• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

convert hyper 7 black or buy a radix?

Yrkoon

4 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

I'm not fussy, the dominator will be going to my nieces an they don't need to be living their lives by quarter miles 

Btw what's the relation between you two? 😁

hes my dad and im his recently found out to be autistic son that lives in one of his rooms, im also a drunk 😛

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the center diff out earlier and put 100k oil in it plus got the front one done with 50k oil,

The center diff was almost dry so good thing i checked it lol

I guess i need to cut away part of the top deck next to make some room, coming along good so far 🙂

maybe order a esc next friday and a motor.

• Like 2

Great progress there! That drink looks really good too...

I like your yellow wheels. I heard the Losi 8ight battery tray fits well into the H7. Myself I'm just using strong velcro and a velcro strap to hold everything together. 

Btw that aliX motor mount, I forgot to mention it's really stiff to put together, I was about to take some material off the contact points of the two pieces, but brute force did the trick. 

Get some blue threadlock and some decent M3 bolts for the motor and motor mount, use threadlock and give it a day or so to cure. Otherwise it will all come apart as I found out. Threadlock on pinion grub screw too! 

It's a good time to check all your bearings too, I found some of mine were stuck/not spinning freely, they can easily be rescued and rebuilt. To do so, just get a sharp tool and pop the little plastic covers off, leave it to soak in some solvent (I used WD40) and took all the crud out with a toothbrush and replaced it with some Mercedes high temp bearing grease. I had a couple that didn't spin freely after solvent treatment, I used a blow torch, metal turned blue and voilà whatever was stopping it from spinning was incinerated and I reused the bearing. Though at that point you're better off just replacing it lol.

If there's excessive play in any of the diffs, good time to add shims as well.

Nice work chaps 😁

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yay the motor mount arrived, theres no stiffness on my one thankfully, both parts slide nice and easy together 🙂

roll on the day of pay and ill get the esc and motor ordered and hopefully screws on back order arrive soon as well 🙂

• Like 2

You can reuse the screws you from the bits you took off, I did and they're fine. Just process them in a solvent over night and make sure they're dry/clean before threadlocking them. 

To secure the mount, reuse the same screws from the center diff holder, threadlock them or they'll come loose too! 

When you rebuild the diff, if the gloop has a shine to it/could potentially be metal swarf, remove all of that. For that I used WD40, then washed the WD40/oils with Oxyclean (that stuff to remove stains), placed them in my dehydrator (I love making a bit of beef jerky!) then once all clean and dry, rebuilt with silicone oil. 

Some of the processes I've carried out may be excessive but I figured as I'm running heck of a lot more power, it's best to rule out any potential weaknesses I could find. 

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions if you're unsure. 

Edited by Bert_w164

19 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

mmmmm beef jerky nom nom lol

PM me your address, I'll send you some when I next do a batch. I marinate in a homebrew teriyaki flavour with a slight hint of chilli...

Or pretty much can flavour it how you want - cooking is another one of my hobbies 😁

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Thanks 1

Hahaha, okay you'll be my test subject lol. Nah I've done quiet a few batches and genuinely love cooking...I'm so taking your thread off topic, but here's some other dishes I've put together...

Philly Cheese Steak style manwiches

Chicken and Mushroom Pie

Beef, ale and onion pie

Dr Pepper glazed Beef ribs

Cumin and Chilli glazed Beef Ribs 

Kofta Kebabs and Beef Brisket 

Lamb Gohst (this sucker took me such a long time to get right and multiple sources!)

Yule Log for Xmas 3 years ago

IMG_20191008_211350.jpg

IMG_20190408_213701.jpg

IMG_20190408_213946.jpg

IMG_20200402_204721.jpg

IMG_20191124_204250.jpg

IMG_20190507_215215.jpg

IMG_20200413_171831__01.jpg

IMG_20200502_162236.jpg

IMG-20181225-WA0011.jpg

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1