• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Traxxas trx4m owners thread

Gaz!

yeh but the light kit is pretty good tho

on my landy you can have dipped or full beam, indicators or hazards, brake and reversing lights 

you can select by using the set button on rx 

• Like 2

There is headlights pre fitted, no tail lights which is common thing now.

i would like the brown F150 if i’m honest but yes they are super detailed for the size. There is room in the roll bar to hide a set of four leds for the spot lamps if that would be something else to consider.

i have a new in pack light kit here, i was tempted to put it on my defender but minus indicators, something you dont see when off-roading really…..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gaz! said:

i have a new in pack light kit here, i was tempted to put it on my defender but minus indicators, something you dont see when off-roading really…..

Surely you need the hazard lights for when the land rover inevitably breaks down? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Alex97 said:

Surely you need the hazard lights for when the land rover inevitably breaks down? 

Well yeah but the real world, you would get out and kick it very hard whilst shouting as many expletives as you can at it. :topbanana:

• Haha 2

If i get a hi trail F-150 it wont be for a little while as i need to sell some stuff and still looking at other options like axial UTB18...just seems with all these smaller trucks you end up spending same again in various hop ups

I am hearing the TRX4m has plastic gears in the transmission and some sort of "synthetic material" gears in the axles, also when these first came out seems the telescopic shafts can fall apart, so based on this i am going to pass on this model

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2024 at 07:46, Lone-wolf said:

I am hearing the TRX4m has plastic gears in the transmission and some sort of "synthetic material" gears in the axles, also when these first came out seems the telescopic shafts can fall apart, so based on this i am going to pass on this model

That wasn’t ever going to be a surprise to be honest lmao. :rofl:

Yes the gearbox and diff gears are plastic but as of yet our 3 stock Trx4m’s  are running fine so not a massive issue, as for the driveshafts, all they need is a little heat shrink over the rubber ring, again after the heat shrink mod our 3 stock trucks have had no loss/breakage. IF they did let go, the replacement plastic diff/gearbox gears are readily available and cheap, the Traxxas metal diff gears are only £11.94 and a set off steel gearbox gears can be had from £15 (Injora) upgrade steel driveshafts start at a tenner on eBay to £20 at Modelsport.

so all in all, its a easy/cheap enough fix IF  they did need replacing :good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gaz! said:

That wasn’t ever going to be a surprise to be honest lmao. :rofl:

Yes the gearbox and diff gears are plastic but as of yet our 3 stock Trx4m’s  are running fine so not a massive issue, as for the driveshafts, all they need is a little heat shrink over the rubber ring, again after the heat shrink mod our 3 stock trucks have had no loss/breakage. IF they did let go, the replacement plastic diff/gearbox gears are readily available and cheap, the Traxxas metal diff gears are only £11.94 and a set off steel gearbox gears can be had from £15 (Injora) upgrade steel driveshafts start at a tenner on eBay to £20 at Modelsport.

so all in all, its a easy/cheap enough fix IF  they did need replacing :good:

Gaz, this is the kind of reply i was looking for, proper info on whats what with these models.........maybe its back in the running time will tell

• Like 2

On 03/02/2024 at 16:59, Gaz! said:

Another little issue, again Injora…..

my lad went and bought the Injora servo, mount and horn kit, he fitted it up today and just like everything else, wasn’t a straight forward fit and the servo cable fouls on the bonnet scoop making the suspension travel have a massive “bump” so we sorted that, all is well and works a treat, next up was some wider hexes as the 5mm ones he had fitted allowed the tyres to foul the shocks.

again bought the 9 (either 9/10mm) extenders, fitted up until it was time to re fit the wheels, yep the hexes are a fraction too tight, i bet you cant guess what brand of wheels he was using???? Tried the hexes with Traxxas wheels and went together perfectly so we have had to file the hexes to fit his stamped steel wheels back on.

surely now, this is beyond coincidence?? It’s a proper shame as they seem a decent company and prices are very competitive, id love to see how one of those fully Injora’d goes together…….

I've built a few Trx4m's built completely from Injora parts. 

The issues I've had are with the servo hitting the bonnet / frame on the tarantula. That can be fixed with a different servo. Or do some chopping/ modding of the bonnet / frame. 

I've got the lay down servo mount to try, don't know if that will cause any problems (been busy with 1/10 stuff at the moment) 

The axles I've built have gone together really nicely, lovely and smooth. 

I did try using a different brand of hubs and heavier knuckles I bought from modelsport (neus racing I think). They will not work with injora shafts. The flange on the inside of the hub is a little deeper. 

I haven't used the 9mm hexes but have tried the 2-3mm longer hexes with no issues with Injora wheels and I've got quite a few sets. I have the injora wheels to take traxxas tyres, they work fine. 

Any issues I've had, I've contacted injora and they have always been good. 

