• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Basic lipo battery charger recommendations UK

bigbadbond

Hi all,

I'm new to lipo batteries, and need a basic and relatively cheap lipo battery charger (under £30 preferrably). I only really need it to charge one battery at a time, but I need one that I can select the amps on, as I don't want to be charging a 4000mah battery all day. There are so many to choose from I am thoroughly confused.

Any recommondations please?

Thank you

Reputable and from an excellent shop (youll need a charge lead for your battery too unless its XT60)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-s65-ac-charger-65w-438918

You used to be able to get an ok one off amazon slightly cheaper, but I cant find them now.

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

Only recently started using lipo batteries myself - but this is the one I use.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-e680-ac-dc-80w-charger-440716

I can't fault it - charge, balance charge, discharge & storage mode.

All very easy to use, i bought mine on ebay - but the pricing is about the same wherever you shop. 

May also need a charge lead to suit the battery fitting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Reputable and from an excellent shop (youll need a charge lead for your battery too unless its XT60)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-s65-ac-charger-65w-438918

You used to be able to get an ok one off amazon slightly cheaper, but I cant find them now.

I wonder what the difference between the two are?

Just the W rating? 

22 minutes ago, Frogeyeddog_95 said:

I wonder what the difference between the two are?

Just the W rating? 

Pretty much, theres so many versions of essentially the same charger. Yours can do 6s and upto 8.0a ccording to the description

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

Hi @Kpowell911 I bought the skyrc S65 charger and used it on the weekend. I just wanted to ask, have you used the 'Lipo Storage' function? I tried it in order to charge a 2S lipo I had just used up 3.8v as I won't be using the battery for a couple of weeks. It charged both cells up to around 3.8v but then sat there for a while and seemed to idle around 3.7 - 3.8. I stopped it manually in the end. I was expecting it to end the charge when it hit 3.8 on each cell. Just wondered if you have used that function? Also should you always using the 'Lipo Balance CHG' function everytime as I noticed there was another function for 'Lipo Charge'. There wasn't much in the manual to explain what the difference was?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, bigbadbond said:

Hi @Kpowell911 I bought the skyrc S65 charger and used it on the weekend. I just wanted to ask, have you used the 'Lipo Storage' function? I tried it in order to charge a 2S lipo I had just used up 3.8v as I won't be using the battery for a couple of weeks. It charged both cells up to around 3.8v but then sat there for a while and seemed to idle around 3.7 - 3.8. I stopped it manually in the end. I was expecting it to end the charge when it hit 3.8 on each cell. Just wondered if you have used that function? Also should you always using the 'Lipo Balance CHG' function everytime as I noticed there was another function for 'Lipo Charge'. There wasn't much in the manual to explain what the difference was?

Thanks!

My very limited experience would suggest you have done the storage charge correctly. 

The handful of times I have charged and then discharged it has fluctuated slightly. 

I think there needs to be some allowance given between both the charger and batteries used.

I tended to connect the battery back to the charger to double check the volts.

my charger, the one I recommended also has both options of lipo charge. 

balance charging ensures all cells are charged equally. This helps prolong the life and ensures it is safe to use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbond said:

Thanks!

Lipo Storage - Itll take a while to storage charge as I believe it balances to much high decimal place. Ie one cell could be 3.799 and one cell be 3.711, so its balancing them closer, thats why it appears “stuck” on 3.7. 

Lipo Charge - Just charges the lipo up and doesnt care if the individual cells are balanced. Its usually quicker but obviously its not great for the cells. 

Lipo Balance - charges the lipo and brings the individual cells as close as possible. Again it may appear to be “stuck” on 4.2v but its balancing the individual cells

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bigbadbond said:

Thanks!

End of charge cycle is always like that when you storage charge or balance charge, it's related to often overlooked discharge capabilities of charger, when one cell reach desired voltage and other not yet, charger need to  discharge full cell in order to top up other one, and they mostly use small resistors ( there's no space inside for bigger resistors) and change electricity into heat and thiscan take ages.

Edited by Douge one
bloody autocorrect
  • Like 1