• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pairing an ESC with Brushless Motor

WHill

Hi all,

I am close to purchasing a Surpass Hobby 3660 3500kv Brushless Motor for my FTX Outlaw and was wondering if I should combine it with a 60A ESC or an 80A ESC? What are the advantages and disadvantages or using one over the other?

I am running a 2S LiPo if that's any help..

Thanks! 😀

No advantage..... as long as the motor isn;t going to pull anything close to the limit.  If your motor is specced to pull 60A max load...then there is a huge advantage to going to an 80A ESc. If, however, your motor when geared correctly is only designed to pull 30A continuous...then it makes no real difference at all.

If the price difference is negligable...then there is no drawback using a higher ampage ESC, ti give you more headroom should you re-use.

The first thing, though, is to look up the max amp draw of the motor you are choosing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

That's always nice to know 🙂 ..... what do they do...just limit your motor adjustment to a range that couldn;t work.... like Tamiya do with their choice of 3 motor mounts?

2 choices of mount that slot into the transmission one way over geared 23t the default 17t over geared, spur is to small for the gearing on the diffs then wheels.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

...so you can work out exactly what pinion size you need for the available spur gears...and then not be able to fit it.

Faultless design...

Theres only one spur size and its to small, if you put on bigger tires you can basically say goodbye to any performance. Its why outlaws eat motors.
Edit so in this case, volt up kv down.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Redback said:

80amp its a big truck geared poorly, more is better in this case as it gives the motor more amps to work with, if you can get a 120 amp for that size motor it would run 3s nicely imo

Thanks for the prompt reply bud..

Will a 120A ESC be okay to run on a 2S battery?

The reason I ask is that that the manufacturer recommends 3S and above with a 120A ESC.

Sorry if this all seems obvious but I'm a complete beginner as you can probably gather!

That might be because the power caps aren't so good at lower Voltages, so there's more chance of Volt-sag under load. But I'm only guessing. 

Edited by Tug

5 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

No advantage..... as long as the motor isn;t going to pull anything close to the limit.  If your motor is specced to pull 60A max load...then there is a huge advantage to going to an 80A ESc. If, however, your motor when geared correctly is only designed to pull 30A continuous...then it makes no real difference at all.

If the price difference is negligable...then there is no drawback using a higher ampage ESC, ti give you more headroom should you re-use.

The first thing, though, is to look up the max amp draw of the motor you are choosing.

Hi,

The Max Amp draw of the motor (as stated by the manufacturer) is 100A.

Thanks again.

If I was running a motor able to draw 100A ...... I would want a 120A ESC in there not a 60 or 80A unit.

If it is rating the motor to 100A ( continuous, not burst) then you could fry a 60A ESC without getting the motor warm. I was always told that you should aim to have an ESC that can handle everything the motor should demand...and that you should have batteries able to supply everything the ESC might try to take....with a margin at each step for safety.

So a 100A motor would go with a 120A ESC with batteries comfortably able to deliver 150A ( which is the Mah x 1000 to give amp hour multiplied by the C rating... so, for example, a 5000Mah 30C pack)

Then try and get gearing that works!

On 22/06/2021 at 23:55, walkbythesea said:

I’ve just squeezed a 120A ESC and 3660 3200kv motor into mine - if it’s dry tomorrow I’ll let you know how it goes 🤘😎

484C566B-2F69-464A-84A0-94F49250504D.thumb.jpeg.b52fab9f4a4524e0ef4d953ed2ac177e.jpeg

Could you tell me the specs of the battery you are using with this combo please?

6 minutes ago, WHill said:

Could you tell me the specs of the battery you are using with this combo please?

Mainly -  2s 6200mah 60c as I have two and get great run time. 

I also have 2s 3250mah 20c - works but lacks punch.  

Or 2s 5200mah 80c - most punch, but lower runtime than the 6200’s - this is the battery I should try for my next speed run