• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

If you had a budget of £250-300 to buy a crawler what would you get?

Zyphruk

Hi,  I would suggest the carisma coyote sca1e 2.1, mine regularly outperforms more expensive rigs. used it hard for 8 months  and broken nothing

Edited by wombat
posted by accident before finished
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

Hi,  I would suggest the carisma coyote sca1e 2.1, mine regularly outperforms more expensive rigs. used it hard for 8 months  and broken nothing

I like upgrading my RC's what are they like for aftermarket parts? metal axles etc?

All i have changed on mine is the steering links for metal ones, the esc for a hobbywing 1060, the tx and rx for a dumbo rc and fitted a better servo. Check out the modelsport website for spares and upgrades. A member of my local crawler club has fitted metal axles from china to his and has had no problems with them 😀

• Like 1

I’d also recommend the Carisma Coyote. It’s a great little truck for the money. Check out https://smddirect.co.uk/password SMD direct for stuff like metal axles, inner fenders, bits of brass etc. 

Not as much after market stuff about as for more established (more expensive) trucks but plenty of opportunities to spend if you want to.

Would suggest getting a better servo, some metal wheels (stock tyres are pretty good) and a HW1080 ESC. 

• Like 1

Why not look around the used market?

if you want scale looks, something half decent to start with??

have a look at my sales thread, all you would need to do is remove the cage from the Gatekeeper (sell it on), fit body posts and a 313mm shell of your choice and your still under the £250 budget and then you WILL have a decent truck.

I have a new in box kit Coyote,  and run with other Carisma Coyote’s, you cant argue with the price for what you get, i hear that the v2.1 is very good, at the risk of being burnt alive, id advise against the ftx range, in my experience with one. That said, the outback mini 2.0 (1/24th scale) is a fantastic little truck for the money.

im not trying to sell you mine either, but please take a good look around the used market too, a nice scx10.2 is within grasp also, another excellent rig. Body shells are ten a penny, dont buy a truck for the shell, buy it for the chassis under it. :good:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cizardev said:

I've been really interested in the ftx range, the fury minus the jeep body looks good value as well as the hijack and texan. The geo is not to bad looking either. 

I've heard goo things about the fury 2, but the body is horrendous, hate the jeep wrangler style, its been done to death now

2 hours ago, Gaz! said:

have a look at my sales thread, all you would need to do is remove the cage from the Gatekeeper (sell it on), fit body posts and a 313mm shell of your choice and your still under the £250 budget and then you WILL have a decent truck.

I have a new in box kit Coyote,  and run with other Carisma Coyote’s, you cant argue with the price for what you get, i hear that the v2.1 is very good, at the risk of being burnt alive, id advise against the ftx range, in my experience with one. That said, the outback mini 2.0 (1/24th scale) is a fantastic little truck for the money.

im not trying to sell you mine either, but please take a good look around the used market too, a nice scx10.2 is within grasp also, another excellent rig. Body shells are ten a penny, dont buy a truck for the shell, buy it for the chassis under it. :good:

this was another option i was thinking of, i'll have a look at your for sale post.

2 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Here is my input i have the coyote and a few FTX outbacks, i do love my Fury 2.0, however its not stock, i have a better motor, 1080 esc and better wheels tyres, also removed all the rear body cage and at some point will replace the shell but its become a darn good rig, my Texan is also really good but again far from standard, my point is these can be very good rigs with some upgrades however, as a first crawler i will also say the coyote is a very good rig, i would not have the RTR again but kit build, but it starts to get expensive  when you add motor, esc, radio and servo plus battery

On 27/01/2023 at 08:44, Zyphruk said:

Ended up ordering the Element Enduro SE

I’m going back and forwards between the SCA-1E Coyote and the Element Trailrunner (IFS chassis) as they are both sub £250. 

Element is a more modern design but I‘m not sure about the IFS front end. 

Not sure I can fault the Coyote other than wishing it had a longer wheelbase and clear windows. 

Stupid hobby, I only got back into it a couple of weeks ago with a cheap couple of HBX16889 and WLToys144002 so I could race around with my son.  

Now I’m shopping for a scale crawler as well as costing up a Kraton EXB build on the side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

Note: Although it’s true I haven’t NEEDED to buy any parts for it, I’ve bought plenty of upgrades 😁

Agree with the above, my coyote has been used and abused for nearly a year now, and the only parts i have bought for it have been upgrades i wanted, none of the origional parts have broken or worn 😀

• Like 1

On 29/01/2023 at 20:58, Fat Freddy said:

I have the element with ifs and a coyote. If I’m honest, the element can get over stuff the Coyote can’t. Mostly due to the front overdrive I think?? It’s definitely a really capable truck.
BUT

The element has been less than reliable, breaking down on the trail several times in the 12 months I’ve had it, and parts aren’t particularly cheap. Whereas the coyote has been used ( and abused) regularly for nearly 3 years and has been super reliable. I think parts are cheaper too, but I haven’t needed to buy any so don’t take my word for it.

Note: Although it’s true I haven’t NEEDED to buy any parts for it, I’ve bought plenty of upgrades 😁

reason i was put off the coyote was that it isnt 313mm wheelbase

9 hours ago, Zyphruk said:

reason i was put off the coyote was that it isnt 313mm wheelbase

I believe Carisma’s Ford F-150 and Subaru Brat versions were 313mm but not sure on availability of either. Think Carisma may have discontinued all Ford based products but not 100% sure tbh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

I believe Carisma’s Ford F-150 and Subaru Brat versions were 313mm but not sure on availability of either. Think Carisma may have discontinued all Ford based products but not 100% sure tbh.

The Ford products are discontinued but a few shops still have the F-150 in stock

• Like 1