• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Absima CR3.4

I’ve been looking for a crawler for a couple of weeks now and do really like the look of the Absima CR3.4 but am quite confused as to why the sherpa is £110 more than the KHAMBA ?only difference I can see is the different body’s one has 2.2 wheels instead of 1.9 the shocks are different and one has metal prop shafts and the other has plastic is that really worth the extra £110 ? but compared to the TRX 4 at £570 still a lot cheaper the reviews are good to from what I’ve read anyone run one of these ?

It's up to you if you can live with that ugly Khamba body, really. I don't think the shocks are different, descriptions are misleading. The Sherpa doesn't have internally sprung shocks anymore, they're "normal" shocks now since like june last year. Though, the newer ones are certainly better (i have access to both). 

So far, it hasn't let me/my wife down, though i don't run the stock electrics, threw a 13t Crawlmaster Pro in there with a 1080. The lights are fun for a little bit, disconnected the indicators after the first run because they go into "hazard" mode if you turn the steering wheel left (or right, can't remember) three times, got a little annoying. In terms of capability.. I can't speak for the Khamba, never seen one, but the Sherpa is probably comparable to the TRX4 Defender. Have the same issue with both: stupendously top heavy. Threw brass portal covers etc at it to sort that out a little bit, but still.. Not great. 

For pure crawling capability, you don't really want either TRX4 nor Sherpa. I've sold my TRX4 and bought a Sport kit, the two speed, while fun, really is hindering nice and smooth crawling (due to the nature, you have a lot of play in the drive train - if you go over a crest, a TRX4 "rolls" for an inch and a half until the gearbox engages again). Throw the diff-lock upgrade in there (cheap), and you got one of the best crawling rigs that you can buy at the moment, at least for reasonable money. 

edit: i will say, the stock tyres are pretty awful on the Sherpa. Had to replace them basically immediately with TRX Canyons. 

3bCJLVs.png

edit2: indeed if you look at the shocks by zooming in on them, you can see that the front Sherpa (my neighbour) has the newer shocks, whereas my wifes still has the internally sprung ones. 

7IMWqmF.png

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

It's up to you if you can live with that ugly Khamba body, really. I don't think the shocks are different, descriptions are misleading. The Sherpa doesn't have internally sprung shocks anymore, they're "normal" shocks now since like june last year. Though, the newer ones are certainly better (i have access to both). 

So far, it hasn't let me/my wife down, though i don't run the stock electrics, threw a 13t Crawlmaster Pro in there with a 1080. The lights are fun for a little bit, disconnected the indicators after the first run because they go into "hazard" mode if you turn the steering wheel left (or right, can't remember) three times, got a little annoying. In terms of capability.. I can't speak for the Khamba, never seen one, but the Sherpa is probably comparable to the TRX4 Defender. Have the same issue with both: stupendously top heavy. Threw brass portal covers etc at it to sort that out a little bit, but still.. Not great. 

For pure crawling capability, you don't really want either TRX4 nor Sherpa. I've sold my TRX4 and bought a Sport kit, the two speed, while fun, really is hindering nice and smooth crawling (due to the nature, you have a lot of play in the drive train - if you go over a crest, a TRX4 "rolls" for an inch and a half until the gearbox engages again). Throw the diff-lock upgrade in there (cheap), and you got one of the best crawling rigs that you can buy at the moment, at least for reasonable money. 

edit: i will say, the stock tyres are pretty awful on the Sherpa. Had to replace them basically immediately with TRX Canyons. 

3bCJLVs.png

edit2: indeed if you look at the shocks by zooming in on them, you can see that the front Sherpa (my neighbour) has the newer shocks, whereas my wifes still has the internally sprung ones. 

7IMWqmF.png

I went with a TRX 4 sport in the end 👍looking forward to the build not sure if I’ll use the sport body yet many many options available and have the option to get the locking diff and the 2 speed which I probably won’t bother with but nice to have the option 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

I went with a TRX 4 sport in the end 👍looking forward to the build not sure if I’ll use the sport body yet many many options available and have the option to get the locking diff and the 2 speed which I probably won’t bother with but nice to have the option 😁

Imho still #1 mainstream crawler, love mine. I don't use the Sport body (don't particularly like it) - in the picture earlier in the back is mine, proline body. 

