• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed Runs

Turnipheid

Hi guys,

Relatively new to the RC model gig. Only been doing it since lockdown, but i've already learned alot, through this forum (cheers!), research etc. (and almost kicked the habit a few times after disasters/money) over the last year!

Started with a Midnight Pumpkin, then a mutant Monster Beetle, then a Tamiya TT01.

I've got the TT01 pretty well hopped up now; not for looks, but for performance. Mainly aluminium steering, digital servo (perhaps altogether unnecessary), adjustable toe on the front, oil filled shocks with hard oil, 5.5T brushless sensored motor, 120A Esc (mod-able), fans, high speed gear set and a large pinion.

Started off with NiMh batteries, then 2s, then thought I'd stop at 3s, which I have just now, as I got better at controlling the car.

It's fairly powerful now, so much so, when I stupidly first tested the 3s on it holding the car off the ground all the slick tyres exploded. Gah.

The issue is that I can only go quarter throttle before I run out of road! Was using a deserted carpark on c.100 metre runs and getting about 50mph. Tabulated by my ancient Garmin strapped to the chassis.

Does anyone know where I can get a good, clean, road without traffic? I tried a dis-used airfield, but got chased off (politely). Ok, it was East Fortune and owned by the Museum of Scotland, so essentially private land (apparently it was a COVID risk me running the car on their strip with no-one else there). 

I probably need about 400 metres. Oh, I'm based in Edinburgh.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be much appreciated, as I want to reach the car's full potential (although, i'll probably kill it at the same time...again)

Cheers

• Like 1

Stormbringer, cheers mate. I'll have a look at the both of them. You seem to have added some cars to your ownership?

My specced TT01 is running nicely now, except for the tyres. I've got dish wheels on and soft/medium slicks (glued with very strong glue), but they keep ripping apart at speed. I usually go through one per run. Any ideas on how to stop them exploding, or alternative tyres?

Cheers

no gaffer the inside of the tyre 

depending on tyre tread some folks tie fishing line around the tyres so its in the tread of the tyre 

• Like 2