• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Alex's 1/16 Summit trail truck

Alex97

58 minutes ago, Ross9999992 said:

Stock shocks don’t hold oil 😕

I would imagine on a crawler you’d want even softer springs anyway to help with articulation?

I'll see how they go.

59 minutes ago, tomr said:

As overpriced as these are new I’m gunna have to order myself one.

Watching yours take shape has tipped my over the edge 😁

I wouldn't pay almost £300 for this as you need to spend another £50 minimum to sort it out. I'd suggest 2nd hand. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

I wouldn't pay almost £300 for this as you need to spend another £50 minimum to sort it out. I'd suggest 2nd hand. 

Managed to pick a decent used one up of Facebook just now with a few upgrades, batteries etc 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomr said:

Managed to pick a decent used one up of Facebook just now with a few upgrades, batteries etc 👍

Very nice, if you get stuck with anything feel free to drop me a PM. 

On another note I did the gear swap to lower the overall ratio, I wasn't a fan and ended up switching it back as it was far too slow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Very nice, if you get stuck with anything feel free to drop me a PM. 

On another note I did the gear swap to lower the overall ratio, I wasn't a fan and ended up switching it back as it was far too slow. 

Thanks buddy 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redback said:

This is a great idea, love to see a video of it running, how it look with 1.9s?

I've never really filmed much however I do have a gopro so might give it ago. 

I had a play around with it in the living room and it didn't really struggle with much. Currently I'm waiting for the hex extenders before I take it outside so give me a week or so. 

• Like 1

I gave this it's first hoot around the garden today, it handeled the flower beds with no problems but I'm still waiting for my hex extenders before I give it a proper run. I think I'm going to look into a slightly quicker motor or play around with the gearing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

I gave this it's first hoot around the garden today, it handeled the flower beds with no problems but I'm still waiting for my hex extenders before I give it a proper run. I think I'm going to look into a slightly quicker motor or play around with the gearing. 

Maybe a stock Tamiya 27 turn motor? 
Will be testing mine this weekend in stock form except from a 19t pinion So will be more helpful in terms of speeds etc 

10 minutes ago, tomr said:

Maybe a stock Tamiya 27 turn motor? 
Will be testing mine this weekend in stock form except from a 19t pinion So will be more helpful in terms of speeds etc 

I've got two of them so might give one a try. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

15mm hex extenders fitted, with a small amount of modification required! 

Batterys are charged and ready to go, first out is a recently plowed field that I passed on my run this evening. I've never really driven anything like this before so I don't really have a benchmark however if it goes where I point it then I'll be happy. 

20211015_201529.jpg

20211015_201534.jpg

20211015_201542.jpg

• Like 2

First outing was a success, nothing broke and it handled things pretty well. A faster motor is needed as it's a little too slow for my liking ,t he springs need to go a little firmer and the front diff needs locking. 

20211016_142704.jpg

20211016_140947.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, tomr said:

Not sure what’s in as stock but 700cst seemed to firm mine up.

Mine was the VXL so it has the softer springs, the rear was squatting wayyy too much. The front diff not being locked also made it 2wd at points as one wheel was up in the air. 

• Like 1