• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC equivalent of a “barn find”? Vintage Schumacher touring car.

Fat Freddy

55 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

very nice mate and it does look a hi spec car for its time :good:

maybe you can raise the suspension and use it on the road/carpark ?

I had a similar thought. Plus the stock wheels are tiny, so maybe a set of slightly larger wheels with rally blocks might help with ground clearance too?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I had one of these back in the day, was very competitive 🙂 truth be told it would handle a brushless set up of today no problem, so provided you can keep it, Id stick a mild brushless system in it and run it on 2s 🙂

You had one? So am I right, was it intended for indoor use?
As you’ve worked on one, what do you think of Stormys suggestion to raise the suspension? Is that do-able?

Or would it be a bit sacrilegious to use it outdoors? I can’t see that drive belt standing up to too much gravel and muck. I don’t want to be that guy who ****ed up a piece of RC history 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

You had one? So am I right, was it intended for indoor use?
As you’ve worked on one, what do you think of Stormys suggestion to raise the suspension? Is that do-able?

Or would it be a bit sacrilegious to use it outdoors? I can’t see that drive belt standing up to too much gravel and muck. I don’t want to be that guy who ****ed up a piece of RC history 🤣

Its just a race spec touring car from that era. Its nothing “major” so to speak, so use it as you see fit. Its not particularly rare or expensive so dont worry about that. 

Some race series were indoor (usually carpet or polished floor), some where outdoor, just depends what part of the world you lived in, and what was the local track/club. They”ll be  set up different depending on the surface, but it was mainly tyres that were the big change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd check with him before I put any parts in.  Let him know your happy to get it running again. But you want to be sure he is happy for you to do it and cover the costs if he wants it back.  Then if he is.  Take it apart.  Clean it up and grease everything needed.  Check over it all.  Adjust suspension if needed to run on road.  Drop some new wheels on it.  And don't run a lipo on it.  As I doubt the ESC will be take one. Best double check that maybe. And see how it goes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

I'd check with him before I put any parts in.  Let him know your happy to get it running again. But you want to be sure he is happy for you to do it and cover the costs if he wants it back.  Then if he is.  Take it apart.  Clean it up and grease everything needed.  Check over it all.  Adjust suspension if needed to run on road.  Drop some new wheels on it.  And don't run a lipo on it.  As I doubt the ESC will be take one. Best double check that maybe. And see how it goes 

Agreed. I thought it might be safer to remove the original electronics altogether, rather than risk overheating a 20 year old ESC (no idea how reliable they were back then?). I think I’ve got a 1060 ESC somewhere and I have a cheap transmitter/receiver I’m not using.

Then if he wants it back I can just put the original equipment back in.

Might do the same with the wheels/tyres.

• Like 3

Schumacher are great for still sticking parts for old cars. I'm currently doing up an SST99 pro, which is the older brother of what you've got there. Schumacher also re-released the original Mission design as the MI1 a little while back so you should have no issue with part supply.

Running it outside would be fine, tarmac/asphalt race tracks were around long before carpet racing. 

There's a lot of people who'd probably be interested in the period electronics if you were interested in selling them on. There's a couple of vintage touring car/electronics groups on Facebook 

7 hours ago, ReggieC said:

Schumacher are great for still sticking parts for old cars. I'm currently doing up an SST99 pro, which is the older brother of what you've got there. Schumacher also re-released the original Mission design as the MI1 a little while back so you should have no issue with part supply.

Running it outside would be fine, tarmac/asphalt race tracks were around long before carpet racing. 

There's a lot of people who'd probably be interested in the period electronics if you were interested in selling them on. There's a couple of vintage touring car/electronics groups on Facebook 

Interesting, thanks. I’d need to be 100% sure he’s actually given it to me before I start selling parts. My Mrs reckons he’s just waiting for me to say I’ve given it the once over and he’ll ask for it back, but I’m not so sure.  I’ve tried asking, but he never gives a straight answer, preferring vaguely cryptic comments and leaving you to figure out what he means. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2