• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First RC. Tracer? Do I NEED lipo?

Jim_D

Hello all...

I'm new to the forum and found it whilst looking for info on a first rc car for my  10yo son.

It looks like I'll be buying a Tracer. What I'm unsure about is how interested he really is or whether the car will sit there for a while between uses. That said, I'm worried going for the brushless/lipo version will be a bad idea. At least with the brushed/lion version it can sit there fully charged for when he decides he wants a run with it, and with an additional 1500mah battery he should have a decent run time with it? I'm guessing about 30mins? I might be way off!

I was looking at the HBX Pro as well but we've left it a bit late for a birthday delivery from China now I think. That would still leave me with the battery life/use issue.  Though I know everclear does a battery tray modification which looks great (and he has kindly offered to contact him on this.).

I guess I'm after help deciding what to buy! Anyone else have similar queries on buying their first car?

Many thanks!

Welcome, lipo isn't a must however will give a good performance boost. Drive time will depend on how it's driven however I'd say you'd be looking closer to 20 minutes rather than 30. For a first RC the I'd stick with brushed as no doubt if he likes it he'll be wanting something a little bigger in the not too distant future. Although it comes with a USB charger these aren't great at all, very slow and unfortunately I've heard a few horror stories with them. Have a look at either...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-s65-ac-charger-65w-438918

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-e680-ac-dc-80w-charger-440716

Both will charge lipos as well so going forward you'll be covered.

Do you have an overall budget you want to stay below? 

Thanks Alex.

Not really sure on the budget, maybe £150 all in with charger and spare battery(ies).

Is the modified battery tray a good idea with li-ion you think? Additional weight a bit too high up? What would I need to fit battery wise to get an hour out of it?

1 hour ago, Jim_D said:

Thanks Alex.

Not really sure on the budget, maybe £150 all in with charger and spare battery(ies).

Is the modified battery tray a good idea with li-ion you think? Additional weight a bit too high up? What would I need to fit battery wise to get an hour out of it?

Tbh I've got no idea about the modified battery so can't comment. 

Unfortunately 60 minutes of run time would require a very large battery and personally I'd rather have 2/3 smaller batteries so if one was to fail I've got a back up. 

@totlxtc suggestion of the commit might be good, it's slightly bigger however is only 2wd however as this is his first RC it shouldn't be a problem. eBay are currently running 20% off from some sellers so you could pick one up for £55. I've added a screen shot of what you'd need battery/ charger wise to get you going, I'd also look to see if that seller Has anything else that might tickle your fancy. 

Screenshot_20230327_163709_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230327_163642_eBay.thumb.jpg.e1cac64a22e759de4717e2733afc58f4.jpg

Edited by Alex97

It's not a bad idea to change out battery after 20 minute burst. My son loves his carnage but would go on until it failed. A wee break and battery change let's everything cool off a bit and go again. Also concentration levels wise 3 x 20 minute burst's much more fun for us anyhow. Just a thought 💭