• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommended camera for filming RC cars

Mr_Joe

Hi I tried search but couldn't find a suitable answer.

I'm looking for a camera for filming my RC cars when I'm out bashing. What do people use or recommend for filming their cars? Looking for options under £200 either mounted to my head or the radio as I'm pants at driving with one hand.

Go pro, which version? Any other suggestions?

Screenshot_20230330_113714_Facebook.jpg

The most obvious one, as you said, is going to be a GoPro. I'd personally go with a used 8 Hero Black though, not a 7 - stabilisation is much improved on the 8. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

yep go pros tough as old boots mines been dropped smashed into so many times and still works a treat lol 😁

Where do you mount the go pro on your head?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Joe said:

yes, i have always used my copy gopro mounted on my head. i found that easier than on my handset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Joe said:

ive had mine mounted on my cars and drones for years brother fell from 400ft smashed it into the ground on car there amazing brother waterproof and bomb proof i use an old go pro hero 3+ had it for years still going strong etc 👍

2 hours ago, Mr_Joe said:

Forehead, lol.

I assume that's not exactly what you meant, but in general, with a GoPro you get an elastic strap to strap it to your forehead. Looks a bit daft, but works well.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Forehead, lol.

I assume that's not exactly what you meant, but in general, with a GoPro you get an elastic strap to strap it to your forehead. Looks a bit daft, but works well.

i did feel bit silly when i was walking around like that but i got used to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i did feel bit silly when i was walking around like that but i got used to it.

Yeah, same here. In the end, where i bash, nobody knows me - so why'd i care if they think i look a bit dorky. 

Lone-wolfs setup certainly is better for crawling than strapping it to your noggin, i usually just put my GoPro down and drive past it when crawling at the beach - while i do have thumb steering on my radio, i don't like faffing about with a selfie stick. I prefer both hands on the radio. For bashing, i prefer head mount - it felt unnatural to constantly "point" my radio at the RC. 

Obviously, this is all subjective, you just gotta figure out which suits you best. You could chest mount it (GoPro accessory), you could shoulder mount it if you go out with a backpack - you could clip it to the shield of a cappie (although that's uncomfy, GoPros aren't the lightest action cam).. Loads of options, all depending on what's comfy/natural to you and what camera angles you want. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Forehead, lol.

Hahaha yes sorry I meant forehead 😆

5 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

Here is what i use, Akaso V50X camera with really good EIS on a sprung clip mount works for me, if i want low down trail footage i re jig it with a selfie stick to drop the camera low down

camera 2.JPG

I actually went for the Akaso Brave 7, reviews on YouTube seem pretty good, and its way cheaper than a go pro

Screenshot_20230330_213122_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.471c3ed8fcc32cdc855f38413ea8cb5c.jpg

Edited by Mr_Joe

Looks tidy, fingers crossed it works. 

Sadly i look even dumber with a cap than with the garter belt around my head, so i'll stick with that lol.

• Haha 1