• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which on road jumping truck to get ?

Fremen

Hello friends,

Youtube suggested this channel called Stadium super trucks (link), which I've fallen in love with.  Now I'm absolutely fascinated with how well the trucks jump and land like a cat, with no bouncing after they land, it's brill. It's great too how a wheel lifts off the ground when they're powering through a corner.

I'd like to get an rc that replicates the full size ones, drive around on tarmac and do some small jumps.  There's so many models to choose from my head is spinning from looking through rc trucks for sale. 

I'm not after something that can go 900Mph and jump over the moon, just 1->2ft high jumps at max and racing around some tarmac.    Budget is up to 500 but if something fits the bill for less that would be great.

If you could only buy one rc for this which would you get? Any advice would be appreciated as it's so confusing. 

Many thanks in advance.

--Johnny

I used to have a Losi Super Baja Rey which was an awesome truck albeit a little out of your budget. 

What about it's 1/10th scale baby brother the Losi Baja Rey?
Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/losi-1-10-black-rhino-ford-raptor-baja-rey-4wd-brushless-rtr-with-smart-1336498

For me it's the live rear axle on these type of trucks that adds to the realism. If you look at the second hand market you maybe able to get one for 2/3rds of your budget giving some spare change for batteries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

New or used? Is ongoing costs a concern to you? Is your budget just for the car, do you already have lipos, charger etc?

Sorry, for a new truck.  Ongoing costs I don't mind as long as it doesn't get too expensive. I guess that driving on tarmac will eat up tires.  I do already have chargers and 1 lipo (3s) and a handful of nimh batteries.  The budget is just for the car, but I don't mind saving up and getting new bat/chargers the next month if that's what it takes.

Thanks.

Johnny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

I used to have a Losi Super Baja Rey which was an awesome truck albeit a little out of your budget. 

What about it's 1/10th scale baby brother the Losi Baja Rey?
Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/losi-1-10-black-rhino-ford-raptor-baja-rey-4wd-brushless-rtr-with-smart-1336498

For me it's the live rear axle on these type of trucks that adds to the realism. If you look at the second hand market you maybe able to get one for 2/3rds of your budget giving some spare change for batteries. 

Thank you kindly - that does look cool - I'll  check out some reviews about it.

Cheers,

Johnny

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fremen said:

Thank you kindly - that does look cool - I'll  check out some reviews about it.

Cheers,

Johnny

Yep definitely take your time choosing and do some research first. 

Like I said I had the 1/6th version so haven't had the 1/10th but they're very similar in configuration overall just different scales. That will make a difference though with performance, handling etc etc. 

Lot's of cool things you can do with stadium type trucks though once you do get one, ...what I mean is like adding extras like lights or other details to the truck if that's your thing and seem to go well on a large variety of surfaces sometimes without even bothering to change tyres. 

This was mine. 

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Yep definitely take your time choosing and do some research first. 

Like I said I had the 1/6th version so haven't had the 1/10th but they're very similar in configuration overall just different scales. That will make a difference though with performance, handling etc etc. 

Lot's of cool things you can do with stadium type trucks though once you do get one, ...what I mean is like adding extras like lights or other details to the truck if that's your thing and seem to go well on a large variety of surfaces sometimes without even bothering to change tyres. 

This was mine. 

Thank you GMBallistic, that's good advice - I'll check it out.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Johnny

• Like 1

Have a look at truggies too, a bit pricey but an Arrma Kraton 6S comes to mind and also an Arrma Notorious if you want an actual stunt truck, @Ant.phas a Notorious and is very fond of it. 

To make things even more complicated, I wouldn't discount a 1/8 buggy either, they certainly can jump and dominate tarmac with ease...and you don't get landed with a huge bill for big truggy wheels. 

Have a look at the up from the following brands to give you a good idea: Hobao, Losi, Arrma, Traxxas and see what takes your fancy.

Personally I'd go down the used route, the moment you give any of these cars a bit of abuse they won't be looking spotless...You can get some really good cracking deals on used stuff if you look hard enough 😎

Edit: there was a Hobao VS that @James.S was selling for £140 that just needed a new ESC (£40-70 depending on spec) that would have fit your bill within £200 and they're known to jump and certainly handle tarmac extremely well, however I see the thread is now closed.

Edit 2:

This would fit the bill 😈

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/251199-reduced-kraton-exb-with-max-6-4985-1650kv-combo-with-batts-and-charger/

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 2

Thanks Bert_w164 much appreciated.   That Kraton does look ace but I think I just want a truck that looks and jumps like the ones on tele (or youtube nowadays).  I really don't want to do any large jumps, just scale replica jumps like the real ones if that makes sense.

Thank you to everyone who has given advice - I love this forum!❤️

Here's my short list so far - in no particular order- additions/deletions/battle-advice always appreciated.

• Losi baja rey 1/10 (the body shape/style doesn't quite look like the real ones but it is close)
  • Arma Senton
  • Traxxas Slash - though there are sooo many models to choose from it's very daunting. 
  • HPI Jumpshot SC v2 flux
  • Associated Method Race Pro SC10

I'll check out some more reviews and report back at the weekend.

Cheers

• Like 2

If you haven't seen one yet a Kyosho Outlaw Rampage might suit. They look super scale IMO but probably less capable than the Losi or independent suspension trucks. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/kyosho-outlaw-rampage-pro-110-rc-ep-readyset-t1-gold-1330425

• Like 1