• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best way to clean car after bash?

eddywatson

Hey guys what’s the best and safest way to clean the car inside and out? After a good bashing 

I’m a total rc noob so I don’t want to damage anything 

(I have an arrma typhon v5) it says it’s water proof but I don’t really want to just wash it like I’m washing the dishes or pots lol

cheers 

• Like 1

Brush as much crap off it as possible, then get it in a warm place to dry it off fast if it’s wet, then after a couple hours attack with a brush again and some GT85, exposed bearings will need a proper oiling every couple bash’s if they get wet, they can go bad very fast 

I used to hose down my 1/5 cars after muddy baashes....but I also would be tearing them down partially to dry off, blow dry with a compressor, and coat with moisture dispersing anti corrosion sprays.

Smaller cars....well....rags, brushes and elbow grease.

I hate having cars sitting around dirty, as it's a great way to ruin them. Clean...check...lube...protect....put away for next time.

Not sure my methods are correct but in summer/dry months I usually a brush to remove as much as I can.   Would usually blast moving parts with WD40 silicon and leave to dry before wiping down with a cloth.

When wet and covered in grass/mud then I would usually hose off the front and back end with a gentle hose pressure.  I then grab the air blower to try and remove as much water before giving a liberal coating of WD40 silicon or GT85 to disperse anything I have missed.  Unlike oil WD40, these both seem to pretty much evaporate in quite a short time and will usually just require a wipe over with a MF cloth.

In theory GT85/WD40 silicon should be fairly safe to any rubber shielded bearings (so I have been told).

I also like how 'new' silicon based spray leaves the plastics looking but that is me.  Some of the cars I see in this forum make me twitch when I see how dirty they are left 🤣

• Like 1

Brush  , Nano clean,  and  protect spray ,  i link one that keep the rig smooth anti antistatic to dirt

This is the very best stuff

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/MUC904-CT/muc-off-1-litre-cleaner-capped-with-trigger

Water

and

after cleaning 

2 spray little of this protection spray,  let it sit like 1hour,. and wipe dry then with a peace of old t shirt

or trousers. 100% cotton, you can use the same cotton many times to dry, it gets better with time,

more of the protection spray it builds up

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/MUC909/muc-off-bike-spray-protection-for-metal-plastics-carbon

This is the very best  protect spray. ,  it does not destroy bearings like WD40 does

The best way is spray your brand new rc car whit this protective spray before first run.

And keep use this protective spray like every second  wash

Best is use it after every wash

Silicone spray is also good,  after washing like WD40 SILICONE,  just avoid regular WD40

Make sure it is SILICONE WD40.   Just avoid spray this to Electric connectors.

It build protective shell you cant see, and this will lead electric power alot worse.

Avoid this to Lipo Connectors in ESC also Lipos, protect them before spray

The regular WD40 is great spray at Electric komponents, like esc fan connector ,

the  on off switch

and Lipo +  ESC Connectors

4 If you like better , or the best spray to waterproof

stuff like

esc fan.  receivers, servos,  and so on

use this 

Corrosion X

please watch video with this impressive water proofing spray

Use this Corrosion X like once in month

or every  5-8th bash

Edited by m-racing

WD40 doesn't 'destroy bearings'

All it actually is, composition wise, is a blend of light oils in a solvent.  If you have grease packed bearings, any solvent applied will dissolve the grease and wash it out. But...then so will any degreasing product.
Any aerosol oil or grease contains a solvent to allow it to atomise....which then evaporates off to deposit the oil or grease. You shouldn't directly spray ANY such product on bearings and expect them to benefit. Same goes with hoses, jetwashes or such like for the same reason. If you direct them at a bearing, you will force moisture in and lubricant out, but its not the product spoiling your bearing....incorrect usage of a pressurised stream of solvent is.

I also have yet to be impressed with any of muc-off's product range.

Their motorcycle chain lube endsup everywhere except the chain.

Their cleaning spray needs to be applied to a wet surface or it can damage paint finishes and for what they charge for it....I can get better results with old fashioned soap and water.

'cleans on a molecular level' ...yeah. So does soap.

Products like GT85 and WD40 do not attack rubber, but I would be very sparing with any product leaving any form of residue behind. Nothing  dust or grit can stick to.

Now there are many opinions, and many views.... but after 40 years of running all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of conditions, I stick with stuff I know works.

On 05/06/2021 at 15:03, MrCake said:

In theory GT85/WD40 silicon should be fairly safe to any rubber shielded bearings (so I have been told).

I also like how 'new' silicon based spray leaves the plastics looking but that is me.  Some of the cars I see in this forum make me twitch when I see how dirty they are left 🤣

WD40 dries the bearings out. Also it attracts dust/dirt.

Use GT85 on metal parts all the way. Also doesn't attract dust/dirt.

Silicone on plastics only.

These are from experience with industrial automated machinery.

7 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

WD40 dries the bearings out. Also it attracts dust/dirt.

Use GT85 on metal parts all the way. Also doesn't attract dust/dirt.

Silicone on plastics only.

These are from experience with industrial automated machinery.

Is this the same for WD40 Silicone that I use?  I thought it was very similar to GT85 in that it includes PTFE 

Any 'oily' surface spray will attract dust. If you are running in dry, dusty or sandy conditions, don't spray anything on. Corrosion isn't going to be an issue anyway!

In the wet and muddy running, sprays like GT85 etc will help protect against corrosion on surfaces.

I buy the non aerosol WD40, which I apply with a little hand sprayer. Gives me control over how I apply it....and where I apply it. For cleaning, I dip a cloth or brush in it, and scrub away.

The product is totally safe when used properly. It's a good degreaser, and it also disperses water.  When it evaporates it leaves a film of light oil behind. When you know what it does....the choice of what to use it for is an informed one.

• Like 1