Edited by steephill
Spelling
  • Like 1

The stock gear are reasonably durable for what they are. I've broken a rear shaft. The Injora diff gears are pretty cheap with loads of option. For what they cost I think they are well worth and builds a very tough drive train. 

Definitely don't right off the little Trx4m. 

• Like 3

@steephill, would it be possible to link the wheel that work with Traxxas tyres please mate??

been looking on eBay, some say they fit but the pictures just dont look like the gap in the beads are anywhere near big enough…..

as for “mixing” hop-ups, my latest is Injora alloy axle casings will NOT work with T-real diff covers.

the Meus alloy gearbox is very well made and goes together nicely though and a bargain at £11.99 (Modelsport). :good:

• Like 2

20240307_124650

Traxxas tyre on injora steel wheel using the brass ring in the link above.

They are a bit more expensive than the injora wheel brass rings but far cheaper than the Traxxas part.

• Like 2

Okay here is where im at, the hi trail IS expensive at just shy of £200 however, for a scale rig seems it dont need much doing to it has oil shocks and decent tyres, a good size battery as for gears for now the main one might be a metal low ratio gear set, and for a person like me that adores F-150`s it does look the part, so yes its back in the running, and if i buy a Traxxas i will have even more rights to slag it off ha ha

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Okay here is where im at, the hi trail IS expensive at just shy of £200 however, for a scale rig seems it dont need much doing to it has oil shocks and decent tyres, a good size battery as for gears for now the main one might be a metal low ratio gear set, and for a person like me that adores F-150`s it does look the part, so yes its back in the running, and if i buy a Traxxas i will have even more rights to slag it off ha ha

very true mate :rofl:

• Like 1

Im still "Overthinking it" some chat on a facebook group says it is good to fit the metal low speed crawling gears in transmission but then you lose and trail speed, another issue is the stock  electrics, if i got one i would like to replace ESC/RX and TX but that would blow the budget out of the water

1 minute ago, Lone-wolf said:

Im still "Overthinking it" some chat on a facebook group says it is good to fit the metal low speed crawling gears in transmission but then you lose and trail speed, another issue is the stock  electrics, if i got one i would like to replace ESC/RX and TX but that would blow the budget out of the water

Build one from scratch, it will cost more up front however you'll be left with an awesome rig and in the long run be cheaper. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Build one from scratch, it will cost more up front however you'll be left with an awesome rig and in the long run be cheaper. 

Looking at £75 just for body, this in my mind would work out super expensive would be cheaper to buy rtr and sell of parts to be replaced

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Looking at £75 just for body, this in my mind would work out super expensive would be cheaper to buy rtr and sell of parts to be replaced

I agree, when you take into consideration the cost of the body alone it's worth buying the truck you want and then get the upgrades. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Oh wow, I knew the defender bodies were around £40. I didn't know the F150s were so much more! 

• Like 1

If you were building it up completely from Injora parts you could get the wrangler looking body to keep cost down, only about £20.

The traxxas bodies are really good looking. I had to buy the k10 pretty much just for the body, not worth buying body only. 

• Like 1

Yes pretty expensive and not in stock, one thing i dont like about these is the TX but only way to change that is a new esc combi and TX

5 minutes ago, steephill said:

If you were building it up completely from Injora parts you could get the wrangler looking body to keep cost down, only about £20.

The traxxas bodies are really good looking. I had to buy the k10 pretty much just for the body, not worth buying body only. 

Thing is its the body that appeals, i am a fan of the classic Ford F-150 and traxxas got it darn near just right on this 1/18th shell and just about no other company doing the Ford these days, been there and done it with Carisma but hats of to Traxxas (good lord just praised them!) they got it just sweet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Yes pretty expensive and not in stock, one thing i dont like about these is the TX but only way to change that is a new esc combi and TX

I sold all of the stock electronics and in total made over £100 from the ESC/RX (£30), controller (£35), servo (£15), battery + charger (£15) and motor (£5) 

The figures above are from memory so should be taken as a ball park figure. 

The Injora ESC, motor & servo comes in at £42 so you'll still pocket a good £50+ for another RX if needed, the light kit and any other bits you want to add. Just keep an eye out for eBay's 80% fee offers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

I sold all of the stock electronics and in total made over £100 from the ESC/RX (£30), controller (£35), servo (£15), battery + charger (£15) and motor (£5) 

The figures above are from memory so should be taken as a ball park figure. 

The Injora ESC, motor & servo comes in at £42 so you'll still pocket a good £50+ for another RX if needed, the light kit and any other bits you want to add. Just keep an eye out for eBay's 80% fee offers. 

Alex thats an interesting though and Dumbo do a nice small multi channel radio with a 10amp ESC/RX combi for about £27 the X6PM-350.

The heart wants the F-150 for its looks the sensible head wants the Hobby plus Evo for its metal gears, portals and nice radio with decent electrics  i could spend on some really nice wheels and tyres, set of oil shocks and have  a very capable rig, just not the looks

power wagon.JPG

unitrak.JPG