• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage speed runner

Lone-wolf

1 hour ago, Redback said:

I'd have to re weight, will do when rebuilding. The lock wasnt 400g maybe 40g. The heavier the better but there is a power to weight ratio that will start to affect performance depending on motor and gearing.
The carbon sheet comes in sheets, this is a full sheet that i cut with the dremel, the front of the splitter is the front of the body, as the chassis is mostly flat it works pretty well. Id have preffered longer sheets but thats the largest i could find.
I mounted it first then cut out the wheels, heres before the cutting. Irrc it was about 15quid a sheet and this is 2mm thick from ebay.
20230625_165253.jpg?ex=65e49de9&is=65d22

ahh i seeee! sweet ill check ebay out thanks a lot!

So today I made a plate out of 2mm aluminium sheet to support the wing and keep everything rigid, I’m going to make another out of 3mm aluminium sheet for my other vantage which I’ll use to attach weights to

@Redback with regards to weight, start with 40g and move up 10g at a time? 

the plate should weigh about 40g on its own, should I add an additional 40? 

Sunday looks dry so in the morning going to take them out to test! 

D76F1813-200A-46C0-BECB-FA6EA5212627.jpeg

76004AEE-5100-414B-9F6C-7BA7DF1C8DAB.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

good luck with this, wonder what became of my old 60+MPH Vantage

Hopefully it went to a good home, and it’s being enjoyed !

Thank you! Road looks icy this morning so going to give the Speedrun a miss today, 

sad, I’m looking forward to see how it performs 😥

As soon as I get some test runs done I’ll update here 🫡

Friend just got a stock one, upgraded him to brushless 

7515179C-6FC3-45AB-9FA1-B0D0F0655D22.jpeg

• Like 2

On 24/02/2024 at 13:50, BagDouken said:

@Redback with regards to weight, start with 40g and move up 10g at a time? 

Im not sure tbh, this is a feel thing and i only started tuning these things once it started to flip.
i did begin with aero mods like you are but i found once it crashed and broke it wasnt worth repeating. (did some metal and 3d printed stuff)

I think the splitter is too large and sticks out to much this may cause to much drag and make performance worse, these things are worth trying for the fun, if you dont wreck the car i guess.
I note your springs are wound all the way, id look at tuning these and the camber and toe before doing any runs.
The green one looks like its toeing out quite a bit and the ride height seems quite heigh still, how far are the from the ground when loaded?

The reason the banzia now has the carbon fiber is i know they lift at 110mph + as another driver with same car is having the same issue, hes flips even with a long drag wheel attached so thats when this stuff is key..
I was looking at lonewolfs vantage a while ago, if i was modding the vantage, id use carbon fiber under the front plate and drop the ride height to the floor.
On the front plate id then have a block that has a 10` angle this would affix to the carbon fiber front wing.
Something like this quick 3d mockup.
Note the screw pattern, use 4 front screws 2 of the diff ones 2 of the bumper ones.

image.png?ex=65ee2aee&is=65dbb5ee&hm=fdc9c354a2994e5f66cd2b3ce5745369b44388bea52e0299a3cda922eca57184&image.png?ex=65ee2b67&is=65dbb667&hm=8abf2e830c4cefdb80a7431e63d92390aa255809b40453546b5b22f2a129f875&

The wing at default height would lay basically flat, as you drop the front ride height, you gain downforce as per the sequence below.
Left full droop, Right stock setup.

image.png?ex=65ee2b69&is=65dbb669&hm=390

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Redback said:

Im not sure tbh, this is a feel thing and i only started tuning these things once it started to flip.
i did begin with aero mods like you are but i found once it crashed and broke it wasnt worth repeating. (did some metal and 3d printed stuff)

I think the splitter is too large and sticks out to much this may cause to much drag and make performance worse, these things are worth trying for the fun, if you dont wreck the car i guess.
I note your springs are wound all the way, id look at tuning these and the camber and toe before doing any runs.
The green one looks like its toeing out quite a bit and the ride height seems quite heigh still, how far are the from the ground when loaded?

The reason the banzia now has the carbon fiber is i know they lift at 110mph + as another driver with same car is having the same issue, hes flips even with a long drag wheel attached so thats when this stuff is key..
I was looking at lonewolfs vantage a while ago, if i was modding the vantage, id use carbon fiber under the front plate and drop the ride height to the floor.
On the front plate id then have a block that has a 10` angle this would affix to the carbon fiber front wing.
Something like this quick 3d mockup.
Note the screw pattern, use 4 front screws 2 of the diff ones 2 of the bumper ones.

image.png?ex=65ee2aee&is=65dbb5ee&hm=fdc9c354a2994e5f66cd2b3ce5745369b44388bea52e0299a3cda922eca57184&image.png?ex=65ee2b67&is=65dbb667&hm=8abf2e830c4cefdb80a7431e63d92390aa255809b40453546b5b22f2a129f875&

The wing at default height would lay basically flat, as you drop the front ride height, you gain downforce as per the sequence below.
Left full droop, Right stock setup.

image.png?ex=65ee2b69&is=65dbb669&hm=390

Thats awesome! i wish i could do CAD stuff!

That gives me hope! because my front plate is angled down at about 10 degrees as well!

The reason why it sits so far and is so wide, when watching videos on speed running, they talk a lot about the limitations of open wheel  and I was thinking that this would add downforce but also deflect air away from the front wheels as air can get underneath and help flip the car.

Its a basher wing from an arrma typhon so it can take a hit.

