• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LC Racing, PTG-2 R Rally Car Build

Cuiken

• 3 months later...
On 18/04/2022 at 15:21, Cuiken said:

Okay, been a bit lax on updating here but actually managed to finish it off.

Wee feast of pictures:

bJCrcvP.jpg?1

sOuqMNo.jpg?1

s6zkUfB.jpg?1

WDpMzJj.jpg

ZEtz0W4.jpg

o7PlmMv.jpg

WpPE7wF.jpg

Then got fancy and added the (not included) carbon mudguard braces and slightly bodged on rear bumper and sway bars. The bumper mount also serves as a sway bar mount so I figured I'd attempt to have both. Took a bit of modding with a dremmel but fits quite well now.

YesUQ9H.jpg

Cj8Oc6K.jpg

R2Cwamn.jpg

Next I needed to find a shell. Initially I went for a pre-order of a finished Killerbody Alfa 75 (looks awesome) but then there seemed to be stock issues. So, cancelled that order and instead found a guy on Facebook running a custom shell painting business called Craggy Design. Great guy BTW, very responsive and easy to deal with. His designs are (IMO) superb)

https://www.facebook.com/craggydesign/

He had a pre-finished Phat Bodies V-Rally shell for sale at a good price so I jumped on that. Here it is test fitted (after drilling body mounts and cutting out wheel arches).

cIfMvoo.jpg

BTW, that's all paint. Not a single sticker!

I then went to town with warmed up gorilla tape to line the shell, mounted the rear spoiler and added set of slightly wider wheels.

Finished result!

lm3GNpT.jpg

6jXX0cK.jpg

4JUbpz2.jpg

WCgU2xc.jpg

I'm really chuffed with how it turned out. The look is spot on and I managed a decent job of cutting out the wheel arches etc (compass cutter BTW, brilliant tool).

Overall, the kit was a joy to assemble. All parts were nicely made and slotted together without hassle. The instructions were broadly accurate with just a couple of inconsistencies with screw length here and there.

As I've said before. the car comes pre-hopped-up  with sealed bearings and carbon fibre/aluminium /steel all over it. The only additions I made were the rear bumper (front one with a bit of dremmel bodging, just £4.99 BTW!), sway bars and mudguard braces (weird that they are not included in the kit but very cheap to add).

I'd say the bumper and braces are worth having, the sway bars may be a bit unnecessary.

How does it drive? Well I've only had one quick outing to a local car park but I was blown away by the way it handles. The steering is sharp and fast. It slides and drifts beautifully (better than any other car I have) without snapping into a spin. Suspension is nicely damped so it moves along really smoothly too. The MAX10 combo seems to have worked perfectly. No cogging at all and very smooth power delivery. Top speed is just where I'd want it with a 20T pinion and, despite being enclosed in the dust shell, neither the motor or ESC got hot on a 10 minute blast.

As much as I love my XV-01 rally car, I'd have to say the PTG-2 is in a different league. Additionally, I don't mean to pre-judge the forthcoming XV-02 but I really don't see how it can better this car. Let's wait and see 🙂 

Hey buddy, great stuff and looks thrilling..  how did you deal with the longer wheelbase? Did you manage to get the 257 body? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 02:33, straight_six said:

Hey buddy, great stuff and looks thrilling..  how did you deal with the longer wheelbase? Did you manage to get the 257 body? Thanks

The Golf body I picture on the first page of the topic is ~260mm and worked great. I picked it up pre-painted from craggy designs on FB but I htink you can get the unpainted shell from DMS Racing.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/02/2023 at 08:17, straight_six said:

Just wanna show some pics running different body.. this PTG2 handles very well 😃 however I would still say XV01 drives more realistic

IMG20230205152849.jpg

DSC_0268 (2).jpg

They look fantastic!  Which body is on the PTG-2 and what manufacturer is it?  Both seem to have great fit on the arches.

On 18/09/2022 at 22:57, tomr said:

These rally cars got me hooked mate 🎣 

I'm looking at getting the kit, but the standard version (lack of carbon and no mudflaps) Unfortunately the top spec kit is sold out everywhere. 

I was originally looking at joining in on the silver can budget build, but this seems to offer a little more bling than a Tamiya TT-01 / TT02. So i'm hoping my first rally build will have the PTG2 as its chassis. 

What weights did you end up using in the diff & shocks?

On 10/03/2023 at 16:13, Frogeyeddog_95 said:

I'm looking at getting the kit, but the standard version (lack of carbon and no mudflaps) Unfortunately the top spec kit is sold out everywhere. 

I was originally looking at joining in on the silver can budget build, but this seems to offer a little more bling than a Tamiya TT-01 / TT02. So i'm hoping my first rally build will have the PTG2 as its chassis. 

What weights did you end up using in the diff & shocks?

Am using 55wt for shocks, replaced the stock springs to 1.1mm, front diff 20,000 cst, rear diff 15,000 cst. 

When you get one, make sure you upgrade the rod end first, I would say its a must 😃

6 hours ago, Douge one said:

how do you buy from them?

Not sure about over there, but here in my country they have partner shops. Maybe you can email them & ask.

Material is pretty thick & comes with mirrors & light buckets. The downside is perhaps the stickers dont stick that well

37 minutes ago, straight_six said:

Not sure about over there, but here in my country they have partner shops. Maybe you can email them & ask.

Material is pretty thick & comes with mirrors & light buckets. The downside is perhaps the stickers dont stick that well

Thanks man 👍 we got online shop with those shells ( apparently they design all those shells, but they come with team c label and advert pics look same)  unfortunately in UK they cost 40$.

https://landlmodels.co.uk/products/celica-gt-four-190mm