• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Beginnner DBX10 and general preparation questions for new purchase

stevewonder

Hi all. I am looking for a bit of advice if anyone can offer any.

I have not had RC stuff for a while now but my son was dying for a buggy so I just bought him a DBX10 from ZD Racing for his birthday.

I have heard that it's always good practice to strip down (to some extent anyway) and check it all over, plus add grease in the diff and oil in the shocks.

I have no clue what types of grease or oils to use for this. Can anyone recommend it please?

Grateful for any other comments/thoughts on what I should do to prepare the truck for him and try to avoid any breakages due to manufacturing errors!
thanks

If it was me part of the fun of owning a RC car is the stripping down and repairing, just get out and use it, hitting a tree will break it before a part fails in most cases 😉

Edited by Brian-2.0

Thanks. fair point. But I'd still be interested to learn how to do the repairs. Do you know of any good beginner guides for maintaining/greasing etc?

I have heard that these chinese cars often come with problems such as the diff overtightened (not free) and thus overheating/melting very quickly. I'd like to avoid easily avoidable problems. Just no idea where you get grease or what type to buy!

You will find most things on here or youtube, oils should be listed in the manual if not then just go with a recommended oil, wheelspin models are a great help.

parts you may have to use UK.Bangood.com or ebay 

Thanks

"oils should be listed in the manual if not then just go with a recommended oil" - Great if they are listed in manual, re recommendations that's the purpose of this post as I haven't a clue what's recommended!

Edited by stevewonder

5 hours ago, stevewonder said:

Thanks

"oils should be listed in the manual if not then just go with a recommended oil" - Great if they are listed in manual, re recommendations that's the purpose of this post as I haven't a clue what's recommended!

it is a bit trial and error using different diff oils, on ten scale models i just use basic teflon grease from decathlon this is what i use on my smaller models https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bike-grease-tube-teflon/_/R-p-144605?mc=8344430

on the larger 8 scale ones then i go with diff oil, as for shock oil i tend to use what ever i have handy and see if i like the way it handles lol

best tip i can give is try it and see but when checking it over before running, make sure you check the grub screws on the pinion gear attached to the motor and the screws holding the motor on as well and any cups on center drive shaft if 4wd etc and thread lock them with blue thread lock on metal to metal parts, never on plastic parts as thread lock can eat them up and stay away from red threadlock that stuff is notorius for not coming back off if u need to unscrew something, also thread lock the wheel nuts to avoid any wheels flying off 🙂

also welcome to the forum 🙂

edit: this is the threadlock i use https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/zap-technology-z-42-thread-locker-14329

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

Thank very much that's really helpful. Diff oil - what would be a good starting point? Washing up liquid? 😄 I have 3 in one oil, shotgun oil, high viscosity oil, and thats' about it. I can get to a Halfords easy enough if that's any good?!

thanks again. Tomorrow is the big day. and yes I have some blue threadlock, never touch the red stuff!! 🙂

• Like 1

As a reference, I run 50,000wt diff oil front and rear in my Slash 4x4 and 30wt in all four shocks.

If the diffs are not sealed then you will be better off with a basic automotive grease in the diffs.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/accessories/shock-oil

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/accessories/diff-oil

These are silicone based oils, I wouldn't use the oils you have mentioned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevewonder said:

Thank very much that's really helpful. Diff oil - what would be a good starting point? Washing up liquid? 😄 I have 3 in one oil, shotgun oil, high viscosity oil, and thats' about it. I can get to a Halfords easy enough if that's any good?!

thanks again. Tomorrow is the big day. and yes I have some blue threadlock, never touch the red stuff!! 🙂

You need specific rc related diff oil which is measured in weights. Diff tuning is a fine art, and what works for me wont necessarily work for you. It also gets quite expensive if you want to run different oils in each diff for example. You also need to check that the diffs in your RC are sealed, otherwise the oil you put it in will leak out. 

Heres my honest advice. The internet is great for RC information, but you can read into it too much, spend stupid amounts on upgrades and tuning you dont need to do. You have a budget car. Make sure everythings tight and go out and actually use it. You may be perfectly fine with it out of the box. At the end of the day, its a budget entry level RC, thats going to be used for fun. Dont over complicate it and compare it to a full on high level competitive race Rc

• Like 2

8 hours ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

As a reference, I run 50,000wt diff oil front and rear in my Slash 4x4 and 30wt in all four shocks.

