is it's very good value for money as you've said make sure you build it with bearings and also add some different tyres. I have a 1080 esc in mine and works like a charm.

I don't have a trx4 kit but I have a RTR sport and the quality of build/plastics etc surpasses the coyote.

Have you seen the carisma owners thread? Some good builds on there....

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/248491-carisma-scale-adventure-sca-1e-owners-thread/

• Like 1