• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo Storage - Ammo Case

Malachite

So my pristine ammo box just arrive to store my RC bits, and more importantly, my LiPos in (they are my son's really 🤣)

I'm sure I read somewhere that I should remove the rubber seal. Can somebody please confirm if this is correct and the reason why.

TIA.

I’ve heard to take the seal out to stop pressure building up - have a look at a lipo fire on YouTube - they give off a lot of gas very quickly.

I think the fear is that pressure will build up rapidly like a pressure cooker and without a release valve the case will burst - maybe producing shrapnel!

Edited by walkbythesea

You take the seal out to reduce danger of ammo box exploding due to pressure build up 

Lipos when on fire produce their own oxygen so continue burning even when starved of air 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

on my ammo case i cut about 3 inch of the seal on 2 sides as i would not want an ammo box to become a huge grenade in the event of fire

I may try that instead. I find the seal helps to keep the lid closed without the latch coming undone. 

I may cut it on the corners, which have gaps in the metal trim.

• Like 2

The reason for removing the seal is to release pressure if there is a 'battery incident' ...

If you have ever seen gunpowder ignited loose, it just goes pop with a bright flash and no drama.

If you contain the powder in a case, and ignite....you have a grenade.

The gunpowder releases large amounts of gas, which in the open can vent...but when cointained in a sealed space, the pressure builds up until something in the container fails, releasing all that energy is one go. A LiPo battery in failure mode releases a lot of gas in a short time...like gunpowder does. The purpose of the ammo box is not to contain the gas, but to prevent flames and heat spreading fire to other things around.

If you have another means to achieve the same result of pressure relief, then that would work just as well. holes drilled in the lid should work, or a one way valve