• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Puffy Lipo

bertberr

Interested in people's views on a puffed lipo.  Have a 1600mah 2S that i use in a couple of smaller trucks, balances really well (within 0.01v) and has low internal resistance.  Good punch and decent run time.  But it is puffy.  Keep or sling?  

BTW, all my lipos are kept in the garage.

It's never in the house, lives in my charging bunker in the shed/garage when not in use.   Suppose I was just interested to hear from anyone who has run a similar pack with / without issues.  It's a really useful size / capacity, so am loathe to chuck it out unless I really need to, but yeah I hear you, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer right now, at least until it let's go!   Then I'll know what I should have done. 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Tell ya what, bin it safely pm me your address and i will send a 1500 2s down to ya, floureon with XT60 on it then you stay safe dude

Nice 1 mate :good:

I had a fairly new lipo almost go up back in the summer cos my new heli's esc decided to letgo and it melted the jst plug on battery and it shorted out so better safe than sorry :good:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The issue might be if you are charging them in a cold shed/garage, and then the lipo is warming up when brought in the house, transported in warm car etc. The lipo will gain some charge as warms and cells can end up out of balance.

23 minutes ago, JonnyUK said:

The issue might be if you are charging them in a cold shed/garage, and then the lipo is warming up when brought in the house, transported in warm car etc. The lipo will gain some charge as warms and cells can end up out of balance.

Hmmm, interesting. So does that work in reverse? If you charge in the warm and then go outside in the cold you lose some charge? I keep/charge mine in a steel ammo box, at room temperature. 
It was -2 when I called it a day on Monday. That’s about a 22 degree temperature swing.

On 07/01/2023 at 20:24, Fat Freddy said:

Hmmm, interesting. So does that work in reverse? If you charge in the warm and then go outside in the cold you lose some charge? I keep/charge mine in a steel ammo box, at room temperature. 
It was -2 when I called it a day on Monday. That’s about a 22 degree temperature swing.

Yes it works the other way round also.  I'm not sure of exactly how much of a voltage swing there is but batteries will lose some charge by been cooled down.

Edited by JonnyUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1