• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Typhon 3s or HoBao Hyper VS

So, I fancy a buggy / truggy type to include in the collection.

I have a Typhon Mega, which my boy uses and it's perfect as it's bullet proof and handles in a predictable manner. I had bought a brushless setup to upgrade it, but I don't like the idea of taking a car away from him.

So... I like the idea of a Typhon 3s, but I also like the idea of a HoBao Hyper VS, especially the roller. I enjoy the building of cars and the painting, plus I have the brushless system I can chuck in there.

How does the VS compare to the Typhon? 

The curveball would be the Hyper SSTe, but I've read bad thing about how reliable it is. Is that the case?

what about the Hyper ST pro roller ?

ok its designed for nitro but roller no engine so fit battery tray and motor mount fit electrics and good to go plus its damm tough 

On 24/04/2021 at 08:27, Nick said:

The Hyper VS is the better buggy here all round I think, just a better built buggy that has a long history of 1/8th buggy racing, great quality parts and drivetrain. Great price too!

What is the availability  of parts like? I also have a WLToys 144001 and I'm forever having to fix that with parts from China, is it the case with Habao, are the parts normally off eBay / Banggood from China?

On 24/04/2021 at 00:49, Stormbringer said:

what about the Hyper ST pro roller ?

ok its designed for nitro but roller no engine so fit battery tray and motor mount fit electrics and good to go plus its damm tough 

Looks nice, but I'm struggling to find a roller, unless I have to go used, which I'd rather not. 

Hyper parts are usually easy enough to get hold of in UK and are fairly cheap Modelsport,Wheelspin and other UK shops stock them 

according to Wheelspin they expect the ST pro  back instock April 30th 

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/9792/

Edited by Stormbringer

No but its a truck mate  bit bigger with bigger wheels longer chassis higher ground clearance and its tough 

the vse is tough as well tho 

Edited by Stormbringer

vse is awesome get that, i have no regrets getting the vse as my first 8 scale leccy buggy and i only have the 100 amp version and i just recently converted my first 8 scale nitro buggy to leccy and super happy with that a old hyper 7, hobao are awesome 🙂

i love my corally kronos and triton as well but hyper vse is built like a brick magical house of solidness 🙂

• Like 1

Looks like there is a delay of a couple of months on the electric roller coming back in to stock, but I can get the nitro roller. Is the swap to electric pretty simple? I've zero interest in running a nitro car, so I would flog the nitro bits. Is this simple enough to do, or would I end up having to source loads of odd ball parts that are also likely to be out of stock?

possibly better waiting on electric roller coming back into stock

youl need a vse battery tray , vse motor mount and a vse receiver box which would add another £55 to it plus not sure if chassis will be drilled for electric 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

possibly better waiting on electric roller coming back into stock

youl need a vse battery tray , vse motor mount and a vse receiver box which would add another £55 to it plus not sure if chassis will be drilled for electric 

Thanks! I'll pick up a Lunch Box to 'use with the kids' in the meantime...

• Like 1

Theres a Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin thread on here with some usefull upgrades for them :cheers:

Edited by Stormbringer

1 hour ago, theboyfold said:

Looks like there is a delay of a couple of months on the electric roller coming back in to stock, 

I'd wait for the electric to be back in stock. 

@tomr had you decided to keep your VSE?

Only wondered as this member might be interested if you do sell. :good:

21 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I'd wait for the electric to be back in stock. 

@tomr had you decided to keep your VSE?

Only wondered as this member might be interested if you do sell. :good:

I did provisionally sell it as a roller but I don’t think the guy wants it now so probs will keep it if he doesn’t want it but thanks for thinking of me mate 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomr said:

I did provisionally sell it as a roller but I don’t think the guy wants it now so probs will keep it if he doesn’t want it but thanks for thinking of me mate 👍

I still think you should keep it as the VSE is a great buggy. You're welcome though. 😉

• Like 2

On 03/05/2021 at 21:27, theboyfold said:

Thanks! I'll pick up a Lunch Box to 'use with the kids' in the meantime...

sweet the lunch box is good fun, i bash the hell out of mine in the garden on 2s with stock motor, it just handles so silly and always a laugh 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I still think you should keep it as the VSE is a great buggy. You're welcome though. 😉

Still haven’t heard back from the guy so I’ll be keeping and enjoying it 👍

• Like 2