• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any Mountain Bikers?

LunsfordRich

Hi

Just had a bad experience, trying to sell my old bike on Gumtree.

Interested party didn’t turn up on the day, but we were  woken at 04:30, 2 days later, by somebody trying to get into my garage!

No chance it was the same person off of Gumtree?

Anywho, my old bike is a 26’er and having been using my son’s 29’er, want to move on to something more modern, not that there is actually anything wrong with my old bike really. Just want something to get me back on the bike to get fitter and shift a few pounds.

Had many mtb over the years, starting with a Raleigh Dynatech Pro then to on fs with am AMP B3.

What are considered good xc bikes now, geometry has changed so much since my “Dynatech Pro”?

Thinking of spending upto £3.5k.

Cheers

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Afternoon guys.  I'm thinking of getting an electric bike to get to work with and the odd ride off road.  Used to bike tons but after a stroke a few years ago I no longer have the ability to do it all myself.  The law says no more then 250w.   If I get bigger than that.  Am I going to get issues using it on the road if I'm Sensible with it. Cheers guys 

Any more than 250w, or trigger activation of the motor (rather than peddle activated) or an assisted  top speed over 15 mph technically means you’re riding an unlicensed, uninsured motorbike. If you got caught that could, in theory, result in some fairly nasty charges. 

In practice there seem to be hoards of people (most with a Deliveroo/Uber east bag on their backs) riding these around the streets of Cambridge without any obvious repercussions. 

I would recommend staying clear of any off road trails if you get something bigger than the leagal spec. Just because I see how much damage these do to the trails in our local forest (not quite as bad as people riding motorcross bikes round the trails but still not good). 

What I would say though is that you should see if you can get a trial of a normal e-bike from somewhere local to you. You might be surprised how much extra you get from the legal systems when they are set up with a decent boost. The specialized kenevo I had a try on easily shifted my 18 (or possibly 20) stone up a fairy steep off road track at near top speed without me really putting in any effort at all. I think the only place they might come up a bit short is if you had a long, clear, journey to do on the road in which case 15 mph might start to feel a bit slow after a while. 

Edited by BigGinge

• 3 weeks later...

I went with this in the end.   Been brilliant so far.  Made a massive difference to the amount I can cycle now without my fatigue kicking in 

Picture is outside my work at 5am.  Takes my 10 minutes to get to work now.  Flat out the full journey. Lovely to cycle 

PXL_20230327_034535606.jpg

• Like 2