• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma Scale Adventure SCA-1E Owners Thread

stretch

I see quite a few people on here have the coyote/range rover etc so thought it was about time we had an owners thread. Had my V1 coyote kit a while now and slow setting it back up after it's been sat on a shelf due to other things going on.  Here it is in it's current form to get the ball rolling.

5032.jpg

Edited by stretch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stretch said:

@stupar always liked following your builds have you got anymore in the pipeline?

Cheers bud.

I'm taking a sabbatical from RCs to re focus on my photography but I wouldn't say no to a Carisma van build at some point in the future.

Edited by stupar
  • Like 1

No pics of mine yet as I have yet to break the seal on the kit I won on Sunday. I have started making a mental list of stuff I need (got a servo and motor already).  Am looking forward to building it as it'll be my first brand new scale truck. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else fitted the ATT conversion to theirs yet? Any tips/problems to look out for? Does it work? Is it worth it?
Am also swapping the centre diff for this weighted metal one… it’s supposed to smooth  power delivery and lower the CoG… big claims for a small lump of metal.

While I’m at it, I’ll replace all the bearings, and before I rebuild it it, will change the shock oil too.

I’ve been putting this off, because if it’s on the bench, I can’t take it out and use it, and I keep wanting to take it out so…..

1176061D-E2DA-4B51-9EEA-6596674755E9.jpeg

B412DAB9-0558-44D4-9119-89A485AF4DEB.jpeg

• Like 1

On 03/10/2021 at 00:03, Fat Freddy said:

Has anyone else fitted the ATT conversion to theirs yet? Any tips/problems to look out for? Does it work? Is it worth it?
Am also swapping the centre diff for this weighted metal one… it’s supposed to smooth  power delivery and lower the CoG… big claims for a small lump of metal.

While I’m at it, I’ll replace all the bearings, and before I rebuild it it, will change the shock oil too.

I’ve been putting this off, because if it’s on the bench, I can’t take it out and use it, and I keep wanting to take it out so…..

1176061D-E2DA-4B51-9EEA-6596674755E9.jpeg

B412DAB9-0558-44D4-9119-89A485AF4DEB.jpeg

What does the ATT do? 

Have you found that the centre diff helps? I struggle to see how it would be useful.

6 hours ago, chewbacca said:

What does the ATT do? 

Have you found that the centre diff helps? I struggle to see how it would be useful.

The ATT comes as standard on the new 2.1 but Carisma do a kit so you can retrofit it to your older SCA-1E’s. (£24ish)

I still haven’t finished fitting it all yet. It’s been a bit of a conundrum tbh. 
The ATT is supposed to stand for anti torque twist… I think.  
They’ve added an extra gear in the gearbox so that the driveshafts run in opposite directions and in theory, cancel each other out, reducing torque twist. Supposedly stops that annoying tilt to the left when you pull away, but apparently also helps you hold a straighter line when your wheels are short on grip. …. 🤔
I’m a bit sceptical about how much difference this will really make, but am curious too. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Re the metal centre diff, I’ll let Modelsport do the talking…..

“Directly replaces the main central transmission gear. Adds durability to the driveline, and with its considerable weight helps lower the rigs C of G.

The additional weight and rotating mass, when combined with a high wind motor, offers a smoother driving experience at any RPM.”

Ambitious claims for a £10 piece of metal. We’ll see.

I read somewhere that to make the ATT work, Carisma had “flipped the rear axle”. It took me a while to work out what they “flipped” is the diff box inside the axle…. Or I hope that’s what they meant, because that’s what I’ve done.

But the conversion kit doesn’t mention this at all, so (IF I’m right and) if you just followed the instructions your wheels would rotate in different directions…. I think.

(Correction! The instructions DO mention flipping the diff… it’s pretty much the first bloody thing it mentions! God I’m numb sometimes, apologies to Carisma)

Another problem, (entirely my fault this for not reading the instructions…at all) is that to make it fit you need another short driveshaft. I’ve ordered one now, but that’s more expensive than the ATT parts!

