• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Poor runtime on Traxxas Summit

300bhp/ton

Can anyone suggest what sort of runtimes I should expect on a new Traxxas Summit?

Vehicle is brand new and 100% stock.

Haven't run it loads. First couple of runs I didn't notice it, or it ran long enough that it didn't bother me. But since then it feels like runtimes are pretty short. Have run it on mixed surfaces and driving styles. Although I've not had chance to time it as of yet. But compared to my other RC's the run time feels very short.

Is this normal for these? I thought with 2 x batteries the runtime would be pretty immense on it.

I've even been and bought some new LiPos to rule out it being a battery issue. But the runtime has remained about the same.

I have a pair of TrackStar 5600mAh LiPos (70/140c). I run these in my 1/8th Arrma RaiderXL brushless, 1/8th 4wd Carisma Porsche 959, 10.5T Tamiya Konghead and some others. Runtime is great in these models.

New batteries are a pair of Zeee 5200mAh (80c). Which I'd have thought should be plenty for a stock brushed Summit.

When running the model will be really punchy and run fine for a while. Then suddenly feel like it hits a wall. I'm guessing the ESC might be limiting performance. I'm pretty sure the ESC is in the LiPo mode on switch on. But it displays a flashing red light once it starts to run slow. You can run it in this slow mode and it feels consistent, but no fun.

On the last run with the TrackStars they are showing 3.90/3.88v on one pack and 3.92/3.94v on the other.

The Zeee's are showing 3.71/3.72v and 3.72/3.73v on the other, but I did run these longer in the go-slow mode.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/3019Revx2lvd?t=support

Reading the pdf manual on here I suspect the lipo cutoff is coming in too early, the cold weather at the moment won't help too. To verify this buy a pair of lipo alarms and run the car in nimh mode, if you get more run time before the alarms go off you know it was the issue. Long term I don't think you can change the cutoff settings on a traxxas esc so you'd have to use the alarms or change the esc, you might be able to get a new one under warranty but I'd be surprised.

What actual runtimes are you getting? are you running in high or low gear and what terrain and are you doing long speed runs for example all these effect runtime. Are you Trackstar's balance charged?  Also it's not uncommon for lipos to read higher than the LVC value as they dip under load. Are you running the EVX2 with stock brushed motor? EVX2 is know to have a cautious LVC 

I thought with 2 x batteries the runtime would be pretty immense on it.

It's 2x2s in series i.e doubles the voltage to make a single 4s  i.e your not running 2x5600mah

Edited by stretch
  • Like 1

For crawling and trails I can get almost an hour on a pair of 2s. I use it in nimh mode though with alarms. As stated it cuts off very cautiously in lipo mode. 

Think my esc has actually died on mine after years of use! Gonna stick a hobbywing 880 in , see how that goes.

Forget the fact youre running 2 lipo’s, youre not, its one wired in series to provide 4s, not lots of run time. 

A brushed motor will also be inefficient so will waste a lot of that battery 

That said, what run time are you getting 

7 hours ago, babylon said:

You've not really said what your run times are, What feels short maybe about right depending on how you drive it.

Correct, as I said. I've not timed it as of yet. But running it side by side in long grass the Konghead with a 10.5T brushless and a 4000mAh 2S LiPo got about double the runtime. I'd guess the Konghead was around the 15 min mark.

7 hours ago, stretch said:

What actual runtimes are you getting? are you running in high or low gear and what terrain and are you doing long speed runs for example all these effect runtime. Are you Trackstar's balance charged?  Also it's not uncommon for lipos to read higher than the LVC value as they dip under load. Are you running the EVX2 with stock brushed motor? EVX2 is know to have a cautious LVC 

It's 2x2s in series i.e doubles the voltage to make a single 4s  i.e your not running 2x5600mah

Some runs have been mostly high gear on a concrete yard sort of speed bashing, but some crawling and use of low for these runs. Other runs have been on long grass in a field, mostly high. And then some long grass/hills in low and high. Run times have felt comparable in all situations though.

Yes, cells are balanced charged. Pretty sure it is the EVX2 as it was only bought middle of Dec '21, so should have been latest variant.

I understand how the cells are wired, but pumping out 14.8v means it should need less amps. I know it is quite big and heavy with big tyres. I just expected comparable runtimes to some of my other RC's and it seems to be more like 40-50%. Despite having way more Wh (aka 'energy') on board.

17 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

For what its worth Id expect 20 mins out of your current set up. How close is that to what you’re getting 

Thanks, yes that is helpful and is kinda of what I thought it should do. I'll see if I can get a timed run, but it 'feels' more like 7-9 mins.

I used to squish in 8000mah packs, they'd easily get me a half hour of mixed use running. 

If you're driving it hard in high gear, that will reduce the runtime, but sub ten minutes does sound too short.