If the diffs are not sealed then you will be better off with a basic automotive grease in the diffs.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/accessories/shock-oil

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/accessories/diff-oil

These are silicone based oils, I wouldn't use the oils you have mentioned.

Thanks very much. Thats a great start. I don't know what 'wt' means (weight?) but I will find out and those links will get me moving in the right direction, thanks again!

8 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

You need specific rc related diff oil which is measured in weights. Diff tuning is a fine art, and what works for me wont necessarily work for you. It also gets quite expensive if you want to run different oils in each diff for example. You also need to check that the diffs in your RC are sealed, otherwise the oil you put it in will leak out. 

Heres my honest advice. The internet is great for RC information, but you can read into it too much, spend stupid amounts on upgrades and tuning you dont need to do. You have a budget car. Make sure everythings tight and go out and actually use it. You may be perfectly fine with it out of the box. At the end of the day, its a budget entry level RC, thats going to be used for fun. Dont over complicate it and compare it to a full on high level competitive race Rc

Fair point, but i am not comparing it to anything better, it's all kinda relative. For me, being broke as a very very broke thing, making this budget RC car last longer than it would by just using and abusing it, is worth the time. If it's only small spend of course. No I wont be spending out much on it, but some good maintenance, checks etc, and lubes, that should hopefully at least make it last as long as it can! Thanks, i will post a few pics, tomorrow is the big day!

Well we got it running, and it was GREAT fun! He loved it! I broke the spoiler, oops! Need to get a wheelie bar if you can get them for the DBX10!

One question - The front wheels are splayed out, pic below hopefully shows what i mean. I take it these should be adjusted to point straight forward? I see a tracking type bar I can probably turn with pliers, just checking RC Cars aren't meant to be splayed out like that? thanks

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by stevewonder

Front toe out actually reduces straight line stability but does improve turning into bends. I would dial it back slightly but keep a small bit of toe out myself.

On the rear a small amount of toe in is preferred because that does help with straight line stability as well as cornering  👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Interesting stuff thanks!

Well it's already in need of parts! Does anyone know where I can buy them? I have searched on Banggood and AliExpress, I see some parts but not the bits i need.

I need:

Wheel bearings (one shredded already)

Body clips

A spare wheel and carrier, should have bought that one as I snapped the spoiler off in minutes!

I’d go bearings from AliExpress - use callipers or the manual to figure out the size needed and order sealed versions (usually rubber sealed). Body clips also from AliExpress and then a new wing/mount from yep..AliExpress if they sell parts but possibly banggood if they don’t.

Imo the spare wheel/holder is more likely to snap off than a wing and won’t be as good for handling as a wing 👍🏻

Edited by Ross9999992
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

I’d go bearings from AliExpress - use callipers or the manual to figure out the size needed and order sealed versions (usually rubber sealed). Body clips also from AliExpress and then a new wing/mount from yep..AliExpress if they sell parts but possibly banggood if they don’t.

Imo the spare wheel/holder is more likely to snap off than a wing and won’t be as good for handling as a wing 👍🏻

Thanks, good call that. I can get a spare wheel carrier for under a tenner, but i see the wheels are more like £30 for just TWO, and only need ONE! So back to wing it is!

Edited by stevewonder

15 minutes ago, stevewonder said:

Thanks, good call that. I can get a spare wheel carrier for under a tenner, but i see the wheels are more like £30 for just TWO, and only need ONE! So back to wing it is!

RC wheels and tyres are silly money. My X Maxx upgraded ones are nearly £200 for 4 🙄

RC bearings are all the same, should be able to find the size in the exploded views then buy some from eBay etc

https://fiveeight0sixsix.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/zd-racing-dbx-10-manual.pdf

looks like the wheel bearings are 15x10x4? Or 10x5x4? Depending on which one you need

Which you can get here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372728187618?hash=item56c854cae2:g:9ewAAOSwafta31JV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360610614895?hash=item53f6114e6f:g:f8oAAOxyBjBTWPge

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 3