Don't bother with the 2speed, it's really not worth it (it crawls worse afterwards) - but absolutely do go for the locking diff upgrade. It's easy to do and does make a big difference. You'll enjoy it, it's a fun kit to build as well. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Imho still #1 mainstream crawler, love mine. I don't use the Sport body (don't particularly like it) - in the picture earlier in the back is mine, proline body. 

Don't bother with the 2speed, it's really not worth it (it crawls worse afterwards) - but absolutely do go for the locking diff upgrade. It's easy to do and does make a big difference. You'll enjoy it, it's a fun kit to build as well. 

I’m looking at getting the killerbody marauder ii body for mine just waiting for stock to arrive but I’ll definitely be getting the locking diffs soon I’ll leave the 2 speed for the reasons you mentioned I’m hoping to get stuck in to my 1/5 project this weekend if the weather is ok 👍 what servo you running or recommend ? I’m also looking at getting a BL system or is it not really worth it over brushed 

34 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

I’m looking at getting the killerbody marauder ii body for mine just waiting for stock to arrive but I’ll definitely be getting the locking diffs soon I’ll leave the 2 speed for the reasons you mentioned I’m hoping to get stuck in to my 1/5 project this weekend if the weather is ok 👍 what servo you running or recommend ? I’m also looking at getting a BL system or is it not really worth it over brushed 

The Power HD that Stormbringer posted is good. I use one of the JX servos by aliexpress, 46kg coreless. Either is good in a crawler. 

Brushless does make a difference, especially the HW systems are almost cheaty (FOC system). How to explain, with a brushed system, you control throttle. If you go level ground 30% throttle, the car slows down uphill/at a rock, and you give more throttle. With a HW system, you don't control throttle, you control "speed". You give 30% throttle, and the car holds that speed regardless of uphill or downhill. Makes for much better crawling.

I'm not a particular fan of the Fusion though, it can have coil whine which i hate (like a high pitch screeching) - i much prefer the Axe R2, which is why i have that in mine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

The Power HD that Stormbringer posted is good. I use one of the JX servos by aliexpress, 46kg coreless. Either is good in a crawler. 

Brushless does make a difference, especially the HW systems are almost cheaty (FOC system). How to explain, with a brushed system, you control throttle. If you go level ground 30% throttle, the car slows down uphill/at a rock, and you give more throttle. With a HW system, you don't control throttle, you control "speed". You give 30% throttle, and the car holds that speed regardless of uphill or downhill. Makes for much better crawling.

I'm not a particular fan of the Fusion though, it can have coil whine which i hate (like a high pitch screeching) - i much prefer the Axe R2, which is why i have that in mine.

I'll have a look into the Axe R2 never been BL with a crawler so all new to me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

I'll have a look into the Axe R2 never been BL with a crawler so all new to me 

They're not necessary, crawls just fine with brushed systems, but they are better. And imho, the Axe beats the Fusion in anything that has the space to mount it (not always the case). The Fusion does make for tidier wiring (no ESC to wire to the motor), in terms of capabilities they're pretty even. I'm not sure about connectivity - the Axe R2 is bluetooth out of the box, so you can change parameters from your phone while running the truck (drag brake, most notably), as well as some live updates (power draw, rpm and the such like). 

Just quickly checked the blurb for the Fusion on modelsport, doesn't mention it, so not 100% certain there.

10 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

They're not necessary, crawls just fine with brushed systems, but they are better. And imho, the Axe beats the Fusion in anything that has the space to mount it (not always the case). The Fusion does make for tidier wiring (no ESC to wire to the motor), in terms of capabilities they're pretty even. I'm not sure about connectivity - the Axe R2 is bluetooth out of the box, so you can change parameters from your phone while running the truck (drag brake, most notably), as well as some live updates (power draw, rpm and the such like). 

Just quickly checked the blurb for the Fusion on modelsport, doesn't mention it, so not 100% certain there.

More than likely will go with a nice brushed setup I’m currently looking at wheels already got 3 set’s in the basket 🤣

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

More than likely will go with a nice brushed setup I’m currently looking at wheels already got 3 set’s in the basket 🤣

Stock wheels are perfectly good, some of the best in the game. Only real upgrade would be Proline Hyrax with dual stage foam. 😉