Carisma have also switched the orientation of the motor and gearbox in the 2.1. Apparently it spreads the weight better (??) so I thought I’d copy that too.

I’ll let you know my verdict when I eventually get it all back together. 👍

Edited by Fat Freddy
Wrong information
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

The ATT comes as standard on the new 2.1 but Carisma do a kit so you can retrofit it to your older SCA-1E’s. (£24ish)

I still haven’t finished fitting it all yet. It’s been a bit of a conundrum tbh. 
They’ve added an extra gear in the gearbox so that the driveshafts run in opposite directions and in theory, cancel each other out, reducing torque twist. Supposedly stops that annoying tilt to the left when you pull away, but apparently also helps you hold a straighter line when your wheels are short on grip. …. 🤔
I’m a bit sceptical about how much difference this will really make, but am curious too. Fingers crossed 🤞 

For what it's worth; the Gmade GS02 & GS02F trucks come with ATT as standard and my Komodo never leans over, when on-throttle. It also climbs dead straight; more so than the other crawlers I've used. So, I'd say it works. :good:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

“Directly replaces the main central transmission gear. Adds durability to the driveline, and with its considerable weight helps lower the rigs C of G.

The additional weight and rotating mass, when combined with a high wind motor, offers a smoother driving experience at any RPM.”

I read somewhere that to make the ATT work, Carisma had “flipped the rear axle”. It took me a while to work out what they “flipped” is the diff box inside the axle…. Or I hope that’s what they meant, because that’s what I’ve done.

But the conversion kit doesn’t mention this at all, so (IF I’m right and) if you just followed the instructions your wheels would rotate in different directions…. I think.

(Correction! The instructions DO mention flipping the diff… it’s pretty much the first bloody thing it mentions! God I’m numb sometimes, apologies to Carisma)

Another problem, (entirely my fault this for not reading the instructions…at all) is that to make it fit you need another short driveshaft. I’ve ordered one now, but that’s more expensive than the ATT parts!

Carisma have also switched the orientation of the motor and gearbox in the 2.1. Apparently it spreads the weight better (??) so I thought I’d copy that too.

I retro fitted the ATT transmission when I built my farm truck and it was fairly straight forward to do.

Flipping the diff is obviously self explanatory but the shorter drive shaft has caught a few folk out and Carisma updated their website and Facebook page to make it more transparent.

I never had any wheel cooking under acceleration after the installation so I would say it fulfills it's remit of reducing torque twist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PraetoR said:

For what it's worth; the Gmade GS02 & GS02F trucks come with ATT as standard and my Komodo never leans over, when on-throttle. It also climbs dead straight; more so than the other crawlers I've used. So, I'd say it works. :good:

Thanks, that’s reassuring. Fingers crossed the Carisma version is up to the job 🤞

58 minutes ago, stupar said:

I retro fitted the ATT transmission when I built my farm truck and it was fairly straight forward to do.

Flipping the diff is obviously self explanatory but the shorter drive shaft has caught a few folk out and Carisma updated their website and Facebook page to make it more transparent.

I never had any wheel cooking under acceleration after the installation so I would say it fulfills it's remit of reducing torque twist.

More reassurance, thanks.

You say “self explanatory “ but it took me a bit of pondering to work it out…. If only I’d actually read the instructions first…. durrr.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

Thanks for the ATT explanation, will definitely get one for my og kit. 

I was asking about the centre diff you're replacing, not the one you're putting in. I've seen a centre diff is available for the SCA-1E but I can't see how it would be useful, surely a locker or overdrive would be of more use. 

18 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Thanks for the ATT explanation, will definitely get one for my og kit. 

I was asking about the centre diff you're replacing, not the one you're putting in. I've seen a centre diff is available for the SCA-1E but I can't see how it would be useful, surely a locker or overdrive would be of more use. 

It’s a locked diff box.  All 3 diffs on the coyote are locked as standard. Not sure if there is even the option to unlock them.
The standard one is plastic. The “upgrade” is metal and heavier.

Thats the only “diff”erence 😂

Supposedly it’s better?? (As detailed above in the sales guff).
It was only a tenner and I thought wtf, might as well get one.

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1