• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

So, if I were to buy our first ever crawler?

SWF

Hi Stimpy

Thanks for the comments, you and the others are a great help!

I’m currently trying to resist the 15% off that Align Trex  have on the Ecto, makes it sub £300 RTR, giving me lots of scope for mods if need be, or fancy takes me!

I’ll be a Holmes boy if I take to crawling, for sure, but think waiting for Crawlmaster V3 would make sense from an investment point of view. Brushed would seem better value until then?

Thanks again

Steve

Re the V3 - depends upon what loading you put on your rig tbh. If heavy-ish then a Crawlmaster will never be the solution but if regular / light then will certainly be a great light solution👍. It will also be miles ahead of the others for out runner control and the only one to offer a silenced out runner!.. I certainly plan to run one once they are sorted but will be gutted to lose the noise...

Nothing wrong in starting with a cheaper brushless system at all. I still have a couple of 1080s running brushless motors in my Trail finders.... Have had hrs of fun with lower budget gear. Perhaps as many do, couple a 1080 with one of Holmes cheaper Crawlmaster cans and enjoy.

Then see how you go with the Capra and if you want to upgrade in the future then do so - or perhaps you'll feel it plenty as is and just enjoy 👍

• Like 1

Hi Steve, Sorry posted the other week then ran without thought of checking back to see how you got on. 

Looks like you are possibly honing in on a capra - good choice.  Though the Vanquish and the Ecto also don't look bad at all.  honestly think you will probably enjoy any of them. I would probably be looking at increasing the fleet with a vanquish if i hadn't just added a Ryft and GOM to the list.  I know someone who runs a gatekeeper which shares alot of similarities with the ecto and loves it, 

As for my capra i have boom racing high mass beadlocks (2.2's) with Hustler tyres, hobbywing AXE 2300kv combo, 46kg JX servo, longer rod ends (increases the wheelbase a bit so it looks better proportioned on 2.2's). i have also fitted the TGH wild overdrive gears with about 30% front overdrive.

I do have a vitavon gearbox and a flat skid on there, my stock gearbox was a bit noisy and i couldnt fix it, these came up at a decent price, Though I'm still tempted to maybe swap in an Axial 3 gear trans at some point.   i also have some brass portal covers for the front but not decided if i want to fit them yet. 

As i said before i have found the hobbywing AXE combo's to be pretty faultless and smoother control than my castle slate combo's, but the castle/holmes combo as Stimpy said is probably a lighter setup if your after the out and out performance.  If you go with a brushed set up for now until the V3's Stimpy was talking about are released i would go 1080 esc and a cheap 35T motor or 16T 5slot motor, the 1080 esc is about £40 and the motors you can pick up for less than £20.  (personally i wouldn't buy one of the sealed can crawlmaster motors when i can get get a openable ones for less money and get it tweaked and tuned a little)

• Like 1

Hi Darkangel

Thanks for checking back, much appreciated.

The Capra is top of the list, with the Ecto a close second. The Vanquish is too much of an extravagance for a first entry into crawlers.

On the Capra, I’m worried about breaking axles and the high gearing. On the Ecto, the ground clearance and stability due to it’s narrow track.

Stimpy, another great help to me here, tells me the axles are not weak and not to worry. I should learn to listen!

I’m happy about choosing electrics now, just trying to decide kit or RTR?

Again, you’re all a great help and I’ll keep you up to date.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Like Stimpy i have had no issues with the axles, i know some people have but also some people are idiots and without seeing how they have done it who is to say its not their fault. I have however beaten a bit on several other axial trucks over the years and don't think i have ever broken an axle.  

Yes the gearing is high but it still crawls fine, i do keep tossing up the idea of putting a 3 gear in with dig, 

Also one thing i have found it the gearbox is noisy, even swapping to the ally box i can't seem to make it quiet as i would like, though i have seen others i don't think suffer this. might pull it apart sometime and take a look. 

Personally i would go kit as i like the build, would prob swap out the electrics anyway and dont need another TX/RX

• Like 2

Hi Darkangel

Can you confirm that the Hobbywing Axe motor fits the Capra? Seen a video suggesting the Axe is 540L can size and the chassis needs cutting away for it to fit. I won’t be doing that.

Knowing for sure will save me the hassle of buying parts that don’t fit, haha. Something that I thought I had straight.

Cheers

Steve

4 hours ago, SWF said:

Hi Darkangel

Can you confirm that the Hobbywing Axe motor fits the Capra? Seen a video suggesting the Axe is 540L can size and the chassis needs cutting away for it to fit. I won’t be doing that.

Knowing for sure will save me the hassle of buying parts that don’t fit, haha. Something that I thought I had straight.

Cheers

Steve

You might want to look at the axe R1 series those motors fit afaik. the R2 are longer even for the non L versions.
Eg
https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/hobbywing-xerun-axe-540-1800kv-foc-sensored-b-less-v1-1-combo-89531

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 13:44, darkangelv24 said:

Like Stimpy i have had no issues with the axles, i know some people have but also some people are idiots and without seeing how they have done it who is to say its not their fault. I have however beaten a bit on several other axial trucks over the years and don't think i have ever broken an axle.  

Yes the gearing is high but it still crawls fine, i do keep tossing up the idea of putting a 3 gear in with dig, 

Also one thing i have found it the gearbox is noisy, even swapping to the ally box i can't seem to make it quiet as i would like, though i have seen others i don't think suffer this. might pull it apart sometime and take a look. 

Personally i would go kit as i like the build, would prob swap out the electrics anyway and dont need another TX/RX

Just a side note here; I also didn't find the. gearing to be a real issue in the Capra. Sure it is funky, but with a lower rpm motor there really is no issue. 

That said, the 2.2 leg rig thing I'm building - think I sent you a pic - has the 3 gear and dig and I that does go really well...

More Horses for Courses than anything else 👍

• Like 1