• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WLtoys 124019 any good? Worth the £83?

LordRodders

Hi all, just came across the wltoys 124019 RTR car and from reviews and videos seems pretty decent. 
does anyone have one of these and are they worth the £83 from banggood? 
also how easy are parts to get hold of? 
mid they other car parts that will fit this? 

thankyou 

F2B32AAD-B2AB-41AC-B9D2-D22C2373DD39.jpeg

I've heard people use these for speed runs and can get pretty decent speeds using them. Not sure on quality but Id imagine the strength of the parts is reflected in the price.... 

I've got one and it's pretty good for what it is. You need to remember it's quite small compared to most 1/10 or 1/8th cars like Arrma etc.

Spares are easy enough to get but key ones like steering linkages and arms are the ones you're more likely to need. There's a few UK suppliers (me included as I went a bit mad when I ordered spares from China 🤣)

Converted mine to run a regular 2s hardpack rather than the silly little battery that comes with it.

As with all RC cars - it depends what you want to do with it. It's not a high strength basher by any means, but then it doesn't weigh 5KG either.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DAL3D said:

I've got one and it's pretty good for what it is. You need to remember it's quite small compared to most 1/10 or 1/8th cars like Arrma etc.

Spares are easy enough to get but key ones like steering linkages and arms are the ones you're more likely to need. There's a few UK suppliers (me included as I went a bit mad when I ordered spares from China 🤣)

Converted mine to run a regular 2s hardpack rather than the silly little battery that comes with it.

As with all RC cars - it depends what you want to do with it. It's not a high strength basher by any means, but then it doesn't weigh 5KG either.

Thanks for that! I have private messages you 👍

56 minutes ago, DAL3D said:

Sorry to take off topic but as you have converted to run on a bigger battery do you know how to do that for other WLToys cars such as the A979-B? Can private message if it's easier so as to not take this off topic anymore?

To the OP the biggest issue with parts for WLToys is the wait times ordering from Banggood as it takes a couple of weeks normally.

1 minute ago, sp0oner73 said:

Sorry to take off topic but as you have converted to run on a bigger battery do you know how to do that for other WLToys cars such as the A979-B? Can private message if it's easier so as to not take this off topic anymore?

No I haven't sorry. I only got the 124019 rather than the 144001 as it was longer and could take the normal 2s / 3s lipo packs I already had. The A979 being even smaller might Not be possible?

1 minute ago, DAL3D said:

No I haven't sorry. I only got the 124019 rather than the 144001 as it was longer and could take the normal 2s / 3s lipo packs I already had. The A979 being even smaller might Not be possible?

Thanks and yeah my concern is about what a larger capacity battery would do to the cars esc/motor etc as in damage or fire risk? They use tiny little batteries that last all of 10 minutes and would love to get a much longer run time from them it would make them huge fun. As you can tell I have no understanding of compatibility between battery capacity and discharge rates and the esc and motor so won't risk changing anything without advice.

Never owned a WLTOYS Model, but one thing I seem to see is everyone buys one, LOVES the hobby, but ends up buying something better soonish after. With that in mind, id save the £83 towards something better from the off?

I genuinely think its false economy, theres a lot of people on forums, with 3/4 budget RCs, full of problems, when they couldve brought 1 decent, reliable, well supported RC

• Like 1

I started with the WLTOYS  124019 it was fun and got me into the hobby but I've had endless breakages and waiting for parts to be delivered from China is frustrating. 

I occasionally still use it in the back garden. 

I run 3 979b's which I wanted for a bit of fun on smaller scale. Have converted 2 to brushless and better 2s and 3s batteries. They are small and a good introduction to rc and learning how everything works. As mentioned above you son grow out of them and go larger. Look on Facebook for wltoys owners there is loads on there

4 hours ago, ivess3 said:

I run 3 979b's which I wanted for a bit of fun on smaller scale. Have converted 2 to brushless and better 2s and 3s batteries. They are small and a good introduction to rc and learning how everything works. As mentioned above you son grow out of them and go larger. Look on Facebook for wltoys owners there is loads on there

Could you please let me know how you did the conversion as that's what I want to do to the 2 me and my Son have. What run times do you get out of them?

To be honest I have only run for about a minute so far as like most things I build end up as shelf queen's. I got all the parts from banggood ie carbon chassis ally parts etc. If you are going to use it I would stick with mainly stock parts as they are cheap if things break. I use a flysky noble nb4 which has a small receiver. The savox servo is nice bit of kit think I got from wheelspin models. Batteries I just tend to look on ebay etc see dimensions on advert and make sure they fit. I have changed spur to metal and replaced drive shaft all from banggood. 

There are probably owners on here that know more than me and certainly on Facebook a member called bigbeard he is source of all knowledge when it comes to 979b

1 hour ago, ivess3 said:

To be honest I have only run for about a minute so far as like most things I build end up as shelf queen's. I got all the parts from banggood ie carbon chassis ally parts etc. If you are going to use it I would stick with mainly stock parts as they are cheap if things break. I use a flysky noble nb4 which has a small receiver. The savox servo is nice bit of kit think I got from wheelspin models. Batteries I just tend to look on ebay etc see dimensions on advert and make sure they fit. I have changed spur to metal and replaced drive shaft all from banggood. 

There are probably owners on here that know more than me and certainly on Facebook a member called bigbeard he is source of all knowledge when it comes to 979b

Thanks for the info! I will definitely dig deeper to see what I can find out. I'd love to get longer run times out of my 959 and my Son's 979 as a 10 minute blast is never enough!

Higher mah batteries should give you longer run times. Just check the space you have in mm and then check with batteries advertised as should quote the size.

The space is tight though so never going to get great run times as bigger mah batteries will not fit. Here are some that I have used. The black one goes almost full length of chassis so have to move receiver and esc on top of chassis brrace

20210430_090647.jpg

• Like 1

Have 144001,124018 and 104001

I love wrenching an modding all part of rc for me. 

Got their latest release 104001(mods started as opened box 😂) brought from makerfire. 

IMG_20210425_112810.jpg

Edited by R46
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 09:11, ivess3 said:

Higher mah batteries should give you longer run times. Just check the space you have in mm and then check with batteries advertised as should quote the size.

The space is tight though so never going to get great run times as bigger mah batteries will not fit. Here are some that I have used. The black one goes almost full length of chassis so have to move receiver and esc on top of chassis brrace

20210430_090647.jpg

Thanks i'm going to try and find a 2200mah that fits which might be impossible. I've seen youtube vids where someone mounted the battery on a self made tray above the esc which works for the 979 but the 959 no choice but to find something that fits the existing battery space.