• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Suits' - Arrma TLR ***Woodland Basher Update - 17/08/22***

Suits

30 minutes ago, beyondRC said:

Love the VSe and a very capable platform. Always loved the Hobao stuff since the nitro hyper 7 days.

Will discuss gearing and options with you Ant when I see you for the Typhon as I have wanted to make it into a 100mph+ car for ages now but never had a place to run those speeds where I used to live but hopefully now will be a good time as we have some good locations. 

It be may doable on stock electronics setup but an upgrade will probably make things so much easier and less grief. 

It’s gonna be a rece between the 3 of us as I’ve not managed 100mph yet either. Although maths suggest mine is geared up and capable of. - I just need the correct conditions (and to grow a pair!)

The industrial estate we went to recently is definitely suitable and is a good option. Will be good to try out your spot next though 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

It’s gonna be a rece between the 3 of us as I’ve not managed 100mph yet either. Although maths suggest mine is geared up and capable of. - I just need the correct conditions (and to grow a pair!)

The industrial estate we went to recently is definitely suitable and is a good option. Will be good to try out your spot next though 

I want to check that industrial estate out definitely sounds promising! Looking forward 👍

• Suits changed the title to Suits' - Car/Build/Adventure Thread ***TLR - Motor is in 30/04/22***
  • Suits changed the title to Suits' - Arrma TLR ***Ready to go - 08/05/22***

Looks like I'm ready to go now.

Out with the Boys this weekend and hoping to give the TLR some carpark action and see how she handles out of the box. That said, if the weather can hold off raining for an evening this week I'll see if I can get it out and see if it goes as it should before the weekend.

The only tweaks I've done to the car is set the rear wing for speed stability but left the chassis as is. I'll drive it first and see if I want adjust anything from there.

Had a bit of an issue binding the Sanwa RX6, the manual says to wait for a solid blue light to indicate successful binding but mine just stays solid red. Every other part of the process goes as documented it just doesn't go blue. That said, I've managed to set my end points, throttle rates and I think all is set and ready to go.

Going to pick up some road tyres this week and a few little bits and bobs.

I'm going to hold off bashing this for a while and just use it as a carpark/road car, see how she handles, performs and just enjoy it.

Had such a great time learning about and putting this car together, as a relative noob its such a rewarding experience. 

10.thumb.jpg.c431dbce93e340cc5b21fad238ea13a2.jpg

• Like 3

Couldn't handle the football last night, so went out and ran the TRL for the first time.

Sadly the industrial estate I went too was having a late evening and was rammo, so I had to make do with an awfully pot-holed loose surface road.

I grabbed a very crude video of it, just in case it caught fire or it ploughed into a curb (sorry about the audio, I don't really know what I'm doing) which I know is always fun to see 😆.

Overall everything seems fine, it's very punchy, handles very well, steering could be a bit quicker and the temps all seemed reasonable.

It does feel very soft,  I'll stiffen the shocks a little to give a bit more feel through the chassis and get some different wheels and tyres as these have some super sidewall flex which isn't what I'm looking for at the moment.

BUT, it runs and it runs well, it's great fun to drive , very responsive and smooth compared to my other bashers.

Plan now is to go out with the lads on the weekend with their buggy's and see if I can get a base speed rating from it, as well as learn from the others who are much more experienced than myself.

• Like 3

• Suits changed the title to Suits' - Arrma TLR ***First Run Video - 17/05/22***
  • 3 months later...

Not really updated this much, just had so much going on, anyway here's a quick update.

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.6bc238da1b4e59e2bdd24503d42c8ca3.jpeg

So, after running the car in a Park & Ride for a while and being happy with it, it just kind of sat there whilst I was out bashing.

I've since decided to bash it a little as it would get much more use, short version - it's great fun.

Been out with it in the woods about five times now as a basher and even took it to Arc Raceway last weekend, where it performed very well as a semi racer.

I left the car as it was really, just switched out the Hoon's for the DBoots it came on and just went straight on the dirt and jumps. The motor pulls great and seems to be handling the abuse well, as does the rest of the car really.

I did pull out a rear bottom suspension mount with a silly landing and cartwheel, but simple fix.

RPM do a front bumper that I squeezed on to offer a bit more front end deflection. The woods where we bash regularly has a lot of roots coming through due to the dry weather and a few times it's just caught the car dead, this adds a good deal more protection to the car and look pretty cool I think.

We threw a GPS on it, just to see what it's pulling now and it topped out at 62MPH which is great fun, as the acceleration and punch it has is significant.

My mate Ricky also filmed a little piece on it for his RC channel, which was very embarrassing but was great fun and we got some good footage of the car.

IMG_3573.thumb.jpeg.0accbcaafdb31470e1a5b4b01e0c0001.jpeg

IMG_3579.thumb.jpeg.3007b8dd231c5b25ea66ffacc15aec6f.jpeg

Edited by Suits
  • Like 2

• Suits changed the title to Suits' - Arrma TLR ***Woodland Basher Update - 17/08/22***