Used M3 screws as i wanted a failure point if i crashed the plate is cheap and easy to remake or bend back into shape, and the wing will just flex and be undamaged.

You're completely right about the potential of drag with that wing, but i thought its got many structural points so, if there is too much drag i can easily cut some of the wing away keeping its strength and tune it until it works perfectly? <--- let me know if this is dumb XD

and then get something professionally made (like what you showed).

The shocks i was told by the guy at Wheelspin who did 104 with his vantage to make the front end almost rock hard with not much movement, and also to limit the travel. Its been really bugging me to actually test this thing but the weather is absolute crap at the moment.  

Also what would be your shock setup recommendation?

I just want to see how it goes, attach a cheap camera so i can get onboard footage and see how the wing behaves and make adjustments =[

by the way once i get a design that works, could you create it? (of course i will pay you for that materials time etc)

I really like that design, its very close to mine the more i look at it, it attaches underneath rather than above, and has 2x as many attachment points for more rigidity as downforce is lost in flex.

The concept is the same, mine just looks very extreme. (Probably because I based it on the limitless, the only open wheel car i have that just seems to have aero down pat lol)

Ah yes! you're right the toe on the front, the left wheel seems to be out much further than the right! Ty I'll sort that.

Edited by BagDouken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BagDouken said:

Also what would be your shock setup recommendation?

Limit the shocks so they cant lift only droop with rubber tube.
Remove the shocks and replace with 2 rod ends and some threaded bar.

1 hour ago, BagDouken said:

Its a basher wing from an arrma typhon so it can take a hit.

No doubt, but the metal plate may bend. I think keeping it close to the wheels vs far infront will have a greater impact to disrupt the air.

I ran a limitless and its front F1 nose setup would be great scaled down and bolted onto the vantage. mmm.
But for real you dont need a massive wing on the front to fix any issues until you run into them.

Here you can see a smashing run on open wheel and hes got a little wedge for the front flat wing at the back and this is 1/7th scale.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redback said:

Limit the shocks so they cant lift only droop with rubber tube.
Remove the shocks and replace with 2 rod ends and some threaded bar.

No doubt, but the metal plate may bend. I think keeping it close to the wheels vs far infront will have a greater impact to disrupt the air.

I ran a limitless and its front F1 nose setup would be great scaled down and bolted onto the vantage. mmm.
But for real you dont need a massive wing on the front to fix any issues until you run into them.

Here you can see a smashing run on open wheel and hes got a little wedge for the front flat wing at the back and this is 1/7th scale.

Jeez louise! that was RAPID!!

As soon as the body came off i could see

TP Motor, XLX2, no wonder it was doing 106 XD

Yeah the limitless front nose would be perfect, one can only dream!!

Yeah the metal plate will bend for sure!! but thats ok, as long as i dont hit anything it will do its job (i hope!)

Thinking out loud though, that front end design that hobao has, is way better suited for high speed than the vantage one!  The super low shocks that are angled to make the front lower, body covers more of it, body looks well suited for aero as well, is that GRPs on there as well?

hes angled it perfect to almost meet the body at the front.

Very very cool, i really  hope to see my vantage go this fast!

ONE DAY! haha but 73mph aint bad, just 27 mph to find to hit that sweet sweet 100, im sure this is the final hurdle , then its just some tuning and of course power 🙂

Thanks for the shock idea! ill give that a go as well! 

Thanks again for all the help, if you ever see me, ill buy you a pint! XD

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

top man that vantage is really getting quick, i can see you getting the ton out of it at some point, try and find a better road area to wind it up

thank you man! I have a mate whos a driver so hes been scouting places for me! Hopefully he will find something!

Roll on the ton! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

No speed runs but hopefully weather is better this Sunday! Instead I’ve been building and got some things to test! 

Green one - extreme downforce 

yellow - low downforce low drag 

chrome - my friends vantage - medium downforce but stock tyres, want to see if the wings will make a difference in how far you can take the stocks lol

hope everyone’s well and @Lone-wolfnice to see you posting on YouTube again mate 👍🏾👍🏾

so guys , whos your favourite ? 

876A16DF-31AD-4F4B-A85D-160B124B7E91.jpeg

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 01:07, Stormbringer said:

Gl with it :good:

Estimating 90s with good road conditions 

got 31 and 33 T pinions ready on standby and still haven’t added any turbo timing 

the maths says 

I can hit the ton! 

Just gotta get it done !! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

very best of luck with next run, keep in mind its getting light much earlier in mornings so an early sunday run will see less traffic, i would be super made up to see you hit the ton

Thank you so much man! I’m gonna go for it!

the weather is improving yes!! The earlier sunrise means crisper dryer roads and double digit temps!

it’s all coming together…

when I hit the ton you will be the first to know buddy , thank you again 👍🏾

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit quiet, had a speed run last Sunday hit 83 again!

Now I have more information, I have 2 options:

1: New power system to push it to 100mph

2: Gearing conversion to MOD1 / smaller spur gear basically

Does anyone here know if there is a way to convert the Vantage to MOD1? (I know you can get 48p spur as an option part) or other more favorable gearing?

Any direction / tips would be greatly appreciated !

Oh and my buddy got 62Mph PB from 56mph (nothing changed except for I added the wings to his car) on the stock tyres, going to see if he can hit 70+ with them XD

took them out today, i drove poorly lmao, lunched them both but fixable and not TOO badly (videos to come)

But, my mates vantage I put the wings on, managed 74MPH ON THE STOCK TYRES LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

(also video to come)

Couldn't believe my eyes haha